The start of my HF Cen-Tech hack..I mean mod

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
Now that I've finally located my shipment... :roll:

I got one torn apart (bought a few to play with), and started to make a plan to what I wanted to do to the 1st one. Here's what I'm gonna "try":

Got some of the guts cut-out, removed the LED wand light, and removed the wand. I want to make this to mount on the detector shaft, downward from the detectors control box, then have the wand on a cable, independent of the PP box.

I notched the circuit board to clear the nut for the cable gland I'll run the cable through to reconnect the wand to the box. I'm thinking possibly a phone handset cord between the two.

IM004324.jpg

The wand, which I have an idea on adapting to also accept a cable gland as well, and extend its reach by 4-5" (making it about 10" excluding the gland), but will play that by ear during assembly.

IM004323.jpg

I'll also be replacing the switch, with a toggle type "ON", since it would be too inconvenient to have to push a momentary switch on a detector mounted PP.

IM004322.jpg

This one will just use the speaker to signal, unless I can find a cord with enough conductors, I might add the vibrating motor, and possibly even a momentary switch into the wand. I could still maybe add a switch to choose between vibrate and speaker modes for target signal.

Untouched on the left, just for comparison.

IM004321.jpg

Hoping to maybe round-up some parts/material tomorrow, and will update as things progress.

You could use CAT 5 or 5E for the cable. It's got enough conductors already in pairs too! Otherwise, I'd suggest a old printer cable (the 25 pin ones from back in the day)... they're also shielded, some are coiled, and you could probably find a good assortment of cables at the local thrift shop. The one I frequent has a 55 gallon of "cables" for .25 each.

Just some thoughts... I'd hope for a nice coiled cable, but they're hard enough to find for headphones let alone an 8 conductor or so...

I can't wait to see what happens!

Dude you need to roll the RV over closer to the east coast towards the summer. We can hook up with some detecting and some modding. Good work

Get yourself a Garrett Pro pointer and get outside and hunt, and stop messing around with that HF junk. The investment will pay for itself, believe me...
God Bless...

I love mods, anyone thought about a way to put a hi power LED emitter on a detector? Something that makes the tool usable in dark conditions, and I don't mean suct taping a maglight either.

i used to build LED flashlights ten years ago, actually had a mail order business in it, now I'm hooked on the MD bug. Also I make my own LED lamps for my motorcycles. I would propose a variable light output light both for spread like a ring down and a small flood forward. If metallic conductors such as even an LED emitter is an issue then why not use some large diameter fiber optics? I use them for illuminating very small scale lights on my models.

Dude you need to roll the RV over closer to the east coast towards the summer. We can hook up with some detecting and some modding. Good work

Got another member up that way I would like to visit some day, so who knows?

Get yourself a Garrett Pro pointer and get outside and hunt, and stop messing around with that HF junk. The investment will pay for itself, believe me...
God Bless...

REALLY? Garrett makes a PinPointer? AWESOME!! It will "pay for itself"? DOUBLE AWESOME! :laughing:

Interesting mod. Would like to see the finished product.

Since I need parts, I did get another one done with a vibrating motor, and a switch to cut the speaker on/off. I also did come-up with a way to replace the switch, which everyone says is the biggest problem with these, that reuses the same button configuration. It requires drilling a hole into the wand tube to allow the back of the switch to protrude into it.

Stock/Left----------Modified/Right
IM004325.jpg

I love mods, anyone thought about a way to put a hi power LED emitter on a detector? Something that makes the tool usable in dark conditions, and I don't mean suct taping a maglight either.

It comes with one, and actually a fairly bright one.

Got some parts today, and just FYI, the wand is the same OD as 1/2" CPVC. So I used a 1/2"X3/4" reducing coupling on the end of the wand, then stepped up to a piece of 3/4" CPVC for easier grip, plus room inside for the switch body and the vibrating motor.

Got 2 options on cord (between wand and box), Cat5, and a phone cord (to handset).

The Cat5 gives me enough conductors (8) to mount a momentary button on the wand, as well the vibrating motor.
IM004329.jpg

Phone cord (coiled) is only 4 conductor, which is how many I need just to reconnect the wiring to the wand, so slightly shorter handle added to wand, and no switch/vibrating motor.
IM004330.jpg

Wand with momentary on button switch
IM004326.jpg

IM004327.jpg

IM004328.jpg

Not much done, other than what you see here. Still trying to see which route I want to go. Starting to lean towards the straight cable, so I can add the extra features.

Lookin good! I wanted to do the same "mod" a while ago but couldn't find the stuff I needed to make it look good... duct tape is ok but...

What's your source for the cable strain relief nuts and are they water-resistant?

I can't wait to see what's next!

light for md

i used to build LED flashlights ten years ago, actually had a mail order business in it, now I'm hooked on the MD bug. Also I make my own LED lamps for my motorcycles. I would propose a variable light output light both for spread like a ring down and a small flood forward. If metallic conductors such as even an LED emitter is an issue then why not use some large diameter fiber optics? I use them for illuminating very small scale lights on my models.

there is a guy on ebay selling a bracket that snaps on shaft and holds a mini mag flashlight, ive also thought about a flashlight bracket for a shotgun, havnt tried it yet. try this http://www.ebay.com/itm/METAL-DETEC...ltDomain_0&hash=item2a1a1705ba#ht_1122wt_1270

What's your source for the cable strain relief nuts and are they water-resistant?

Just search "cable glands", I got mine from Amazon since I was placing an order any way. No, not waterproof, but neither is the switch. I'm sure you could just fill the end cap full of silicone though, to seal it, then omit the switch and you have a waterproof wand.

Thanks all! I'm still kicking-around ideas/thoughts before an actual assembly (on the one with the separated wand).

I have done one with a new push-button switch, a vibrating motor, and a switch to turn the speaker on/off. Without too much tweaking, I'd noticed about 1.25" distance (to coin), from either tip, or sides of tip. I plan to actually use this one just to see how well it actually works while detecting.

IM004331.jpg

I'm still working on this one, (which is why there's a rubber band around it for pics).

I moved the button switch to the opposite side. This removes the need to drill into the end of the wand tube, and also eliminates the interference with the switch which I put in the spot the LED light was (and removed).

IM004333.jpg

Where the switch initially came on it, which I'll fill-in when I'm done. You could fill-in, then re-drill and mount the switch back in this spot, I just didn't feel like fooling with filling the hole prior to re-wiring.

IM004335.jpg

You can see the toggle for the switch sticking out to the right of the wand, which is where the LED light was. I don't have the washer/nut on the switch since I still have things opened-up (again, just rubber-banded together for pics).

IM004334.jpg

I replaced the push button switch with a on off toggle. I then replaced the speaker with a red LED. Since I have headphones on I could never hear the buzz anyway.

Sorry for the blurry pics. Will get clearer ones later.

IMG_20090101_000324.jpg
IMG_20090101_000347.jpg
IMG_20090101_000403.jpg

Lookin' GOOD, Gauntlet! I don't know how I didn't see this thread until today... You sure are classin' up the joint!

Excited to see what else you come up with for this - so far your mods have never failed to impress.

I do like that coiled cable, too. I find the Cat5 I used is just too... unwieldy. It's often getting in my way.

Kudos on your progress to date!

V

You guys are crazy with modding the pin pointer. If I knew anything at all about electronics I would try some of these mods myself. I just don't trust myself to not completely break it. Hahaha. I have the Same pin pointer and liked it at first but now it's a pain in my arse and can't stand it.

I think both cables (pictured) would be way too long for a detector mounted set-up, and a couple feet would be plenty of cable. Radio Shack wanted around $10 for the same phoe cord I got at Menards for $3 :lol:

I haven't done anything else on them, which is why no updates (but I will soon). Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom