RIP Sib Hashian- drummer of Boston

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
Will be greatly missed, and helped create some legendary tunes. Apparently he collapsed during a performance, doing what he loved most. They were unable to revive him. RIP!

Boston caused me great heartache in the 70's, I still haven't gotten over it.
They came out with their first self titled album which I bought and played to death.
Almost every song was perfect for the radio and most were in constant rotation on both AM and FM.
They had one of the biggest selling debut albums ever released and that album is on many "essential" lists plus most that list the top 100 of all time.
That album has sold over 17 million copies in this country, over 25 million worldwide.

Then came the 1977 Grammys...

Here was the list of best new artists for that year...

New Artist
The nominees were:
Starland Vocal Band
Wild Cherry
Brothers Johnson
Boston
Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band

They were a lock, who else could it be?
I almost fell off my couch when that stupid Starland Vocal Band won the award.

I never trusted the Grammy's after that.

This man's drumbeat accounted for more hours of pleasure listening to him than I can count in my youth.

RIP man....and thank you.

Oh yea...that Grammy award cursed that ridiculous band that won it, it was all downhill for them after.

Attachments

• BostonBoston.jpg
    BostonBoston.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 112
That was one of my very first vinyl albums when I was a kid, his mom was a teachers aide/substitute in my junior high school... Very nice lady.
R.I.P Sib

They came out with their first self titled album which I bought and played to death.
Almost every song was perfect for the radio and most were in constant rotation on both AM and FM.
They had one of the biggest selling debut albums ever released and that album is on many "essential" lists plus most that list the top 100 of all time.
That album has sold over 17 million copies in this country, over 25 million worldwide.

New Artist
The nominees were:
Starland Vocal Band
Wild Cherry
Brothers Johnson
Boston

This man's drumbeat accounted for more hours of pleasure listening to him than I can count in my youth.

Oh yea...that Grammy award cursed that ridiculous band that won it, it was all downhill for them after.

Did you say pass the salt? :lol:

:laughing: Okay! Okay! :laughing: Just having fun with ya man! :laughing: Here ya go!

Those late 70s Summers!! Everybody had that 8track and wore it out! I bet a lot of kids got their first speeding ticket to that soundtrack!

Even now, the local radio stations start playing Boston in the late Spring to get everyone remembering the Summer of their youth...Bummer...

Wow Digger, never knew that about the Grammy's...:shock: RIP Sib. (My younger brother Mark was a big fan. The first time they played in Rochester, my stepdad was a city cop, and was assigned for security at the concert. He took my brother, and a couple of my step-brothers with him. They all got to meet the band and crew backstage. I've heard that Tom Scholz was such a perfectionist, that it took forever to get anything done. Also, there is some doubt whether Brad Delp actually committed suicide....)

Wow Digger, never knew that about the Grammy's...:shock: RIP Sib. (My younger brother Mark was a big fan. The first time they played in Rochester, my stepdad was a city cop, and was assigned for security at the concert. He took my brother, and a couple of my step-brothers with him. They all got to meet the band and crew backstage. I've heard that Tom Scholz was such a perfectionist, that it took forever to get anything done. Also, there is some doubt whether Brad Delp actually committed suicide....)

On the show out of all the nominees they picked this band and showed the band's reaction after the winner was picked...even they couldn't believe it.

hawgdawg, the band made a total of 6 albums but there were problems along the way.
The second took two years and Shultz still wasn't happy with it when released.

Shultz and one of his original co-managers went to court over the rights of all songs Schultz supposedly gave away in a contract, and CBS sued him because he's was not coming out with albums fast enough for their liking according to their contract.
All this delayed the third album for 6 years but finally came out after Shultz won round one in court moved to another label.

We would like to think the music industry is all about music but more often than not it is more about money than anything else.

Last edited:
Brad Delp wow what a voice and Scholz was an MIT grad who had such a unique sound with guitar that the moment I hear any of their songs it's unmistakable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIP S.H.

I remember when the first album came out, I was in Jr High, and Boston was a really big deal and sound! Some of us guitar guys had to get Scholz's 'Rockman' powersoak, to try and imitate that classic sound -

New Artist
The nominees were:
Starland Vocal Band
Wild Cherry
Brothers Johnson
Boston

Thank God I'm neither hung over, or have a touch of the flu. The mention of the Starlight Vocal Band & their tune entering my brain, doesn't lend itself to a stable stomach.

It's early Sunday morning, very wet outside, this morning is a washout, if it clears I can clear my thoughts with detecting.......until then it appears I'm stuck with Afternoon Delight going through my head.......thanks Digger27 :no:

Thank God I'm neither hung over, or have a touch of the flu. The mention of the Starlight Vocal Band & their tune entering my brain, doesn't lend itself to a stable stomach.

It's early Sunday morning, very wet outside, this morning is a washout, if it clears I can clear my thoughts with detecting.......until then it appears I'm stuck with Afternoon Delight going through my head.......thanks Digger27 :no:

Right? Awful! :laughing::laughing: Try to knock it out of there with some Aerosmith! "Train Kept a Rollin" might do it...:laughing:

Sorry...I hate that sickly sweet song and that entire band so I figure others should feel my pain.
It's been 40 years and nothing has changed one iota so again...sorry.

Take two asprins or the hair of the dog that bit you and listen to Boston's album or better yet listen to these to help scrub that song out of your head.
The only cure for sickly sweet is insanity and dirty.

Last edited:

:laughing::laughing::laughing: (Hey Digger, add "Great White Buffalo" to that mix....:yes:)

Sorry...I hate that sickly sweet song and that entire band so I figure others should feel my pain.
It's been 40 years and nothing has changed one iota so again...sorry.

Take two asprins or the hair of the dog that bit you and listen to Boston's album or better yet listen to these to help scrub that song out of your head.
The only cure for sickly sweet is insanity and dirty.

Back
Top Bottom