Histroic Aerials?????

Vermonster

Elite Member
Haven't logged on in a few months, but wanted to check it out today for a buddy who lives smack in the middle of civil war area of Virginia, near the Battle of Cedar Creek/Belle Grove. His kids got interested, so he bought them an Ace 300. I told him that should be a good starter, and wanted to look up the old Topo maps, pre-42. Most places I have seen have topos starting in 1903, so I could at least point him to areas that had houses then.

Anyway, site is totally different, and worst of all, the pre 43 topos are gone. They used the 1903 topos up til 42, and changed in 43, erasing any homes that had been abandoned since 1903. So anything that disappeared before 43, was no longer on the 43 map. That stinks. Anyone know what happened? Did the older one become a pay service?

Sorry if it was already discussed. Like I said, haven't logged on to that site in a few months.

One thing to add, he has woods all around his property and his neighbors, and has found a nice stone wall in the woods, so it could be a promising spot. I'd like to help him out, but can't find the old Topos anymore......

I noticed this last week...I believe the site recently just changed its format...I used to be on there all the time. Hopefully someone can help us out!

Looks like they implemented a new GUI, but as far as content, seems to be the same, all the available date have not changed for my area.

IMG_2470.jpg

Click on viewer and the page will come up to let you search.

I noticed this too and so far I am not liking the new setup. One thing I noticed is the ability to mark a point. When you did this it would give the gps numbers. I used to use that often but can't find that you can still do it. A nice new thing though is that you can draw a line and it will give measurements. I used it the other day to discover that the house site I was looking for was 237 feet further into the thick woods from where I was, knew I should have crawled further! :lol:

They definitely changed their layout (annoying) and definitely took away some of the older topos but for the most part it's the same thing. Just more annoying to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed this too and so far I am not liking the new setup. One thing I noticed is the ability to mark a point. When you did this it would give the gps numbers. I used to use that often but can't find that you can still do it. A nice new thing though is that you can draw a line and it will give measurements. I used it the other day to discover that the house site I was looking for was 237 feet further into the thick woods from where I was, knew I should have crawled further! :lol:

When looking at the map, the left side of the screen has your tools, click on "start a new measurement" and you will get coordinates on your start point and end point.

If you just want old TOPOs then you can use the USGS Historical Topo site.

http://historicalmaps.arcgis.com/usgs/

Take a look at it to see if it helps for your area. I have used it for several sites, but have found that some of the TOPOs do not line up right with the under laying map at times.

Hope this helps
Ray

View attachment 378731

Click on viewer and the page will come up to let you search.

I will check.

If you just want old TOPOs then you can use the USGS Historical Topo site.

http://historicalmaps.arcgis.com/usgs/

Take a look at it to see if it helps for your area. I have used it for several sites, but have found that some of the TOPOs do not line up right with the under laying map at times.

Hope this helps
Ray

Thanks, I will check it out.

As for having the same info, my area where I hunt inland used to have 5-6 topos dated between 1903-1942. They are all gone now, only 1943 and beyond. So, at least for my area, stuff disappeared.....

Back
Top Bottom