How often to ground balance?

Reloader

First off obviously a newby here?
How often should I expect to ground balance?
What are the indications another ground balance is needed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depends....
Many detectors auto adjust, for manual types some hunters check it a lot and others just at the beginning of a hunt and that's it.

All ground is not equal and I have hunted in areas where it could change every 10 feet but I don't worry about balancing that much...I just check it occasionally as I move around.

Ground Balancing should make for optimal hunting but even if it is not balanced perfectly most detectors will still work well and find the good stuff.
I have found great things pretty deep and after checked the GB and found I was off but for the absolute deepest targets and in the most difficult ground...and for your own piece of mind, just balance and hunt but don't obsess about it.

Depends....
Many detectors auto adjust, for manual types some hunters check it a lot and others just at the beginning of a hunt and that's it.

All ground is not equal and I have hunted in areas where it could change every 10 feet but I don't worry about balancing that much...I just check it occasionally as I move around.

Ground Balancing should make for optimal hunting but even if it is not balanced perfectly most detectors will still work well and find the good stuff.
I have found great things pretty deep and after checked the GB and found I was off but for the absolute deepest targets and in the most difficult ground...and for your own piece of mind, just balance and hunt but don't obsess about it.
+ 1 , you will also check if you notice in the way your MD is acting HH

Thanks for the info. After posting the question I did what I should have probably done first. Tons of info on the web.
I have a feeling the ground balance question is like the what oil mix to use question in the chainsaw site.
Good bunch of people here willing to help.

A lot of questions get asked repeatedly , no harm , we learn something new or a refresher . GOod Luck. HH

Haha, I wondered the same thing when I was looking for an F5. now that I have it, I pretty much balance at the beginning and, if it changes massively (as it did yesterday when I was going from dry to very, very wet soil a lot) I'll reblance as I go.

I mostly keep in mind hey, my F2 didn’t ground balance at all, so if I'm close I'm way ahead of the game! :D

Every time you notice GB drifted away
Increased amount of falsings is a indication of GB drifted.

How to check at once? Whilst in hunting mode start pumping coil rapidly, if no signal then GB is Ok. In case of mineralized ground there could be signals in deep copper zone and that's ok.

Depends....

+2. Perfect answer,especially the "don't obsess" part!

Welcome to the forum here Reloader.

You asked a good question.

Some things you may witness,,,some falsing,,,detector could get unusually quieter too.

Remember outside interference (EMI) can sometimes be confused with improper ground balance symptoms,,,,,so additional falsing could be either improper ground balance or emi.

Raise your coil in the air,,,good way to identify if it's EMI.

a few times throughout the hunt...

I start out with a balance in disc mode, right to the edge of it occasionally chirping at me; it's a bit negative there. If it either chatters annoyingly or goes quiet, I check again and adjust so it it just starts to talk. I've found that the less ground filtering I can run (closer to negative), the better my depth and better my target response.

Back
Top Bottom