TRX Tip Protector

Reef Runner

Forum Supporter
Just got my new White's "TRX" pin pointer. Nothing wrong with the old faithful Garrett Pro-Pointer, but I just wanted to try something new, and this would give me a back-up, just in case one of them ever fails. So, being new and unscathed, I felt this would be the perfect time to do something about protecting the tip, on the new pointer.

First, I went to Lowes, where I found some rubber chair leg tips, that actually fit the TRX perfectly. If you'd like to give these a try, get the ones specified for a 3/4" chair leg. They come in a package of four (4), cost less than $2, and the length (or height) of each tip is approximately 1 1/4", which makes for a perfect tip protector, on the TRX. To install, place a nice dab of silicone on the very tip of the TRX, then slide on one of the chair leg tips. You may want to hold the TRX with both hands and push straight down against the floor, to make sure you get the tip all the way on (wipe off any excess silicone with a damp rag). Once in place, it's not going anywhere, and it may be just fine, without any silicone at all (?).
:yes:

Optional - At my store, these chair leg tips only come in black, but with a little time on my hands, and a partial can of yellow spray paint, I improvised. I taped mine, and spray painted after installing, but would probably paint them prior to installation, if I were to do it again. Of course, there's nothing wrong with black, so colors are completely optional. :yes:

image1 (640x480).jpg image2 (640x480).jpg image3 (640x480).jpg

Looks good. I Plasti-Dipped mine when new. Holding up great. It is more expensive but I had a bunch of other stuff that I wanted to dip anyway.

Looks good. I Plasti-Dipped mine when new. Holding up great. It is more expensive but I had a bunch of other stuff that I wanted to dip anyway.

Yep, I looked at the cans of plasti-dip, but all they had was black. I too had some other uses for the dip, so no big deal, I just didn't particularly want a whole can of "black"...... These chair tips seem to be pretty durable though, and hey, I got three replacements, should I need them. :grin:

Last edited:
Yep, I looked at the cans of plasti-dip, but all the had was black. I too had some other uses for the dip, so no big deal, I just didn't particularly want a whole can of "black"...... These chair tips seem to be pretty durable though, and hey, I got three replacements, should I need them. :grin:

I got a can of yellow, looks good on the Garrett carrot too.

That's what I did with my ProPointer AT.

I like ReefRunner's idea, too, but I prefer that more of the tip be covered than just the very front part. I dipped my first ProPointer like that (second pic) and I much prefer having it covered all the way to the power button. More protection.

Attachments

• pp2.JPG
    pp2.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 401
  • DSCN3919a.jpg
    DSCN3919a.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 415
That's what I did with my ProPointer AT.

I like ReefRunner's idea, too, but I prefer that more of the tip be covered than just the very front part. I dipped my first ProPointer like that (second pic) and I much prefer having it covered all the way to the power button. More protection.

Yep, I would have preferred to cover a bit more of the tip, but the TRX isn't really designed for scraping (like the Garretts), so it's basically just the tip that gets abused. I'll still be on the lookout for a can of that yellow dip, though. Heck, l might even end up with a yellow coil. :yes:

Yep, I would have preferred to cover a bit more of the tip, but the TRX isn't really designed for scraping (like the Garretts), so it's basically just the tip that gets abused. I'll still be on the lookout for a can of that yellow dip, though. Heck, l might even end up with a yellow coil. :yes:

We will see you coming! :D

Back
Top Bottom