NOT a Pirahna

coin pirate

Forum Supporter
I could have saved up for a good Predator Pirahna, but, I like to save money and create things, so, here's my new MD shovel.

First off, I buy a nice shovel close to fitting the bill already from Home D, has a nice long narrow blade, heavy duty 1-1/4" handle, and foot peg allowance with a good ledge for my foot already, and only $24.95 minus 10% for my veteran discount.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Also, bought 2 x 10" pices of heavy duty pipe, 1" and 1-!/4" for under $10
picture.php

Now I use my angle grinder to cut of the rivets off that weak a$$ plastic handle which would have been the first thing to break, Then cut out a section on the 1-1/4 pipe for the 1" pipe to fit into tightly.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Then I sand the handle down with my belt sander as it's larger slightly than the pipe, but keeping it a tight fit, checking frequently.
picture.php

then assemble, alighning it straight, and hammering all the way to the top.
picture.php

Now this is as far as I've gotten, I have to weld the two pipes together, drill and hammer in a couple hardened pins to secure the handle to the wood stem.
Also, this looks like a weak point and will get the seam welded and an additional pin added for strength.
picture.php

The overall strength of the blade feel good along with the finished construction. So, for less than $35 I have my Shovel and I had fun doing it.

I also bought an inexpensive mini pick axe for light trenching harder dirt, gravel etc, the only thing I did to it was put a wide angle edge on the blade to make it sharp enough to cut roots if needed, but not too thin a blade to chip and gouge with every rock it hits.
picture.php

Before
picture.php

After
picture.php

It was less than $15 and feels like it will last just fine, time will tell.
needed a new pair of gloves too
picture.php

Hope you enjoyed this, tools used were a couple rat tail files, one angle grinder, one belt grinder, one bench grinder, and one welder(but for $5 you could probably get an auto garage to weld it.)

Be safe, wear safety goggles

Thanks Grumpy, not worth selling, by the time you add profit and shipping, could have bought a Pirahna or Lesche.

Not much welding needed, any garage could handle a 5 minute welding job cheap.

Don't sell yourself short, (or try to make too much off me :laughing:)
I have plenty of friends with welding rigs, but it's just really nice when you can do this type of project yourself

:digginahole::woot::woot:

You might want to check out the shovel as is stock, might like it well enough without any mods, they have 2 different really decent ones, I think both for $24.95, made by Ames

Nice modification however as with all shovels its only as strong as the weakest point and for me prying rocks and such it would break at the wood sooner or later and probably when I'am miles from my truck .I'll take my piranha any day.

Nice modification however as with all shovels its only as strong as the weakest point and for me prying rocks and such it would break at the wood sooner or later and probably when I'am miles from my truck .I'll take my piranha any day.

Thanks
No doubt the Pirahna is far superior, this is what I'll use till it fails me, if it fails me, then I'll be tasked to make a better one, I love the challenges, and the wood will take some time to fail, large in diameter. I may make one from scratch, all steel, but the wood advantage is it's lighter than all metal.

Thats really a great mod! Excellent attention to detail! I like the tight grains of that ash handle!..also, the nice birdsmouth on the Tee handle you fabricated...No way a guy could ever break that!

A guy can see you know your way around digging implements and wood grain, and welding/fab!

I keep a D handle tiling spade in my trunk for specific areas...I need a really fast and light long handle Ice axe type of thing for the Winter snow hill hunting though, or pounding through frozen sand on the beach even, so you gave me some good ideas here!...Damn dude! Really Good Work!
Mud

Your very welcome, I love making my own items, wood, metal etc, I plan on doing a lot of DIY's here, I plan on making an inexpensive electrolysis setup, I know a few have done this already, I will take a lot of pics, being very precise with before during and after using seval types of coin material with timing included.

I also have several how to on making your own MD, MD pinpointers, which I'll post when I get time, wonder if I can somehow keep my DIY's grouped together.

Your very welcome, I love making my own items, wood, metal etc, I plan on doing a lot of DIY's here, I plan on making an inexpensive electrolysis setup, I know a few have done this already, I will take a lot of pics, being very precise with before during and after using seval types of coin material with timing included.

When you get ready for that, hit up some of your local computer geek friends, someone should be able to hook you up with a nice Laptop Power supply

Thanks everyone, got her all welded up and ready to go. And anyone thinking about buying a Harbor Freight cheap stick welder, I did, but here's the secret, DON'T BUY THEIR FRIGGING WELDING RODS! Those are just junk and make people think the welder is at fault or that they just can't weld. I made that mistake at first, crackle pop crappiest weld I ever attempted, I knew something was amiss, so I bought some good welding rods from Tractor Supply, and no more popcorn, smooth flowing, and that's on the 110v setting with the amps cranked up.

Ill take pics in the future with some field testing, but this think feels like a frigging tank, we'll see.

update

Having finished this shovel and used a couple times, this thing is a BEAST, the added pipe handle gives it some top weight lending to an easy stab in the dirt, I can see the blade wearing out long before the rest of this shovel, and when that happens, I'll fabricate a new blade.

Back
Top Bottom