Gold content of eyeglasses

not2quick

I have a couple pairs of eyeglasses that contain gold. I have some questions about them if anyone has the answers!

First one is a pair stamped 1/30 10k rgp-So I know there isn't much gold in this pair, but there is some! Anyone know of a calculator or equation for this type?

Next one is nice! 1/10 12k rg- Plenty of calculators for this and it probably has around $10 of gold. My question is this.....This frame is from the 50's or 60's. It is a "malcom X" type. I removed the plastic that surrounds the lens holder. My question is that it has plastic temples. There is a wire inside them. Do you think it is also the same material as the base? Hinges/screws/metal piece inside nosepad also gold?

Thanks!

I'd think most frame are gold plated, it's a very soft metal, heavy too. Heavy frames would be uncomfortable. The soft metal wouldn't hold it shape, or lenses well, unless thick and heavy.

I understand the gold content that is stamped, I'm just curious if the temples that are encased in plastic are the same material. Also a calculator to see how much actual gold is in them

Back
Top Bottom