New, need help, 6 year old wants one

kathann

Hi, I'm new (to the forum and metal detecting) and a mom with a son who would love to have a metal detector to take camping this spring and summer.  He will be 6 soon.  I don't want to spend too much on a detector but want to make sure he has a good experience with it. Most of the ones "for kids" seem way too cheap and would be frustrating.   Are there any acceptable ones around $100 or less?  He doesn't need the fancy extras but would be thrilled with some finds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  My son and I thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forum kathann... You're not going to get much of a detector for that kind of money... I would suggest spending a little more and buying a Ace 150... If your son doesn't like it maybe you will :)

One thing is how big your son is. BH makes a Jr. for $60. It extends to 2 1/4 feet. It has disc. and sens. settings. It should be good for finding shallow coins. This might work in case he loses interest after a while. Also you won't be out very much cash.

For someone his age the Ace150 would work but he'll have a tougher time pinpointing with it and likely will dig bigger holes. I'd suggest something around a Bounty Hunter Tracker II for around yor 100.00 price. Although not great on depth it will find targets for him and pinpoint better. The quality of the Ace150 is better however.

The Tesoro Compadre would be simple to use if he was going to work the controls himself, and they really work well.

Back
Top Bottom