Flying Eagle cent!!!! Tips?

Sammyt97

Hi Everyone,

I'm so excited. I found this penny today on a walk! Can you believe that? Laying right there on the ground. I thought it was a Wheat penny at first but then thought it was maybe an Indian head. It was pretty corroded so I put a touch of oil on it to see detail and found out it's a flying eagle from 1858 (First photo you can see the date). So, I'm posting as I don't want to do anything else to it at this point as I'm afraid of ruining what I can already see but to ask all the experts if there is anything I can do to this coin to see more detail without damaging it. Is it toast enough that it won't matter if there's a safe way to see more detail? I'm just so excited. What cracks me up is I spend hours digging looking for this stuff and this was just laying on the ground...it clearly looks like it was dug up by something though, it hasn't "just been laying there" all these years. Anyway Thanks.
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_4310.jpg
    IMG_4310.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_4311.jpg
    IMG_4311.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_4313.jpg
    IMG_4313.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 397
That's one awesome eyeball find. If I were you, I'd leave it just as your found it. I wouldn't risk making it look bad.

I'd personally keep it the way it is as it looks toasty. However I'm sure the great minds here might have some ideas for you. Reminds me of my cousin finding 3 SLQs when we went for a walk when we were just teens

stiff-wrists and gimme-a-beer are right : Judging from the photos, nothing you can do will make it any better .

Congratz on the coin ! Not sure about back east, but those are HARD to find in CA . I think I've only got 3 so far. What state did you find yours in ?

Odd it was laying on top of the ground....looks like it was in the soil for a while...don't do anything to it....very fragile. I dug a 1858 Flying Eagle last year...was exciting...pretty rare coin you've got there!!

Thank you everyone. Looks like I'll be leaving it as is. Might not be worth a mint, but it is to me! I live in Massachusetts. First one I've ever found! I think it couldn't have been too far down and maybe something dug it up, no idea....but I knew it was old. Makes me think the next time I go digging it will be a good day.

Thanks again everyone.
Chris

The cupro-nickel composition of the Flying Eagle and early "fatty" indian cents unfortunately do not do well in the ground in MOST instances. There is little to do but preserve what you have. Ant attempt to improve will leave you with an indistinguishable circle of some metal. I wish I had a better answer, but I have destroyed a few fattys trying to improve and have yet to have any real success! You can ID the type and year, you are ahead of the game!

Exactly as others have said, leave it as is.

Only other thing to do is remove any oil (olive oil has acid) and then remove any moisture (get it dry). Finally a thin coat of Renaissance wax.
This is to ensure it does not corrode further.

Great find and it does have a readable date.

Been at this hobby for 15 years the FE cent is still never been in any of the holes I've dug. :no: . BIG congrat's on eyeballing one. Still on my list tho.

Thank you everyone. Looks like I'll be leaving it as is. Might not be worth a mint, but it is to me! I live in Massachusetts. First one I've ever found! I think it couldn't have been too far down and maybe something dug it up, no idea....but I knew it was old. Makes me think the next time I go digging it will be a good day.

Thanks again everyone.
Chris

Where in MA if you don't mind my asking?

Back
Top Bottom