2nd machine

Maverick

Hey y'all. Long time lurker 1st time poster. This site is awesome. What a geat resource.

I hunt wet sand and salt water to about 10'

I'm considering upgrading from my Whites PI Pro DF. Any thoughts on a JW Fishers Pulse 8x Pro?

Hey y'all. Long time lurker 1st time poster. This site is awesome. What a geat resource.

I hunt wet sand and salt water to about 10'

I'm considering upgrading from my Whites PI Pro DF. Any thoughts on a JW Fishers Pulse 8x Pro?

I've heard that the pulse delay is set high for diving, making it not sensitive to small gold. Stick with the DF.

There's a couple of beaches that are impossible for me with my PI Pro due to iron. The ones I typically hunt aren't bad. I dig more coins than iron. Mostly I'm trying to find out if this is a superior machine to my Whites. I E-mailed JW Fisher for a specs sheet and asked them directly what the pulse delay was on the 8x. Their response was that the 8x was routinely used to find jewelry on beaches but that any information on the pulse delay was proprietary. The "specs sheet" is just all the same stuff thats on the website.

8x will detect a US quarter or penny at 9.5" says the website. Small gold ring at 5". How small it doesn't say.

You say this is a deep machine. As in detection depth? Deeper than my Whites PI DF? If so that would be awesome.

I hunt 5 days a week with my whites. It's getting a little ragged after a couple years of beach warfare. One post I read on T.net claimed that the 8x made the Whts Pro feel like it was made out of legos by comparison. If it performed exactly the same as my whites I would buy it for durability purposes alone.

There is a 5" coil available for the 8x which JW says is geared towards small gold and itty bitty nuggets. 30% to 50% greater sensitivity for the gold. But then again a small coil wouldn't go as deep right?

Ive been told the same thing about its Pulse delay thats it suited for DEEP water hunting and not small jewelry. You should have some idea how deep your machine goes on those same targets. Those depths you quotes seem pretty poor to me since i know i can hit a quarter with an Xcal at about that same depth since its a high conductor. If a small ring is within 5 inches deep of the Xcal its coming home with me. Im talking VLF using a 10" coil. Coil size doesnt affect depth on a PI just foot print. You have an older model DF i believe. Maybe Craig can chime in here, but i think its missing an important knob. That they added back on the newer DF. I was going to get one of the new DFs and have Bill Crabtree tune it for me..... unless you can get your hands on one of Eric Fosters machines, id say thats as good as it gets.

Dew

Get yourself a multi-frequency VLF (Excal or Cz21), especially if there are a bunch of beaches you can't hunt with the DF. If the Pulse 8X was a great beach machine, more beach hunters would use them... but nobody does. :D

I've got the newest Whites DF I'm aware of. Knobs for gain, pulse delay, and threshhold And yeah, those distances for the fisher do seem pretty wimpy. I've never measured the depths I get with a tape or anything, but the 8x looks to fall short in that department. I've dug some deep holes for a penny.

Get yourself a multi-frequency VLF (Excal or Cz21), especially if there are a bunch of beaches you can't hunt with the DF. If the Pulse 8X was a great beach machine, more beach hunters would use them... but nobody does. :D

Makes sense to me.

There's an old timer friend of mine who uses a CZ 21. I've considered getting one but there is only 1 beach so far that I wouldn't use a PI machine on. And since I refuse to pay for parking that beach is off limits to me anyway. I thought maybe I could get a bigger badder deeper PI detector than what I already had. Looking like probably not. And I guess that would be a good thing

you say you're a long time lurker, but your profile says you joined yesterday. hmmmmm lol

Long time viewer then. I looked at that ATX, waterproof to 10'. Looks cheesy to me.

Thanks for the feedback guys

The DF is as good as you'll get for a beach PI. I have used a few and the DF is the best.

That JW Fishers is a diving detector, designed to find large items deep. I haven't used one, but that is my understanding of those types of detectors. You will be digging hub-cap sized targets at 2 metres deep. :p The original Sea hunters are the same. The DF's are a true wading detector.

The currant model Sea Hunter Mk 2 is neither here nor there, not quite the diving detector but not quite the wading detector.

Just me. But no way i'd take a CTX 10' deep. I'd try it in a swimming pool first if I was you. I bought a CTX but after looking at a bunch of posts have seen a couple dozen at least that leaked just in the surf. Minelab is gonna love it when water hunters warranty's run out. Cost you $1400 just to get it fixed:shock:

Back
Top Bottom