My initial thoughts on the MX Sport

Oldsjunkie

Forum Supporter
So there have been a lot of opinions going around about the MX Sport, the firmware issues and Whites handling of the release of the machine. After taking all this information into account I decided to take the plunge and check it out. I didn't get a first release unit, so I can't speak for the issues experienced by those who had to deal with Whites and the upgrade process so I won't be commenting on it. I can say that my machine has no "tone smearing" and the SAT goes up to 8, so it has the newest firmware, which I knew going in. I've only put a couple hours on the machine so this is my initial thoughts and feelings based on putting it together, accessories included and first use impressions. The machine feels well built and everything fits tightly together. The screen is nice and the backlight is great. The screen is easy to read in direct sunlight. The headphone adapter is long and cumbersome. The included headphones are a 1/4 inch jack type that requires the adapter to use instead of having a plug that threads directly into the machine like the AT Pro. The headphones are obviously very cheap and since I don't have a massive head, I can't even use them. Set as small as they go, the cups hit at my ear lobes. I've had a lot of phones over the years but I've never seen a set do this. Anyway, I have other phones luckily. I tested for the "tone smearing" issue before heading out. Three targets close together yielded three tones. Good enough. No air tests here, because I feel they're pointless. As a disclaimer, I'm no expert and not a professional. I have a lot of experience with the AT Pro and the M6. This is the first machine I've had with a threshold. I like the threshold. It adds another level of information to the hunt and a big part of our hobby is getting all the info we can. The recovery on the machine is really quick. On the same site I've been pounding hard with the M6, it's obvious I've been experiencing some masking because there are a LOT of signals coming through that I haven't heard before. The signal is a lot more "digital" sounding, which would be expected coming from an analog machine to a microprocessor controlled one. A lot of people have been saying the machine is really sensitive. I was diggin anything with a high tone to it no matter how questionable. There were several times I was digging very small pieces at 6 and 7 inches. Didn't pull anything spectacular in a couple hours, but I did dig several coins that had trash in close proximity that the M6 had missed, even with the 4X6 sharpshooter. The machine is definitely not light. I didn't expect it to be, but it's fairly well balanced. I'd put it on par with the M6 and not as nose heavy as the ATP with the stock coil. I like the amount of options available on the machine and will be doing a lot of testing and experimenting with the settings to get it set up how I like it. Anyway, thanks for reading my long winded post and would so far recommend the MX Sport if you're looking for a nice mid priced waterproof all purpose machine. HH!

Thanks for the review and look forward to updates as you learn the machine.
Sounds like whites has addressed the smearing issue.

Little update at 20 hours

So I've managed to put about 20 hours on the MX Sport. The biggest things I've noticed are that this machine is SENSITIVE! With the sensitivity around 6 it will hit plenty deep on coins and hammers on pulltabs like crazy! It hit on this little watch band piece at around 9.5 to 10 inches. You can definitely tell the close relationship to the M6. The lock on coins is super apparent. I'll continue to post updates, but so far the tones on the machine are nice, the recovery time and target separation is great, and so far I really like the machine. Thanks and HH!!

Attachments

• depth.jpg
    depth.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 257
  • band.jpg
    band.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 179
Back
Top Bottom