Garrett Carrot (Pro Pointer AT) bummer update

Swing360

curbstrip nut
Forum Supporter
I know this has been talked over about a million times, but I want to put my 2 cents in too now that I have it one.

If you are on the fence about this or an older GPP to save a few bucks, don't be and don't. This is one heck of a machine :shock:

Tried as I could, I couldn't make it false tonight. I haven't taken it out in the field and have only been playing with it in the house, but this thing is SENSITIVE on the third setting. WOW.

I am going to run it on sensitivity 1 and see how that does. To me it would appear as if sensitivity 1 is closest to my GPP, so I will see how that does for a bit. There is absolutely no reason to need to "super tune" this PP.

Quality and build seems top notch and I love the fact that it has a ruler running down the side. The orange is great if it gets away from you under water or even on land. Very high visibility.

All in all, I am very pleased and even impressed with the new Garret Carrot. If you are on the fence, just do it! You won't regret it :cool:

I'll buy one if it is like the old one just deeper. I have a TRX but the only think I like is the depth. When I'm hunting those 10" coins I use the TRX first then go to my PP to find the coin. I like the PP's side field. I have found it easy to miss coins with the TRX unless you're pointing directly at the coin.

I really like mine, it's well worth the money! The de-tune feature is really great too. I pinpoint my target with my AT so I don't need to super tune the pinpointer, just de-tune when I have to and zoom right in on the target. :)

Probably not too far off for me as well. I have a waterproof machine so why not a waterproof pin-pointer? I sure could have used one a couple of weeks ago when I found a deep bullet in a few inches of water. Never was able to recover it since I didn't want to stick my Pro-pointer down in the water. Next time I go out there I will recover it by using tape over my speaker hole. Would be really nice not to have to tape up my speaker hole.

^^^ Put it in a ziplock. Tape may not suffice.

Very little time with the new Garrett but........:yes::yes:

I'll buy one if it is like the old one just deeper. I have a TRX but the only think I like is the depth. When I'm hunting those 10" coins I use the TRX first then go to my PP to find the coin. I like the PP's side field. I have found it easy to miss coins with the TRX unless you're pointing directly at the coin.

It's like a propointer trx hybrid. Detune/GB on the fly is what I liked about TRX. Missed the 360 detection field.

I found sens 2 same as original propointer. At sens 3 it was a half inch deeper. On par with the Makro pointer. Still no where near trx depth.

Both great pointers and the two I sell. Just add the Garrett line yesterday and have some carrots coming Mon/Tues if interested just holler.

I'll also have the new Deteknix/Gold Digger Innovations waterproof pointer later this summer as well.

You and I are exactly the same. TRX is good for depth in pre-dig or real deep targets yet a pain in time locating coins due to the lack of side detection, so like you...I pocket the TRX along with the Propointer(Detinex these days) for the pinpoint after the plug is out.

My Pistol Probe would be quicker and as deep or deeper as the TRX, but I can't hear it with my old ears. Lack of side detection on the TRX is my top complaint.

Probably not too far off for me as well. I have a waterproof machine so why not a waterproof pin-pointer? I sure could have used one a couple of weeks ago when I found a deep bullet in a few inches of water. Never was able to recover it since I didn't want to stick my Pro-pointer down in the water. Next time I go out there I will recover it by using tape over my speaker hole. Would be really nice not to have to tape up my speaker hole.

Not that I am encouraging this, but I have submerged my regular GPP on a few occasions with no ill effect to my knowledge. So if you put it in a bag I am sure it will be fine

Got mine a couple mos ago and don't know how I got by without it. The only negative for me is I wish there was a convenient way to leave it powered on instead of switching it on and off for every target.

What I'm really looking forward to is taking it with me when I go snorkeling in springs and rivers this summer. I see a whole new dimension in my MDing made possible by this waterproof pinpointer.

I got one about 6 weeks ago, and have used it several times now, to the point I feel like I can give a good review. I love this thing -- NO falsing, and as others have said, it is DEFINITELY more sensitive/deeper in "level 3" than the black one. Otherwise, they are very similar in terms of how they behave (same detection "field," etc. etc.) The extra sensitivity, ruler on the side, NO falsing -- even if you push it into the dirt, etc. make this one a winner, in my books. I really liked the black one; I LOVE this one.

Steve

Can anyone give me input on how loud the Garrett is compared to the Makro? Also how is the sensitivity on small !!!! targets? Does that detune feature still get you right in there on lets say a small rusty nail? Not that I ever dig those......;) :lol: Just curious cause I, uhm, know this guy that does sometimes...... :yes:

Can anyone give me input on how loud the Garrett is compared to the Makro? Also how is the sensitivity on small !!!! targets? Does that detune feature still get you right in there on lets say a small rusty nail? Not that I ever dig those......;) :lol: Just curious cause I, uhm, know this guy that does sometimes...... :yes:

My last GPP I had I taped the speaker REAL tight with electrical tape as to keep the water and debris out and also to soften the volume.

I haven't taped this one yet, and I gotta say. I forgot how loud this thing is. I was digging last night and felt like the whole world could hear me pinpointing into the houses!

I haven't used the Makro pointer, but I can't imagine it being any louder than the Carrot because we would be bordering on ridiculous.

You're a tool ninja! Can't you just take it apart and put a larger/louder speaker in? :roll:

I've had mine for quite a while.. I normally use sens 2 in town.. sens 3 in the fields.. No not as deep as the TRX but the AT detects all the way down the shaft and out a little about middle ways.. Just remember to turn it on and wait before going directly to the hole or you could detune it to your target.. I've done everything I could to it and it's still holding up great.. it's my go to now.. impressed of the change from the older propointer... 2cts

I gotta say i have both now... definitely like the AT..!!!! Although I fortunately have never had a problem with original Pro-Pointer...(nothing a fresh battery didn't fix..) I generally back my end cap off a few threads after hunting,so the foam pad in the end cap can relax.... I personally think they are great products...IMO great design,and function..

I love a lot of things about the Garrett Carrot but I gotta say a few things bug me.

1. They made half of it's surface rough and the other half smooth. Why? Now dirt is much harder to wash off the rough half.
2. They made the Garrett logo raised instead of printed on. Great, it won't wear off in a month like the old PP, but guess what? Dirt gets all plugged in there and is harder to clean out.

It's like Garrett was all impressed with their waterproofing and wanted to remind you by making the cleaning take longer!

Not sure if anyone else is noticing any problems, but mine will beep solid 50% of the time. Absolutely no indication that I am getting close to the target. Also, when I pull away from the object it's still beeping almost by the time I get it to its sheath about 50% of the time as well... SUPER not stoked.

If I turn if off and back on the problem always fixes itself, but I'm not a huge fan of having to do that half the time. Right now my method is turn on, turn off, turn on, find target, turn off.

I will get some video and get it up on YouTube and then contact Garrett.

Also. This happens on all sensitivity levels. At first I thought I was just too close to metal around me or it was on too sensitive and that it just passed the increasing beeps and went right to solid. Nope. Just a issue that needs to be worked out

Not sure if anyone else is noticing any problems, but mine will beep solid 50% of the time. Absolutely no indication that I am getting close to the target. Also, when I pull away from the object it's still beeping almost by the time I get it to its sheath about 50% of the time as well... SUPER not stoked.

If I turn if off and back on the problem always fixes itself, but I'm not a huge fan of having to do that half the time. Right now my method is turn on, turn off, turn on, find target, turn off.

I will get some video and get it up on YouTube and then contact Garrett.

When's the last time you replaced the battery?? Just curious..

Back
Top Bottom