• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Abandoned Drive In Theatre Joliet, IL

Rusty Nails

Elite Member
There is an abandoned drive in theatre in Joliet, IL that opened in the 1950's
and closed in 2001. It is called the Hill Top.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding how I would go about finding the owner of this property to ask permission to metal detect it?

Doesn't it look like a great place to hunt???

Attachments

• hilltop.JPG
    hilltop.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 5,151
There is an abandoned drive in theatre in Joliet, IL that opened in the 1950's
and closed in 2001. It is called the Hill Top.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding how I would go about finding the owner of this property to ask permission to metal detect it?

Doesn't it look like a great place to hunt???

I can't help with finding the owner. But I will say - Good Luck. I've hunted several old drive-ins and my success was usually pounds of trash. If it is all grown over then your work will be even more so. About the only place at drive-ins that I have had luck was where there was a playground if one existed up in front of the screen.

HH

will county GIS

Try this on

Instrument: R2011026681 Old Doc Ref No: Book/Page:
Recorded: 3/11/2011 9:30:34 AM Consideration: $ Pages: 4
Document Type: Warranty Deed Comments:
Document Date: 3/9/2011
Grantor: ORNELAS SAUL
CONTRERAS ADRIAN
CONTRERAS ARTURO

Grantee: ORNELAS SAUL
ORNELAS SYLVIA
CONTRERAS ADRIAN
CONTRERAS MARIA
CONTRERAS ARTURO
CONTRERAS ROSA

Legal Description: PrpId: 30-07-01-307-004-0000 (GIS) (Assessor)
PrpId: 30-07-01-307-005-0004 (GIS) (Assessor)
Sec: 1, Twn: 35, Rng: 10, Q: SW
AddrNo: 1800, Str1: MAPLE ROAD, City: JOLIET, State: IL, Zip: N/A
Cross Reference:
Sent To: ARTURO CONTRERAS
1400 ADA ST
JOLIET, IL 60432
Mar 17 2011 8:50AM

My uncle is part owner. They use this for a soccer club. I plan on asking my auntie if I can detect there.

Try this on

Instrument: R2011026681 Old Doc Ref No: Book/Page:
Recorded: 3/11/2011 9:30:34 AM Consideration: $ Pages: 4
Document Type: Warranty Deed Comments:
Document Date: 3/9/2011
Grantor: ORNELAS SAUL
CONTRERAS ADRIAN
CONTRERAS ARTURO

Grantee: ORNELAS SAUL
ORNELAS SYLVIA
CONTRERAS ADRIAN
CONTRERAS MARIA
CONTRERAS ARTURO
CONTRERAS ROSA

Legal Description: PrpId: 30-07-01-307-004-0000 (GIS) (Assessor)
PrpId: 30-07-01-307-005-0004 (GIS) (Assessor)
Sec: 1, Twn: 35, Rng: 10, Q: SW
AddrNo: 1800, Str1: MAPLE ROAD, City: JOLIET, State: IL, Zip: N/A
Cross Reference:
I dont think it's right for you to post my families information on line for everyone to see. You should had sent him a PM. How would you like it if I would had posted your family's information.

Fyi

Well FYI your tax dollars and elected officials made all that info public. So if you would like for it to be private then take that up with them. As for the PM I would still be passing the same info about your family. Dont be ill with me for lending a helping hand. As for my info it already is on the WWW for all to see, just like yours. Have a nice night

I located a very early 1900s drive in here. Took me months to track the people down. Went to the court house to a few different offices looking at the plats and tax records. In the end I FINALLY ended up with the name of the current owner of the property which is now just an abandoned field with some rubble where the screen used to be. Took some more time to track down a phone number and address. All that just to get the response "no, we'd appreciate it if you didn't, sorry" :roll:

its all public record and no one knew it was your family until you mentioned it

Azmodeus, alot of places will tell you it is a liabilty thing. Just talked to someone this past weekend about a section of land that once had a foot bridge used by confederate soldiers. Owner said so many law suits these days, would rather we didnt. It happens. Bummer though

Azmodeus, alot of places will tell you it is a liabilty thing. Just talked to someone this past weekend about a section of land that once had a foot bridge used by confederate soldiers. Owner said so many law suits these days, would rather we didnt. It happens. Bummer though

Well I would certainly understand that if there was anything there to be liable for but it is literally nothing but wide open empty field. I don't think it was likely that I was going to trip over air, smash my face on the grass, and give my self a concussion. :lol:

Well I talk to them already. And I got permission. I did not tell them that someone else is coming, Because I know how there. But I will take rusty nails with me if he wants to come and join me.

Good luck to both of you. Be prepared for the many pull tabs:(. And the many coins:)

Yeh I know they do a lot of drinking every weekend there. I just got to be carefully with plugging my hole right. Because they play soccer there.And thats all I need for someone to break a leg.

I have detected an old drive in before fomr the same vintage as this one. I'll tell you, better take a very tough digger to get through the packed pea gravel and a five gallon bucket for all the pull tabs and crown tops. No doubt there is some silver in there and I hope you have lots of fun finding it. Just a warning, flattened old crown tops in gravel ring up like pennies on many machines. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom