quality over quantity

IowaChris

This year's silver finds have been limited for me in quantity. Up until yesterday, I had managed a large silver Avon ring, and a dime grand slam.

Yesterday, we met some of my college roommates for lunch before a 2 hour drive to my sisters for my 2 nieces' b-day party. We were gonna be an hour early so I scouted out a park in a little town along the way. I started out finding a bunch of can slaw and tabs, along with a couple pennies and a dime. Then I added a 1901 barber dime to my totals. Success! Made the stop worth it. Dug a few more pieces of slaw, then got a questionable signal. Maybe silver dime. Even briefly hit up to 46 on the etrac, but it wasnt repeatable or strong at all. The depth meter was shooting right to the bottom, so I'm thinking it's probably a big piece of tin or something. I was only about 10 ft from the barber so I decided to go ahead and dig it. I dug a large diameter plug (I've chased too many to the side of the hole) about 5 inches deep. No signal in the plug and my PP isn't picking up anything in the hole. I decide to try super tuning the PP by sliding my lesche down the side of it. I get a beep right in the center of the hole, so I cut another plug, probably about 4 more inches deep and roll it out. It crumbles apart and I see the reeds of a silver, and about lose my mind when I realize it's half dollar sized. I yelled at my wife to come watch me reveal my first half. A barber! Not only that, a pretty rare one! So I'll definitely take a low volume year, when they are this high quality.

Attachments

• 2016-11-06 09.34.39.jpg
    2016-11-06 09.34.39.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 648
  • 2016-11-06 09.34.18.jpg
    2016-11-06 09.34.18.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 635
  • 2016-11-06 09.35.20.jpg
    2016-11-06 09.35.20.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 633
  • 2016-11-06 09.35.03.jpg
    2016-11-06 09.35.03.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 616
Here's the ring and dime grand slam.

Attachments

• 2016-11-06 09.58.09.jpg
    2016-11-06 09.58.09.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 655
Holy Bleep! Thats amazing! A grand slam on dimes and that big Barber Half! You sure nailed this year all in one good bucketlister kind of a hunt! Congratulations all around there!
Mud

Thanks guys. To be clear, the grand slam and the ring were not a single hunt. They were the sum total of all the silver I found this year, and no 2 of them were from the same hunt. The 1901 dime and the half were from yesterday's hunt.

Ooohhh.... man I still have a month or so left to get me a silver half.... eh. There's always next year!! Good job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Cool

Way to go taking along your ETrac and finding a park with some awesome silver coins. I never go anywhere without my ETrac. I'de love to dig a half dollar like the one you found. Hope the B day party was fun.
HH everyone

Really good work making the most of time and site selection Chris. I'll take quality first as well,if only a few quality finds....and you have those for sure! I would be highly satisfied with those finds if my time was as limited as yours.
EXCELLENT preparation and execution!! THAT is how to increase your quality finds,in many cases...newbies take note!

Back
Top Bottom