V Nickel in the Oddest Place

BufordCityDawg

Elite Member
I have NO idea how this coin got here, but here is the story. Yesterday I went to get an eye exam. This particular Dr likes to dilate you eyes so I always go home unable to see squat. My Dr also happens to be by a park. This is a new park. Most of them around here are. I had a few minutes to kill before the kids would be home so I thought I'd swing my detector.

I was in the mulch area around some trees which also had a few tables around it. I was picking up signals here and there. Quarter, a key chain, various other bits and bobs. I ran out of time and headed home. Today I decided to clean out the old bag and put away the coins. As I'm looking at the coins I noticed that one didn't look normal. I gave it a good look and saw it was a V nickel. You could have blown me over with a feather. I had no idea when I got it because I could barely see. I have to assume someone was at one of the table showing off their coin collection or maybe, just maybe someone had it in their pocket and dropped it naturally. either way, it's mine and at 1907 is now my oldest found coin to date. If you're wondering, yes I'll be back hunting that section again. Yes I will pay closer attention to my finds.

BCD

p.s. Sorry for the attachment pictures but photobucket is down.

Attachments

• 20161104_163352.jpg
    20161104_163352.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 576
  • 20161104_163342.jpg
    20161104_163342.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
looks like it hadn't been under for too long. Kids love to carry around collectables. Sweet find no matter how it got there. you found it thats all that matters

The V nickels that I have found, have a very reddish patina to them, from being under the dirt.
Yours looks like a fresh drop ? Nice save. :grin:

When I was in 5th grade a friend came to school showing me a buffalo nickel he claimed to have found on the ground at his bus stop. I said "Impossible" at the time but now I know better.:D Great find!

Tot lot

My son is not much into swinging (that sounds funny), he's 10. but he loves to look at the coins when I get back to see how old they are.
He came back from a friends house the other day with big eyes. He told me that his friend showed him his coin collection. My son knows some of these coins are rare. The kid said that he makes his collection by taking the ones he wants from his dads collection. The kid asked my son if he wanted some of the ones " with the wierd indian head on it?" My son said "no, are you crazy? These are rare!" The kid said "oh ok". So, my point is that a kid may have just casually dropped that at the new park.

Congrats on the V. I guess they left a few old trees from whatever was there before. The new park they did close to me got stripped clean and then they added new trees. It is sad they do that here.

Cool! Strange would be the tales old coins could tell..if they could talk, but they cant, so....Nice Save there Buford!
Mud.

Congratz on the buff! I hate when the eye dr dilates your eyes and somehow expects you to drive. Weirdest feeling in the world to drive from there, makes you paranoid you're going to crash.

Back
Top Bottom