Help with permissions

GOLDENGIRL2013

Ok..here's the deal guys..i need some help.

I haven't even started detecting yet and am already discouraged. I contacted a county museum director and was told that i couldn't detect anywhere in the county that was part of a federal or state entity. This person made it sound like I would go to prison if I got caught. I just wanted to know where and how to get permission to detect.

I do not understand how everyone else is going to schools, parks, rivers, etc. Am I missing something?
Helllllp!:(

I'm not sure about the particular restrictions where you live, but it sounds like this person was generalizing quite a bit. Stay away from national parks, reserves and places like that and try contacting the people that are directly in charge of those places such as schools and parks. You might be better off just going the private route though and getting in touch with land owners.

the museum director was the worst person to ask, if you want to metal detect in a city park email the parks department. or city hall can point you in the right direction

I haven't even started detecting yet and am already discouraged. I contacted a county museum director and was told that i couldn't detect anywhere in the county that was part of a federal or state entity. This person made it sound like I would go to prison if I got caught. I just wanted to know where and how to get permission to detect.

I do not understand how everyone else is going to schools, parks, rivers, etc. Am I missing something?
Yea im with you I've been doing this since I was 9 give or take a year and I still don't go knocking on doors just afraid of the big fat no but I'm going to this year I know a spot that use to be in old school but it's a house now so I'm going to ask anyway. Good luck to ya.

I don't know about the laws in Texas, I'm sure some Texans will be helping you shortly. I think the museum person was probably referring to federal and state historical sites. Historical sites are generally off-limits wherever you go in the U.S. The only exception I know about are those sites owned and maintained by private organizations. I have been able to get permission to hunt a great site that is owned by the Masonic organization for instance. Most schools and public parks are usable but stay away from the schools while they are in session. I mostly hunt schools when they are closed for the summer. One problem with hunting parks and schools is that many have been hunted for thirty years and most of the older stuff has already been found. Nowadays getting permission for private property is of paramount importance, for these places haven't been hunted out. Don't despair, the whole hobby is based on patience and perseverance. Even when you find a place to hunt most of the targets will be junk, you'll need to be patient to find the better coins and artifacts. I see videos of people in TX finding great stuff in the woods and you'll need to do research in your area to find long forgotten ball fields, parks, etc. Your local historical society should have old map reprints for short money and these maps can lead you to places that aren't used anymore and can be good hunting spots. Good luck and HH!!

Sent you a PM.
There are different designations in Texas. You cannot detectt/dig anywhere that is a historic landmark or archeological site, State or Federal. Historic sites on private property you can dig with permission. Those plaques you see along the roads. People with a old building, that say Stephen F. Austin, slept in. Well, the owner can apply for a historic designation and get a plaque. But you can metal detect there with permission.

State and Federal Parks are off limits, and it says so in their rules. County and city parks you can detect and dig, unless they are specifically made off limits. I haven't been to a city park that did not allow detecting. The only county park in Brazoria County that is off limits is Camp Mohawk County Park.

There is a lot of history here. But most of it has been destroyed by progress, time or mother nature. The rest is very hard to locate.

Before you dig, you need to learn the rules. 1. Make sure it's ok, and get permission when needed. 2. Dig the smallest, cleanest hole possible. 3. Fill the hole and make it look as best you can like you were never there. 4. Anything you dig you take with you, trash included.

Last edited:
Federal and state.......State parks...national historical sites....That applies to almost every state. Don't go to the San Jacinto battle ground and start detecting. Don't take your detector to any national park.

For permission you need to start with the entity closest to the sight you want to detect. City parks = city hall/parks department county parks = county parks dept. Their websites may have the infor you need.

Most local parks and schools are NOT federal or state owned, they are owned by the township...and generally open to metal detecting. Do a google search for TX county parks and you can find out which are off limits (historic,state or federally owned, ect..)

the museum director was the worst person to ask, if you want to metal detect in a city park email the parks department. or city hall can point you in the right direction

This is the best way to get a straight answer on city or town property. :cool:

I wouldn't put too much stock in what a museum director has to say about this subject. Maybe they hunt too and want to keep you off their turf! :shock:

You can hunt most city parks and county parks

I am a Texan too. Texas is full of place you can hunt. We do more to preserve history then most of the pros that would prefer that soon for the things to ROTT in the ground then be dug one of us. Talk to your friends and family start there.

I hunt demo houses, there is empty lots in ever city and town.

Federal lands are always off limits.

State parks are often off limits.

Local parks and city / public lands / schools are "normally" ok.

Find someone local that has some experience...........gl

GL & HH

Back
Top Bottom