• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First hunt, a lot of trash

rod63

Today I went to a park, I found many items of iron and aluminum foil packaging. I have an ACE350. So I use it in jewelry and whistled like crazy, this confuses me and not to do, I would like some advice from someone with more knowledge. Also, my shovel broke.

Parks are sometimes difficult places to start MDing because of all the trash. You might want to start out with some discrimination in your machine until you get more acquainted with what it's trying to tell you then you can run it wide open and pick out the good signals from the bad. You might also turn the sensitivity down at first. I have been hunting for years and still have problems with really trashy areas unless I use a small coil and make myself slow down. The other option would be to just find a site that would not have so much trash and start there instead. Don't be discouraged, we all go through the learning process and some of us over and over again.:pullhair::pullhair:

I got mine for christmas, and broke 2 hand shovels the 1st day i went out.. and they were metal i just suck at life and somehow bent them.. also broke a plastic one.

then my uncle gave me a stainless steel little shovel that has worked perfectly (he used to use it when he detected in the 80s)

lesche digger. its a sod/grass cutting tool. that most metal detectorist use.

I got one, and love it. I also broke the first 4 shovels I used. then I got the lesche, and its been all good since

Thanks

Parks are sometimes difficult places to start MDing because of all the trash. You might want to start out with some discrimination in your machine until you get more acquainted with what it's trying to tell you then you can run it wide open and pick out the good signals from the bad. You might also turn the sensitivity down at first. I have been hunting for years and still have problems with really trashy areas unless I use a small coil and make myself slow down. The other option would be to just find a site that would not have so much trash and start there instead. Don't be discouraged, we all go through the learning process and some of us over and over again.:pullhair::pullhair:

I thought it would be easier. Thanks for the motivation.

When digging in jewelry your gonna dig lots of pull tabs and foil before you actually get jewelry. It takes awhile for most. I did dig one pull tab on purpose with the gti2500 because it sized as round and guess what it was a 10k ring but I got really lucky forum member do pound witnessed me pull it. I had a Ace350 and give it high remarks for being the best machine so far that I had to pick coins outta iron. Me and my brother also did very well on civil relics with it as well. When in parks that machine will eat up the coins. One the I will say it when you get a quarter-dollar coin signal raise the coil off the ground a foot and see if you still pic it up. If you do it is most likely a soda can.
For now you should dig all tones just to know for your self what is what. If you need any help feel free to pm me. I am pretty good with that machine. The ace350 is still in the family as my brother now has it so I could buy other machines to test out.

I got mine for christmas, and broke 2 hand shovels the 1st day i went out.. and they were metal i just suck at life and somehow bent them.. also broke a plastic one.

then my uncle gave me a stainless steel little shovel that has worked perfectly (he used to use it when he detected in the 80s)

Get a http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yard-and-Garden/Digging-Tools/Big-Grip-Multi-purpose-Planting-Tool

Great starter digger, picked one up at Walmart for less than ten dollars. Used it all summer with no breakage.

When digging in jewelry your gonna dig lots of pull tabs and foil before you actually get jewelry. It takes awhile for most. I did dig one pull tab on purpose with the gti2500 because it sized as round and guess what it was a 10k ring but I got really lucky forum member do pound witnessed me pull it. I had a Ace350 and give it high remarks for being the best machine so far that I had to pick coins outta iron. Me and my brother also did very well on civil relics with it as well. When in parks that machine will eat up the coins. One the I will say it when you get a quarter-dollar coin signal raise the coil off the ground a foot and see if you still pic it up. If you do it is most likely a soda can.
For now you should dig all tones just to know for your self what is what. If you need any help feel free to pm me. I am pretty good with that machine. The ace350 is still in the family as my brother now has it so I could buy other machines to test out.

Thanks, I practice and when in doubt I will consult you any questions.

Thanks, I practice and when in doubt I will consult you any questions.

I didn't find coins or rings till my 3rd hunt, my old Middle School, then I found coins and rings. :laughing:

Keep at it. That larger Ace 350 coil is a little hard to use in high-trash areas. Make shorter concentrated swings.

Diggers

I also use that same Fiskars shown on Link, It carries a lifetime quarantee Like the lesche. But the lesche has to be shipped back to be replaced, While Home Depot or Walmart can replace the Fiskars the day you might break it. But I doubt you will Break it!!! Lets compare: Both look about the same. I notice the Fiskars handle looks bigger and more comfortable. Both do the same Job! I will state that the Lesche is made better and is thicker material. Since both have the LT guarantee does that even Matter? Finally the Fiskars cost about $10 and the Lesche cost $35! It's a No Brainer to me! :digginahole:

I also use that same Fiskars shown on Link, It carries a lifetime quarantee Like the lesche. But the lesche has to be shipped back to be replaced, While Home Depot or Walmart can replace the Fiskars the day you might break it. But I doubt you will Break it!!! Lets compare: Both look about the same. I notice the Fiskars handle looks bigger and more comfortable. Both do the same Job! I will state that the Lesche is made better and is thicker material. Since both have the LT guarantee does that even Matter? Finally the Fiskars cost about $10 and the Lesche cost $35! It's a No Brainer to me! :digginahole:

Let's see...break handle in the middle of a hunt twelve miles from nearest WallyWorld, Home Depot, etc. How much is the lost hunting time worth? You know you'll spend at least an hour getting it replaced. That's an hour lost hunting and maybe a seated or a walker. Never know.

What about the hassle from the first clerk, because you sharpened the edge several times, thus voiding the lifetime warranty. The manager will probably make it right, but it's the frustration factor. And, remember, the clerk is only doing his/her job. Don't get mad at them.

Do that two or three times, and I'm sure you'll find a Lesche or a good Hori-Hori well worth the $30 to $40 investment.

HH

Jewelry is the hardest thing to find when land hunting with a detector. For every gold ring you see someone post a picture from thier finds, there are pounds (yes POUNDS) of trash in the form of foil, tabs, canslaw, and every type of metallix trash you can imagine.

If you are willing to dig the trash, you will find the treasure but it won't come easy.

A little confused. I thought the MD was more accurate. It seems that distinguish only between magnetic or not.

Back
Top Bottom