Need summer headphones solution

dca2

I have been using Ultimate Grey Ghost for the last 2 years. I do like them.

Problem is summer in NE Louisiana gets 90-100+. I'm not above earbuds, but I'm in the habit of setting my detector down to the side when I dig and I don't need buds falling out every time. I'm thinking extension cable with earbuds.

Suggestions and experiences, please.

Dave

On a aside - I lived in Cen-la ( central louisiana) for a bit ( about 2 1/2 yrs.)

I never experienced such heat and humidity (and fire ants) before.

I never knew ears could sweat until I used headphones for detecting in the south hahhaha... About the only thing you can really do is try ear buds.

I know people say headphones matter yada yada, but for 95% of the targets you go over, ear buds will let you hear them, and if you try the Apple Air Pods, they have the absolute BEST sound to them of any ear buds I have ever worn.

I have found that cheap headphones with foam ear pieces are also good for those 98% humidity days as they let your ears breathe unlike say garretts over the ear headphones... Ear buds or those with light foam is bout all ya can do in instances like this...or no headphones at all....

Check this site

For Bluetooth headphones and transmitter, really inexpensive and easy to do

Attachments

• Feb 2017_IMG_5188.jpg
    Feb 2017_IMG_5188.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 488
  • Feb 2017_IMG_5189.jpg
    Feb 2017_IMG_5189.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 488
For Bluetooth headphones and transmitter, really inexpensive and easy to do

I just pulled the trigger on this setup--$40 for transmitter, over the ears and 90• 1/4 to 1/8 adapter (Amazon) Looks like the battery life is longer than my endurance:signals:

Thanks'
Dave

I like the Garrett Clear Sound Easy Stow with inline volume control. If they get to hot or want to get them off your rars max the volume and hang them around your neck.

http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones.html
extension with volume control and clip
Plug 4' extension in MD and clip on front pocket.
In-ear wire goes inside shirt and plugs in to extension.
If you pull to hard they extension pops off you pocket or out of the MD, buds stay in your head.
You can also use these with your portable devices .. great on air plans, all you hear is your music nothing else.. not even the kid behind you .. still feel him kicking and pushing his head into the back of your seat.. Grrrrrrrrrrr

I saw a goofy headband advertised on TV the other day...The concept is you plug in a sending unit into your TV, then put on the headband...It looked like a sweat band a tennis player would wear...anyhow, it allowed a guy to listen to the TV so as to not disturb anybody else in the room... I dont know if it would work for us....but yeah...that Summer heat is a real bummer on the ears...

Z-Link

I have Gray Ghost Ultimates too. Summer time... ear buds and the Z-Link wireless system for me.

Head phones do help to keep those tiny drive ya crazy no see ums out of your ears . :lol: ,,,,,HH

http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones.html
extension with volume control and clip
Plug 4' extension in MD and clip on front pocket.
In-ear wire goes inside shirt and plugs in to extension.
If you pull to hard they extension pops off you pocket or out of the MD, buds stay in your head.
You can also use these with your portable devices .. great on air plans, all you hear is your music nothing else.. not even the kid behind you .. still feel him kicking and pushing his head into the back of your seat.. Grrrrrrrrrrr

Wow! Some of those cost more than my detector!

Head phones do help to keep those tiny drive ya crazy no see ums out of your ears . :lol: ,,,,,HH

A little dab of 3m Ultraton by the ears and everything stays away. That stuff is the best repellent I have ever used--6 days of canoeing in the Atchafalaya Basin and almost zero bites--buy it!

Bluetooth typically has a delay in signal from target to ears. Radio Frequency (2.4G) is preferred. i.e. Deteknix and Garrett's wireless solutions.

Bluetooth operates on rf (2.4GHz). The lag isn't because of the frequency, it's because it wasn't originally intended to transmit sound. You get lag because it has to compress an audio signal, and the headphones have to decompress it. Some codecs used in bluetooth are better than others for metal detecting, but both transmitter and receiver have to be able to utilize them. I think the most useful is apt-x.

Ear bud recommendation

I am in Pennsylvania and I am already having issues with heat and sweat with my headphones. I love the sound of my Grey Ghost Ultimates but the summer will be too hot. I have tried my Iphone 4s ear buds and a $20 pair of Scull Candy ear buds with my AT Pro and the Z Lynk and the buds with a 1/4" adaptor. The sound was not loud enough even with the Z Lynk volume and ear bud volume at full, the Scull Candy has no volume adjustment. Is there a known brand that is good for this application, possibly with a low impedance to allow maximum volume?

Back
Top Bottom