To detect or not to detect.....

BringItAce

Hi guys,

I have been a member here for quite a while now. Feel me fortunate to be a member of such a great place. I have even had the pleasure to post some of my finds and reep the rewards of great comments and advice. I am a big believer in doing this hobby properly. Not breaking any laws, cleaning up any garbage i have found in my travels, and filling my holes properly. About a year ago i asked if anyone had any information on detecting in switzerland. The only information we found was that it is not against the law to own a metal detector, but laws are in place for archeological/historic sites. Don't quote me on it though....my swiss german is rather poor. Recently i have come across a respected archeology website which states that metal detecting is in the whole country forbidden is. Great news! Right? It has a picture resembling a no smoking sign reading "Mach dich nicht strafbar!" Roughly translated to "don't make yourself punishable." I also realise the simplicity of going to town hall or the police station and just asking, but for me it was out of the question due to simple embarrassment (language) and the fear for denial. I really love going metal detecting and i am happy when i do it. What do you guys think? Should i hang up the AT pro out of simple ethics or keep going in an genuine orderly fashion? Torn. Happy hunting!

If the passion is there that you have about detecting
I'd go the latter .
All they can say is no but they may surprise you by saying go for it.

I got to agree with silversmith. Get permission in writing or don't do it at all. Sure they may just say no but between being in a foreign country, with a language barrier and potentiality uptight locals I wouldn't risk getting my detector confiscated and/or fines and/or jail time.

Back
Top Bottom