NavyDT's diggin journal 2017

With all the wheats and no silver yet, I bet someone's been thru the school with a Minelab picking them off:lol: They didn't get them all though, your mission is to find the silver that's left. I would suggest you keep chasing the known coin signals, those at the depth you're finding the wheats,..and skip investigating every chirp for now, save that for a time down the road. Try the less obvious spots around the schoolyard, hunt the edges...Good luck!

04 APR 2017 - Went back to the old school but was looking around in areas i really hadn't hit before. Its really exhausting there. so many signals to process it gets a little mind numbing after a few hours. Spent about 2 hours total and came up with the majority of the finds including the old watch which was really cool.

05 APR 2017 - only had a little time today so i went to the closest place around me that is any good, which is the park near the lake. i decided that i was going to shoot just coins so i set my machine up 12khz and had high tones starting to ring at 82+ i had dug a few coins and a bi-centennial quarter when i got a KILLER 88 that appeared to be about 6 inches down. dug down and popped over the plug, damn silver 1947 dime staring back at me.

Seeing that silver peaking out almost brought a tear to my eye. i had worked super hard for that with tones of really challenging detecting before that popped out. gosh i was happy.

went around and dug some more targets at 1650 hit so it was time to head back to the car. on the way back i was just casually swinging to coil near the edge of the road leading to the car. got another super sweet sounding 87-88. i was thinking penny because on occasion i had pulled other modern clad near by. well wouldnt you know it a 1942 Merc! 2nd silver in one day making 3 for the year! hopefully 2017 keeps this pace up.

Thanks again for reading and ill catch you all again soon.
NavyDT

901669f71ca67bd55a4ccb08b55cd2ab.jpg
9807bdb7b5b60d0a9bf8d5238c9e7448.jpg
18d344dab7c53252e59df6aa958f871c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Kids got off school and the weather has been killer here. did a combo scout mission park invasion with the kids. most of the coins were from the 1970's lots of surface trash but the 4 tone program is awesome. unless its on the very edge of detection, which happens really rarely, the VDI is pretty damn accurate.

the park had a plaque that said it was dedicated in 1992 but on the bottom it said Baptist Hill Community, 1880. i wonder if there is some older places near by?

enjoy the pics and thanks for reading.
NavyDT

bd8bb43998d25f29683190232b7dc800.jpg
86ef62176784df4123e817f858527559.jpg

WOW what a freakin day!

Got out early did PT and the platoon leader said it the road boys enjoy the weekend. Dont have to tell this turd twice so i made like like a tree and got outta there.

Decided to hit a tot lot i had never been too before. Not much in the tot lots actually but hit up the near by ball park bleachers. Tons of pennies, i was really knocken em dead.

After a while i said screw it, i just want the Copper pennies, dimes and quarters so i set my high notes to 82+ and was just killing them. I came home with 3 quarters 10 dimes and 40 pennies. Everything was in the mid 1970's so im not sure how viable coin silver will be, but there is always a chance for some ring action?

While i was there i got this MASSIVE signal, hitting 92-93 on 12khz. i have always wanted a dollar coin so i started digging. 8 inches down i see the edge of a HUGE coin. My heart started pounding i was so excited when i pulled it out. scraped dirt off the front of the coin... infant mystics? !!!? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! so damn close. i almost had my first half and or dollar coin but nope. was not to be

came home, ate lunch and waited for the kids to get home. Went back to my old haunt at the lake. First freakin signal not 20 feet from the last silver i picked and boom, solid 88 that sounded like a damn dream. my wife never goes with me and was standing right there. flip the plug, sweet sweet heavenly silver shining out of the brown darkness. Was sooo excited i forgot to take a picture.

Rest of that hunt was kinda eh. 1 quarter, a dime and 10 pennies.

Here is the program that i am using to just murder clad/silver around these parts

Program name : Cladkiller
Disc 6.0
Expert -> 4 tones
Expert-> set the tones as follows
150 from -6.4 to +6.0 (sub nickle range)
541 from +6.0 to 77 ( foil/gold/nickle/pulltab/zinc's/super fine silver)
993 from 77 to 95 ( all good coins/silver )
150 from 95 to 99 ( iron false sounds/ giant can slaw)
Sens 93
Expert ->TX PWR 2
FREQ 12khz
Iron Vol 0
Reactivity 2.5 ( set depending on local ground contamination)
Expert ->Silencer -1
Audio Response 5 ( good feel for target distance )
Expert ->Overload 1
Notch 00-00

ive been using the horseshoe screen because it gives you a pretty damn accurate representation of how deep the object is. with the audio like it is, if you have a surface piece of trash you can hear because the audio gets all loud and bleedy. hard to explain but give it a try. if you get a clean audio hit in atleast one direction i almost guarantee its a coin.

Hope you enjoy!
NavyDT

681bfa2a274294baed0e9ba9e31fea99.jpg
96a89b17ea726302a2fe10e32be46d9c.jpg
fa43beebdaea5dfeab1a6ad1d21509cb.jpg

Last edited:
Tot lot run day with the kids and wife in tow. First place was an area of a tot lot i hadnt been too, lots of coins. I hit a AWESOME loud quarter signals. i pulled over 7 chuck "e" cheese tokens in one pocket spill.... probably the best spill of my life. lol

There was a kids day yesterday so i went back and went over the area. so much freaking big deep aluminum that i got tired of digging !!!! that was well.. !!!!? anyways came away with $2.75 in clad and a 2011 Harley Owners Group (HOG) pin that was pretty sweet.

Stay tuned for the next installment.

NavyDT

d283bfc52a2186c7ed9b6d8bd6de8ae0.jpg

Last edited:
You got a nice assortment of everything....a lot of digging there!
Yea, 60+ targets not including the trash, takes time to dig all that. Hopefully I'll get more this week!

Today was a pretty sweet day. got off early, and decided to take my growing pile of coins down and turn them in at the bank... in the 3 weeks ive owned the detector ive dug 499+ clad coins. After the turn in i had a bunch of zincolins that wouldnt go in ( you know the corroded ones) i can honestly say ive learned a ton.

I just wanted to give a shout out to @TNsharpshooter and @JPW1964 for getting me up and running. Thank you boys for your awesome experience and the time you take to help people get accustomed to the XP Deus.

10APR17 - Decided to try a place i had never ever hunted in any of my years of detecting, a baseball field. figured it would start off around the dug outs and move out from there. as you would expect tons of trash around but i was able to get some good coins out. my 2nd ever record for quarters at 8 quarters today. i hit this awesome signal against a cinder block wall, pulled 3 quarters from the same spot. that was really fun :D i had my youngest son with me, and the lack of a nap and the afternoon heat had us heading for the Burger King near by for a cold dairy refreshment. All in all it was an awesome day, cant wait for more like this in the months to come!

As always, thanks to those who serve and those that support them,
NavyDT

cee698df91c79f6e0cb813bed22f61c4.jpg
a0f41c3b2f64d9e834d2010363fe34ba.jpg

Last edited:
so, DEEEP recon was done today. i mean, i studies topographical maps and compared them to the current day google earth and i found an interesting anictotal thing. There are roads that were around with buildings on them in the 1940's and 1950's that ceased to exist in 1961. well, that smells like silver to me!

I went to the first spot of 3. HEAVILY over grown with briars and thorns. and it looks like there was an earth works project.

2nd spot, controlled burning. the entire area was literally on FIRE!

3rd spot? after a deep trek into the woods i found it. power pole, and a water spigot sticking up in the middle of the woods, nothing connecting and nothing going out.

I start searching... Huge can, giant iron... nothing. no coins, nothing good. all i found was the tarp eyelet and the aluminium button that has an L on the top.

Not wanting the entire day to be wasted, i headed to an old spot. dug a few wheats and the first legit nickel of the season.

Ill be back to the abandoned spots with a better report soon.

Very Respectfully,
NavyDT

3b45b26dd9bdde475e69efa13af3eda8.jpg

That baseball field.
Did you dig some lower reading targets??
Good place for some jewelry even gold to ring up.

You are putting Deus through the paces,,,and getting some incredible experience to boot.

Ok, so i was super excited today, because the place that was burning yesterday, would be done and good to hunt today. I get off early enough, have about 3 hours to hunt.

Get to the site, everything is cooled off and ready to go. get out swinging, iron... and iron... and moooore iron. cans/ lids, giant nails, everything. So much so that it was pretty much masking everything else.

Then it hits, awesome clean 92 signal, multiple directions. now since this place ceased to exist after 1961 im thinking SWEET jesus this might be my silver quarter. i dig a plug, and start hand scooping so i dont damage it. i see the edge, its a quarter all right... pull it out? YEAR?!?! 1970!?! !!! WHYYYY. how does that happen that a quarter is 10 years older than the map?

I did how ever find 3 items, the quarter, a button and a Alabama State Tax Commission 1C coin, which i think dates from the 1937-38's

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces48581.html

after that i decided to hit a promising tot lot, where i only got to hunt about 3 swings because my son decided he had to take a !!!! that day. the one thing i did find there was a 1951 wheat. Hit the tot lot, lots of 1970's clad but no oldies.

Im just about ready to hit the car and start swinging under the edge of the slide. Super awesome signal, sound sweet. Pulled my first ever dollar coin! was really stoked about that.

All and all a great day hunting.
Until next time,
NavyDT

eaa711013b45db6a58541133cdfccf2f.jpg
88b177003b7b72f5ce82af930b85a44f.jpg
14c375a05c5081d9cc8d421f022f1d29.jpg

Alright, so today i was thinking instead of shooting easy clad i would go back to a few spots that i had limited sucess at and see if i could pull somthing out of.

First spot i hit, a few weeks ago i had pulled 3 wheats from the area. Im trying somthing new. I switched from the 4 tone to 5 tone program, and added a small nickel range to ring as good targets. First good tone i heard was a 1941 nickel! so, that was pretty sweet hopefully ill start pulling more nickels now. i got 2 more wheats in that area to go with the nickel and then decidted to go to a nearby area where the buildings burt down in the 1960's

Its been 85F down here in southern alabama, and 80% humidity, its already getting hot. in the woods there is way less breeze so im sweating up a storm. first good signal, i dig it, its a freakin 1970 clad penny... so mad. im going along and the only thing im finding is giant trash, which is really frusterating. i go off the area a bit and in the distance i can see a cinderblock foundation kinda tucked away. i head over there, and there is a giant iron water heater of some kind laying in the middle. start poking my way around get a great signal. i dig it and pull a 10 oz chunk of melted lead out of the ground!

Next signal i dig is a 1942 wheat penny! i looked around for another 10 minues before it was time to head back in. wasnt a super productive spot and its really hard hunting but i will be back to try this one again..

Not alot of finds but atleast most of them were over 60 years old.

Very Respectfully,
NavyDT

1e4010563505269a623a3cfe3edeeaed.jpg

Man what a day at the beach!

I follow a guy on youtube called Kev who runs the Relic Rescue Crew channel. he created a 15 minute metal detecting challenge where you film 15 minutes of your hunt and then upload it. my kids and i decided to take part so today my faithful followers i have a treat for you! you can watch the video (if your bored or very drunk)

The hunt was pretty cool. Mostly stuck to the dry sand as i couldnt figure out how to get the XP Deus working in the wet sand well. oh well, i really wasnt trying that hard at any rate.

Hope you enjoy and as all ways keep cool out there,
NavyDT

b36ad3abfde6d271e61c2990f0f88b59.jpg

Easter Sunday so we did some real fun stuff with the kids. Classic egg hunt and lots of chocolate bunnies.

I hadn't hit any of the public schools in the area as they are pretty much only open to me on the weekends. The new nickel modification i made is pretty awesome because they nickels are really popping through.

First one was in the oldest part of town but the school had been rebuilt sometimes in the last 10 years. crazy thing there was almost no playground for a giant elementary school... ive seen city parks with a larger tot lot. The thing did have tons of quarters which i was not complaining about.

I also found 2 pieces of junk jewelry there, i thought that the gold was real at first but nope, oh well...

At any rate chump 1 and i went and got some ice cream and then hit one last quick school on the way home. first signal was the really dinged up nickel. The school was kinda meh, but i did score my 2nd dollar coin ever! boom!

Thanks again!
NavyDT

e5322ad5bdeaec3a7d2b856e42de40fc.jpg

Had a bit of time today, there is this foot ball field in one of the oldest parts of the base, has photos of it from 1948 so im thinking heck yea! lets get some oldies.

Head out to the field. first signal is awesome loud and a nickel about 6 inches deep, thing was from 1981 :S head out and was surprised how clean the area was, i did find 2 pennies, a dime and a nickel in the middle of the field but really there was nothing else there...

It was almost 1100 so it was time to pick up chump 3 from daycare, get him and the he says, "Dad lets go to the playground!" i was like sure son lets do it! lol.

ended up finding the remaining quarters in a pretty small little area. Nothing was in the sawdust of the play park but DAAMN! were coins all over in the grass area. Also found 3 toy cars so thats a plus.

Ill have to try to get to some older areas soon, i really need another silver since its been so long.

Im headed to my brothers boot camp graduation at benning later this week. Im excited because there are tons of parks there dating from the 1890's which means i could get some indian heads!!! WOOT!

Stay tuned my friends,
NavyDT

5f389148d61330a4028db5ce2188e4c8.jpg

WOOT! its time for the Columbus Georgia hunts!!!

So, in preparation i did tons of research. ive got a huge park from 1890's lined up along with a mattering of other parks of various ages.

First park which i was super excited for, was the oldie fom the 1890s. Man this park had areas with TONS of trash, or nothing but there were almost NO coins!.
I got super excited when i hit my first good repeatable 91 signal. The ground here was insanely hard to dig. got down and out poped what?!? a 1981 quarter? bummer. I think in total i found 2 times and another 3 pennies at the old park.

Onward to a little no nothing park in a nice high end neighbor hood. The park was really run down, but the set of stairs going from the street to the little low area was made from huge solid blocks of granite so im thinking back in the day it had more use? this place was not good at all. 2 zicolins and a dime from the mid 70's and eh. that was it.

Ok, to the ghetto park the last one on my list. wow, this thing had coins everywhere. Obviously untouched by a detector. I snagged my record for nickels in one day at this lil gem!

All in all it was an awesome day. i really need to figure out how to hunt trashy areas. I think my current program just isint doing it. Ive tried hunting in full tones but the progress is soooo slow going, you really cant cover any ground.

036a3368f92d5173c36f7ddb02e9121a.jpg

Its sunday and i had a little time to hunt. decided to go to a middle school and a elementary that was built in 1919 and had its last class in 2015

Middleschool: !!! soooo much trash! there were just large pieces of everything everywhere. plus the ground was like digging through hardened reinforced concrete. there is just no freakin way ill be going back there.

1919 school: i mean, this one should have been a gold mine. Again so much deep iron i felt like it was masking all of the good targets. Finding a repeatable high tone was nigh but impossible.

One thing about the deus.

Yes it can shoot coins in clean soil. i really cant recall ever digging a coin deeper that about 6 to 7 inches. Not really amazing depth and i would say im running about as deep as you can get with the machine.

Trashy sites? im not sure if im not doing it right but i just dont see how people can listen, identify and decide and make any progress in a timely manner. Ive tried notching all signals from 0-77 and just trying to pick some coins out of the trash but half the time im getting the feeling that im just walking over targets and not hearing them. Ive tried response 2 2.5 3 and 4 with no real difference.

I could obviously use some pointers. If i ever get a chance to go back to those schools im going to shoot some video so you guys can get an idea what its like.

Very Respectfully,
NavyDT

0db05f925ebf1b42faac968fb299b5de.jpg

Last edited:
Its sunday and i had a little time to hunt. decided to go to a middle school and a elementary that was built in 1919 and had its last class in 2015

Middleschool: !!! soooo much trash! there were just large pieces of everything everywhere. plus the ground was like digging through hardened reinforced concrete. there is just no freakin way ill be going back there.

1919 school: i mean, this one should have been a gold mine. Again so much deep iron i felt like it was masking all of the good targets. Finding a repeatable high tone was nigh but impossible.

One thing about the deus.

Yes it can shoot coins in clean soil. i really cant recall ever digging a coin deeper that about 6 to 7 inches. Not really amazing depth and i would say im running about as deep as you can get with the machine.

Trashy sites? im not sure if im not doing it right but i just dont see how people can listen, identify and decide and make any progress in a timely manner. Ive tried notching all signals from 0-77 and just trying to pick some coins out of the trash but half the time im getting the feeling that im just walking over targets and not hearing them. Ive tried response 2 2.5 3 and 4 with no real difference.

I could obviously use some pointers. If i ever get a chance to go back to those schools im going to shoot some video so you guys can get an idea what its like.

Very Respectfully,
NavyDT

0db05f925ebf1b42faac968fb299b5de.jpg

Your detector in your area will go deeper than 6 or 7",, rest assured.

Deus users need to remember,,you start toggling between reactvity levels,,silencer setting will set itself,,depending on reactvity level selected. This flaw should have been fixed with version 4.0,, don't know what Xp was thinking.

Keep your silencer at 0 or -1 for depth.
You need to commit to running one reactvity level.
If using 11" coil try 2.5 setting,,if using 9" coil try level 2 setting.

You have to go slow in trashy sites,,you can't walk continually and sweep.

I would say 8khz is where I would go and stay there.

I can already tell just by what you have dug in most of your sites,,,pretty good chance someone else has been there,,,and they were likely using fbs detector.

So,,in saying this,,concentrate moreso on areas with more iron.
When you find these areas,,,shift to lower gear when covering ground.

Keep your sens at 92 minimum at all times.
Audio report to level 5.

Running high notch will help weed out some trash.

You can hunt using full tones ,,,,disc level 6 iron volume off,,,notch set to say 66,, then start using to Deus to isolate targets.
Watch watch happens to ID as you sweep and continue to sweep as you pivot around suspect target.
Any tendencies for the target to go higher in spots,,brief periods of ID into the 70s or 80s-- if they do dig.

The deepest finds you likely won't see true ID,,but instead a 90s reading with high tone.

Try to run q true GB,,,by GBing in a cleaner area adjacent to actual site if you have to.

Should be some older nickels in this site too.
Know how nickels ID depending on your operating freq

Try this,,in those super trashy sites,,,go 18khz,,reactvity 2.5, silencer -1, sens 93, full tones,,notch 00-80,, anything that comes in tonally get to studying.

Sweep slow,,and have small coil progression.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom