new gold to my collection, any ideas to grade?

Glennz

Elite Member
No idea what this grades yet, gona have to tear out my red book some time.

what yall think

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

knowing how gold is i'd guess au?

With incuse gold like the Indian, the reverse almost always has scratches/dings due to being stored face up. 90% gold is still somewhat soft and many of these coins have been improved through buffing and AU coins can grade MS from what I've read. That is a nice ooh-ahh IH though and one of my favorite gold coins.

I'd call that AU55 all day!!! Shes purdy!!! :yes:

Thanks for the link. I got it from a reputable seller on ebay (they must be a coin dealer) I paid $247 for the thing. Ive got 10 ish rare / hard to find coins coming in soon. will post pics when they come in.

Last edited:
The Obverse seems to have a few hairline scratches and dings...maybe its just the pictures but along with more obvious scratches on the reverse along with what looks like rim rubbing id have to say VF at the best

It looks very nice. :thumbsup: the first thing I would do would be to weigh and measure it in order to be sure that it is authentic and real gold.
There are many forgeries out there and you got it on the *bay. Be cautious.
Tough if not impossible to grade from a photo as the wear is not on the recessed image but the surrounding raised background surfaces.

That's a details coin.

Harsh hairlines to the left of the date, above the head and to the left of the eagle's right shoulder/ wing on the reverse.

This coin looks like it was ex-jewelry. (likely removed from a bezel)

You should weigh and measure it.
Diameter should be 21.6 mm (0.85 in.)
Weight should be 8.359 grams

edge should have very uniform reeding

You should be suspicious to it's being genuine if weight and diameter are not both very, very close to specification.

edge should have very uniform reeding

You should be suspicious to it's being genuine if weight and diameter are not both very, very close to specification.

its real, theres only one seller that i would buy gold and valuable coins off ebay from. Its actually a company (forget the name) but they literally put thousands of coins up every week it seems like.

With incuse gold like the Indian, the reverse almost always has scratches/dings due to being stored face up. 90% gold is still somewhat soft and many of these coins have been improved through buffing and AU coins can grade MS from what I've read. That is a nice ooh-ahh IH though and one of my favorite gold coins.
AU coins can never grade MS because buffing doesn't restore metal... it takes more away. A novice could be fooled though.

edge should have very uniform reading

You should be suspicious of it's being genuine if weight and diameter are not both very, very close to specification.

its real, there's only one seller that i would buy gold and valuable coins off eBay from. It's actually a company (forget the name) but they literally put thousands of coins up every week it seems like.

It's an amazing coin. Hope I can find one or buy one!

I bought a morgan dollar that came from a reputable dealer (6500 positives) turned out to be fake. We got it taken care of.

Anyways, we're all friends around here and we look out for each other. I would weigh it and measure it immediately

Weak mint marks coin are one sign of counterfeit.

"In fact, PCGS once received a complete set of fakes in a custom holder, quite an achievement by an unwitting collector! "
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Fake-Indian-Head-Quarter-Eagles-/10000000011884130/g.html

It's an amazing coin. Hope I can find one or buy one!

I bought a morgan dollar that came from a reputable dealer (6500 positives) turned out to be fake. We got it taken care of.

Anyways, we're all friends around here and we look out for each other. I would weigh it and measure it immediately

Weak mint marks coin are one sign of counterfeit.

"In fact, PCGS once received a complete set of fakes in a custom holder, quite an achievement by an unwitting collector! "
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Fake-Indian-Head-Quarter-Eagles-/10000000011884130/g.html

The person i buy from (actually an investment company) has over 400,000 positive reviews. I do have a bit of duplicate coins available including an 1885 and 1886 liberty nickle, i normally get book value as everything i get profit wise goes towards the house i'm trying to get next year.

The 1885 and 1886 i may sell to the coin dealer as i don't know many folks looking for or that can afford that much of a high end coin.

Back
Top Bottom