Water proof compadre

machineman

I put this up on find mall also and thought it should be here too.
I just finished my water proof compadre mod. The compadre is the first detector that I bought and I still like it the best. I got a new 7" compadre and decided to mod my old 5.75" verison in to a water machine. It has volume, and sens, and disc on the inside (waterproof pots are $50 each so I didnt use them). It works so far (tested in pool) I will be happy to share any info I used to help others buld on mod similar designs.
Parts
Compadre, small water proof box ( from Dicks), Small on off switch, 10k ohm pot and 100 ohm resistor(sens), 5k ohm pot( volume) some knobs for the new pots, 9v battery holder, water tight cable clamps, rubber switch nipple. I found a pair of minelab excal headphones on ebay. I could only get one side to work so I took out the old buzzers and used some 300 ohm speakers I had. Then re sealed them in. Used some 1/4-20 nylon bolts and electrical conduit to hold control box to shaft. I used pvc and a heat gun to make the internal mount for the parts.
I changed out the normal Compadre disc pot (100k ohm with switch) to a normal 100k ohm pot. I didnt have water proof pots so I figured the next best thing would be to set up the detector how I like to run it, and then just turn it on and off from the outside. This would reduce the amount of opening and closing the box when potentially wet or dirty. I generally run my Compadre set about Iron and leave it there, so this works for me.

Attachments

• Board modded.jpg
    Board modded.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 5,592
  • WP Compadre 1.jpg
    WP Compadre 1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 2,869
  • WP Compadre top.jpg
    WP Compadre top.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 2,984
  • Wp Compadre internal.jpg
    Wp Compadre internal.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 2,881
  • WP Compadre 2.jpg
    WP Compadre 2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 2,824
sens pot

Here is how to mod the sens pot. I got this from a guy on the geotech forum.

Tesoro Compadre modification - easy
Posted by Pepso
Tuesday 12 October 2004, 02:05:52

There can be added panel mounted sensitivity knob very easily, because there are free solder pads intended for the potentiometer. Just remove VR4 trimmer and connect potentiometer with one resistor.
Add the slim-line coil connector also and I believe after that your Compadre is upgraded to Laser Scout or Cutlass MicroMax.

Attachments

• compadre sens schem.jpg
    compadre sens schem.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 2,928
APM HEXSEAL N5030S 1 Boot,Toggle Switch,1/4-40NS
HEYCO M3207 Liquid Tight Strain Relief Cordgrip Cord
Plano Guide Series Waterproof Case
I got the box at Dicks sporting goods the rest on ebay, and a local electronics shop.

I have another question :lol:
Are you able to extend the lower pole all the way with enough slack? Is that the stock length coil wire?

Also, how is it mounted? Any closeups?

thanks again

The stock coil cable is a little short. It is the stock cable but I was unable to mount the box any higher up the pole. I can get full extension. I was planning on mounting under the arm but couldn't. There is an advantage however. The new housing is buoyant enough to float the detector. With it mounted on top it keeps the detector upright in the water. I had it at the river yesterday for testing and it was leak free down to 5'. I couldn't get any deeper.

Attachments

• WP comp mount2.jpg
    WP comp mount2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 2,653
  • WP comp mount1.jpg
    WP comp mount1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 2,639
:goodpost: Lots of great info. THANKS! Hoping to do a water mod myself, but have stalled out, have got a straight shaft made up & water proof box. Wanted to do a back pac or chest type mount, but like you said coil wires to short. You do not have to CUT the ends off the wires, in order to use the m3207's do you?
You did an AWESOME job!!! Thanks for some new ideas... Hope you find some great treasures with it:waytogo:

The mod worked fine. I have not had a chance to use it in deeper than 5' of water but I dont really plan on it. These boxes are not really rated for much depth. I have used my compadre in salt sand and it does ok. Its not a depth monster any way and is even shallower in the salt sand. However it doesnt false too much and i have a Sensitivity mod on this unit so I can turn it down if it gets too bad. This is really more for searching fresh water areas, I have a Sovereign for the beach.

Dont have $ for a beach unit reason I asked. Im not expecting Excalibur performance but 3~5" would do

Back
Top Bottom