Cache containers

detectingMO

Forum Supporter
Anyone found any made of iron or know of any cache boxes that would be made of iron? Trying to decide if it's worth it to fully unearth a big piece of iron I have found around 20" deep right against/below and 150 year old tree stump in my yard. Note, this old tree is approximately 200' from a mid 1800's home site or I wouldn't even bother. Can't believe how deep I had to dig to find this big iron but I only got the top of it uncovered and it's about 3x5" in size. I didn't go any deeper since I only had my lesche on me. Can't tell if it's hollow or just piece of iron. It had to have been right against the tree when it was very small so I'm guessing no cache.

I'll see if the home site is any better later today. Some day I'll cut the stump up some so I can get to it better.

I dug a piece of iron like that, pretty much same situation, next to a tree, deep, old property, I think it might of been a pig farm back in day b/c of some old fencing on property, looked like a corral to heard animals. called my buddy over to help dig. It ended up being a door to an old pot belly stove, it was still a cool find though. was excited it could of been a cache...GL+HH.....cliff.

Do it! I did same thing a few years back and it turned out to be a road sign. Maybe you have better luck!

It's the adventure of the hobby, you never really know for sure, until you dig it up, and hold it in your hand.

It's the adventure of the hobby, you never really know for sure, until you dig it up, and hold it in your hand.

Yah if you come back and tell us you decided not to dig it or it turned out to be a tractor part we will know you really hit the mother load!

I will eventually. Around the home site a lot more big iron junk. I still like to dig junk though! I like seeing history.

You won't know for sure till ya DIG:grin: even old homestead junk is still cool, I live on a 150 yr old farm in Mo. myself in the middle of order 11 counties from the civil war. dig it and you'll know for sure :D

i'd dig it. especially if the tree is big and old. could be tractor parts, sign, big hunk of junk.... I'm working on the wife's family farm (our hunting camp now) and hit near a couple of old trees. Found license plates wired together, fuel systems for tractors and other misc parts....could find a nice piece of history.

Probably just something someone leaned against the tree years ago...you know, like a metal box full of double eagles. :laughing:

IF nothing else, drill it with a metal bit and a cordless drill (will drill very quickly...keep the bit on low speed to not ruin it) and rent a bore scope from Autozone to check it out if it's hollow.

Two words. Shovel, and dig. I wouldn't have wasted 48 hours before getting to that mystery. "Shovel-time???", maybe 10 minutes. Go for it. martin

Back
Top Bottom