First Hunt With Hip Mount With Excal Finds Small Silver

JBEXPRESS

Lunch Time Bandit
Forum Supporter
So I made a hip mount for my Excal ll a few nights ago and was finally able to get out last night for a few hours... I was only able to hit low tide for about 30 minutes as I got there late when coming back up so I did a little wet sand and some dry sand.. I gotta say the detector is much lighter... The only problem I am seeing now is when the coil gets wet and sand piles on top of the coil it gets heavy swinging so tends to put some strain on the shoulder because all the weights on the bottom of the shaft. BUT if swinging on dry sand with no water involved its great.. I bet its fine in the water as well.

Now to the finds....

Ended up with $3.52 in clad ( got a few damn 1965 quarters and dimes!! :mad: ) A junk costume ring that has been sitting there for a while, and I got these junk metal pieces that were scattered within a 10x10 area.. Looks like it came from a junk bracelet or something. I found 9 of them.. And the best part is a 925 Silver Earring with the back still intact. Small but I will take it..

Here are some pics...Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!

Attachments

• IMG_0759.JPG
    IMG_0759.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_0766.JPG
    IMG_0766.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_0761.JPG
    IMG_0761.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0763.JPG
    IMG_0763.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 369
Sounds good , just be careful with the wires. Mk sure there taped good at the ends so they don't bend. Great finds also . GOOD LUCK

I swear the last 3 times out I have scooped a few 65s and 66s -- kind of annoying.

congrats on the test run and the silver

Congrats JB.

And you beat me with the sterling stud. Last weekend I fought with one that was a little bigger then a BB and the stamp was on the pin ( no backer on mine) Yours looks to have some size to it for being a stud earring.

Also, I have been considering a hip scenario for my stingray ( an added benefit would be reducing the chance of it accidently opening). Sadly I can't seem to locate a setup that is specifically for the Tesoro stingray anywhere. I'm starting to think I may need to custom make a pouch for it.. That route might actually be best since I can tailor it to my needs better I'm thinking.

Glad you like the setup JB now get in the water and get that gold :D

Lakota

A few of the guys are saying zip ties on the wire is not good. With use, the zip ties will chafe and cut into the wire. Black electrical tape is supposed to be much better...

Ok cool.. I will have to get some electrical tape then.. Dont wanna damage the cords..

Congrats JB.

And you beat me with the sterling stud. Last weekend I fought with one that was a little bigger then a BB and the stamp was on the pin ( no backer on mine) Yours looks to have some size to it for being a stud earring.

Also, I have been considering a hip scenario for my stingray ( an added benefit would be reducing the chance of it accidently opening). Sadly I can't seem to locate a setup that is specifically for the Tesoro stingray anywhere. I'm starting to think I may need to custom make a pouch for it.. That route might actually be best since I can tailor it to my needs better I'm thinking.

Glad you like the setup JB now get in the water and get that gold :D

Lakota

Thanks.. and let me just say the this damn earring kept falling through the holes of my scoop and I finally had to search for it in the sand. lol

The hip mounts are SO much money to where it would be so much cheaper and easy to make one yourself. Plus you can make it to how you want.

Congrats on the silver. I chest mounted my GT for the first time last month because it was raining. I found it very awkward. It was difficult to keep my swings even and SLOW. I think I actually prefer it mounted under the rod. I haven't tried hip mounting the excal yet, but probably will give it a try once I put my 10" tornado on it. Like you said about your outing, I noticed the same thing when the dry sand clumped up on my wet coil, really front end heavy.

A few of the guys are saying zip ties on the wire is not good. With use, the zip ties will chafe and cut into the wire. Black electrical tape is supposed to be much better...

Mate my excalibur lasted 3 months hip mounted and I loved it. Right up till the strain and constant movement damaged the wires. Minelab tech here in Australia said excalibur coil wire is not suitable for hip mounting $400.00 later it's back on a straight shaft. Just my 2 cents worth :D

It seems that taking the wire from the box and making a "slack" connection to the box (tape), spin a pig tail and re-taping (to the shaft) might help protect the wires from having to stretch. Or maybe not. Just thinking out loud.

nice job! I hate when you find several pieces of the same thing broken and scattered around the same area,,,thats of course unless its gold pieces,:laughing:have not hip mounted but you bring a good point about the coil weight,,,I guess I will stick with arm mounting,,HH

Back
Top Bottom