Which coil on Ace 250 for beach?

jkbemdavis

Elite Member
Hi All,
Been off a while, but had some fun at my sister's house last weekend and definitely am pyched for my trip to the beach next week. My question/s are related to how to search with my Ace 250. I have posted previously and received some great guidance. I have two coils...one about a 4X6 and the otehr a 9X12 or so. Is it better to use the larger coil on the beach or will the smaller coil provide fewer false readings if I get into wet sand a bit? Also, I have been told to stay out of the surf due to salinity affecting the detector... should I run it with a cover on it or am I okay in the ocean breeze without it?
Thanks,
John

DD Coil for the open beach and a "Sniper" for up around the chairs...

373781_10150897526570635_336049713_n.jpg

wouldnt hurt to carry a plastic trash bag in a pocket and I also agree with my fellow posters, I notch out the first iron and keep sensitivity up as high as I can and only go down if need be.and I hunt in the wet sand. dont let the coil touch as it will false every time. good luck and low tide is your friend

Coil should be water proof.

A sandwich baggy round the control box (held in place on the bottom with a rubber band or zip tie) is a darn good ideal on the beach/lake/river/pond or around kids playing with a water hose. Take my word on the kid part.

Got out last night and this morning!

Went out for about 30 min last night before a big storm moved in, then went inside with the lightening rod. Result last night...lots of false reads, some trash, and a little education. This morning, lots more falses, until I moved closer to the towel line, where I found some more trash to pick up...was ready to quit, and found a quarter by eye sitting on the sand. Searched around it and found another dime. Kept it up for a while, and got some great exercise, fresh air, and $1.53. Great start to the day I'd say!

Went out for about 30 min last night before a big storm moved in, then went inside with the lightening rod. Result last night...lots of false reads, some trash, and a little education. This morning, lots more falses, until I moved closer to the towel line, where I found some more trash to pick up...was ready to quit, and found a quarter by eye sitting on the sand. Searched around it and found another dime. Kept it up for a while, and got some great exercise, fresh air, and $1.53. Great start to the day I'd say!

it sounds like you're off to a good start and enjoying yourself. :yes:

if you're near the wet sand and your machine is falsing on you, just lower your sensitivity. yes, you will lose depth, but if you can eliminate those false signals, you'll still have a chance of finding things.
if i run my 250 on anything over a 3, it will false on me. then again, it depends on the beach... there's another one i go to where i can easily run it at 5 or 6 with no problems! oh, and i generally run in all metal mode.

you'll have to experiment a bit, but you should still be able to hunt the wet sand as well as the dry. just remember to increase your settings again when you head for the drier sands. :yes:

Pete

Thanks Pete

Thanks for more suggestions. By the end of the weel I may have some of this figured out.
I'll keep you all updated.
Peace!

Back
Top Bottom