drysuit

capteider

my brother recently found a dry suit on Craigslist, got got it for short money but it leaks a little. even though it leaKS he is loving it. so now i want one too..not one that leaks. so what i want to need to know what kind should i get?? and where. i don't want to spend big bucks if possible

One Option

Dry is the only way to fly when going in cold and neck deep.....Try ebay, new with tags only, survival suit, drysuit, immersion suit, military, special op's, one size larger if your a oldgoat like me. spring to late summer the best time for the deals, Nothing real old....... my last was the best deal I've ever got....but you have to wait and watch. Suit and, One of my evening raids on a Baltimore area private beach...Good Luck

Attachments

• SNAG-.jpg
    SNAG-.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 706
  • IMG_2605[1].JPG
    IMG_2605[1].JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 665
There are a lot of different types of drysuits. A scuba diving drysuit is the most expensive but the driest type. There are also survival type drysuits, waterskiing and motorcycle drysuits.

If you are only wading and not snorkeling or diving then any of them could work ok. If you are planning on submerging yourself for any amount of time, you really need a scuba drysuit.

Getting a leak in a drysuit can be either uncomfortable or it can be fatal.

Dry suits are common in the white water community. They are NOT cheap and the latex gaskets need to be replaced often. Check out REI or NOC. NOC is probably a better price but expect to pay well over $300 for one.

$300 is cheap for a drysuit! A quality scuba drysuit can be $1500.

The latex seals are the best, but they don't need constant replacement. I have been using mine for a few years and they still good. The bad part is that you have to send the suit off to have the seals replaced unless you have a $1500 suit with "zip seals".

Last edited:
Dry definitely the way to go if you can afford it for cold water. I use a diving shell suit for anything above waist deep. One important feature to look for is the ability to dress and undress yourself without the assistance of a buddy. Another important feature if you are water hunting is the ability to urinate without taking the whole suit off - we spend so much time in the suit - there are various options be it a crotch zip or a pee valve - one which means you need to leave the water the other not. HH

$300 is cheap for a drysuit! A quality scuba drysuit can be $1500.

The latex seals are the best, but they don't need constant replacement. I have been using mine for a few years and they still good. The bad part is that you have to send the suit off to have the seals replaced unless you have a $1500 suit with "zip seals".
The suits I used to use kayaking were about $400. The gaskets would last me 2 seasons. They sell kits to replace the neck, wrists and ankles with the glue for about $100 or so. Simply cut the old off leaving an inch and glue the new on. Dry suits are the bomb but they take getting used to with the latex around your neck.

Has anybody used a NRS Relief Drysuit? I can buy one barely used one size over my ideal according to NRS's chart for $275.

Lake Michigan is cold 80% of the time so I don't want a wetsuit. Thanks !!

Has anybody used a NRS Relief Drysuit? I can buy one barely used one size over my ideal according to NRS's chart for $275.

Lake Michigan is cold 80% of the time so I don't want a wetsuit. Thanks !!
Not sure what that is. NRS is the most expensive outfitter to purchase from and has been for a long time. NOC has much better pricing. They are near Bryson City NC.

Be sure you buy a drysuit two sizes larger so you can layer under it. You will need to wear warm thick poly in layers with cold water. Dress like you are going out in 30 degree weather under the dry suit. I used to WW kayak with snow on the ground and frozen river banks. That is when the water is running fast so you go in winter. Water will suck the heat and that suit will do nothing to insulate you. Even dry you will freeze your butt off. Get one larger than you think you need. Wet suits work well after you get in and the water warms inside the suit. They just suck getting into and out of. A drysuit is much better. You take it off and drive home warm and dry.

Not sure what that is. NRS is the most expensive outfitter to purchase from and has been for a long time. NOC has much better pricing. They are near Bryson City NC.

Be sure you buy a drysuit two sizes larger so you can layer under it. You will need to wear warm thick poly in layers with cold water. Dress like you are going out in 30 degree weather under the dry suit. I used to WW kayak with snow on the ground and frozen river banks. That is when the water is running fast so you go in winter. Water will suck the heat and that suit will do nothing to insulate you. Even dry you will freeze your butt off. Get one larger than you think you need. Wet suits work well after you get in and the water warms inside the suit. They just suck getting into and out of. A drysuit is much better. You take it off and drive home warm and dry.

Thanks, now I know I'm on the right track. I'm going to buy it it has been worn twice and hung inside, it looks like new and the cuffs and neck are nice and supple.
I wanted to be sure I could get into it easily and I like to drink coffee when I'm water hunting even in summer so the relief part is a must!
Here it is, color pattern is slightly different, its an older model. I have to get some zipper cleaner and wax. Ready for fall water hunting! :cool:

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=22512

$275? WOW, you better jump fast. Depending on your neck you will need to get used to the feeling of the latex squeezing. Do not cut the neck gasket if it is tight. You will get used to it but it takes time. Wax for the zippers is helpful too. That is a nice suit! Good luck and HH. One thing to add, if you or anyone in your home smokes ciggs, hang it somewhere else. The latex will fall apart.

$275? WOW, you better jump fast. Depending on your neck you will need to get used to the feeling of the latex squeezing. Do not cut the neck gasket if it is tight. You will get used to it but it takes time. Wax for the zippers is helpful too. That is a nice suit! Good luck and HH. One thing to add, if you or anyone in your home smokes ciggs, hang it somewhere else. The latex will fall apart.

Picked it up this morning! :D Thanks for all of your help I appreciate it. :grin:

After watching a couple videos I checked the zippers for creases and its in as good condition as I thought. Great timing, its August and once the nights get consistantly cool Lake MI will be cold fast.
I'm very happy, now there is no great rush to get in the water before before it gets too cold.

I got until ice up now! :cool:

What kind of gloves and footwear is best with these dry suits? It has the built in socks.

You can use any divers booties. Many of us use the "flats" boots sold at Bass Pro. They used to be lifetime warranty but they took that away. Still good boots at $20 and zippers make it easy to get on and off. Buy boots with zippers. Pull on booties when wet are hard to get off and may tear your drysuit socks. Man I am jealous! Oh yea, trim your toenails. :-)

You can use any divers booties. Many of us use the "flats" boots sold at Bass Pro. They used to be lifetime warranty but they took that away. Still good boots at $20 and zippers make it easy to get on and off. Buy boots with zippers. Pull on booties when wet are hard to get off and may tear your drysuit socks. Man I am jealous! Oh yea, trim your toenails. :-)

Thanks again, I just ordered these from shoebuy one and a half size larger than my normal.
http://www.shoebuy.com/neosport-wetsuits-7mm-hi-top-zip-boot/465478

They look a little heavier duty and bass pro has high shipping and charges tax in MI so no go there.

Shoebuy has free shipping and no tax and mr rebates gives 15% cash back on shoebuy purchases and Summer15 gets 15% off at checkout
win-win so fingers crossed that they ain't junk! :grin:

Why one and a half size larger?

Thanks again, I just ordered these from shoebuy one and a half size larger than my normal.
http://www.shoebuy.com/neosport-wetsuits-7mm-hi-top-zip-boot/465478

They look a little heavier duty and bass pro has high shipping and charges tax in MI so no go there.

Shoebuy has free shipping and no tax and mr rebates gives 15% cash back on shoebuy purchases and Summer15 gets 15% off at checkout
win-win so fingers crossed that they ain't junk! :grin:

Back
Top Bottom