Mastering Getting Permission to Detect

you forgot to add....... when all else fails bribe the homeowner with a case of beer :yes:

BTW: It's probably not a good idea to accept an invitation inside from a married person of the opposite sex when the spouse is not home, but that's a story for another time.

(and MS)

LMFAO (Laughing My %^$#*@ A$$ Off) So about that story? Anyhow solid thread btw will try some of this :grin: I to am a salesman!

Metal On!

If I suspect or anticipate a "No" in advance of the visit (ie "You can ask, but that lady never let's anybody on her property. You'll be lucky if she doesn't shoot you on sight.") then I will play downright dirty: I will bring my 10 year old daughter with me if its a woman I am talking to, or bring my hot wife if I am speaking to a man. That is really not fair though, is it? Remember, like it or not, you are selling. Sell it, baby!!! :laughing:

(and MS)

Rofl again such a great read!!Yup check got the hot wife! Yup double or well triple check I've got the kiddos... 4 years old 2 years old and 9 months girls and a boy :P

Metal On!

sounds like it was written by my Father. ( grin ) Before I was born he was a manufacturers rep for dairy and poultry equipment in Miss , Ala and Georgia. He actually knew Jerry Clowers when he was a traveling salesman. The governor of Miss once told my Dad , Mr. , there was not a chicken in the entire state of Mississippi until you got here !

I quit detecting in the mid 90's for some of these reasons. Land owners had become hostile. Before METH in rural areas , people had all their tools out on their car ports. If something broke , they went to town , bought a part , brought it home and fixed it on the carport. Not now. People steal everything that is not locked up. This situation has hurt us , the relic hunter in rural areas where we hunt civil war stuff. I will incorporate some of your techniques as I get back into this great hobby.

You left out , " brag on their dogs "

Thanks

Very well written and informative for a newbie like myself. I also would like to add working your place of employment and/or relatives for any contacts they may have for you. I work at a small town hospital and everyone here knows somewhere I should be hunting!

Good ethics, nice and clean approach. I like that you were able to share this. ty

Very nice read, lots of advice and techniques that will make the chore of getting permission that much easier... plus think of all the cool history you will learn about in the process!

Great threads always stay alive! Very informative read!

I use a lot of these methods. Usually right up front I make it personal..."My name is.....I live at (gives my address), I'm married, 2 kids and work at so and so. I try to be as straight forward as possible without being pushy. Once they see I'm not selling anything or in a cult....I can get their attention enough to intrigue them. :laughing:... or at least make them understand exactly what I'm requesting.
I definitely expect to get turned down in the future no matter what the approach, but a personal, professional method has worked for me so far. GL! HH!

How do you master gaining permission?

It's not a talent, it's a question.

If you walk up to someone's door with a script and an agenda folks will sniff it out. It's a bore. Think about how you feel when someone knocks without invitation. There's few things I find less appealing than being pressured on my own front porch. Trust me, they feel the same way no matter how intimidatable/low self-confidence they are, or how poised and self-confident you are. (If you've outmanouvered a homeowner with your 'overcoming objections', '12 habits of millionaire salespeople' then you're really there without permission, IMO.) Imagine how refreshing it would be to answer a cold knock at the door and be met with a real person from down the street, humbly asking a favor of the Lord of the Manor (instead of a nervous/overconfident face using transparent and newly learned ' skills' that fake that earnest favor request). Sure, sales talent will get you in the door, but do you really want to be in the yard/field of the poor soul you've 'convinced' to be there while reminding them, on a beautiful Saturday morning, how mentally weak they are? Make a friend, the world's full enough of counterfeits.

TBS, I do think it's important to tell the homeowner where I live and if we have acquaintances in common. Remember, you're asking to trespass and dig holes on their property. Be nice. Smile. "Hi, I'm Bobby from down the street. Your neighbors friend. I was wondering, and feel free to run me off, but I was wondering if you'd allow me to metal detect in your yard? If they look confused, expain what your asking. If they say no, accept that no means no and that they have good reason to deny your request (They do, it's called some weird dude/gal asking to dig gopher holes everywhere). Move on. If they say yes, thank them, and ask them if they'd check on you every half hour to see if you're thirsty. No, don't do that, even though there's a certain percentage of people who would watch the clock and do just that, every half hour, but there's no honor in manipulating the weak.

If someone's given you permission of their own volition, and upon their own reflection, then you've made a friend and a contact with their neighbors/associates. If you've 'obtained' permission with any pressure whatsoever, then you've just gained access. Nothing more. Everyone feels pressure. We're tuned to it. They know they're being muscled no matter how slick you are and in their hearts they can't wait for you to leave.

No offence to folks who make a living convincing people, but if you're reading this thread you're asking how to get past a 'No Tresspassing' sign and violate the sanctity of someone's private space.....with a shovel.

Don't convince. Ask.

You'll feel better for it. And so will they.

The goal isn't finding a place to detect, it's finding someone who will give you a place to detect.

Just one man's opinion..

How do you master gaining permission?

It's not a talent, it's a question.

If you walk up to someone's door with a script and an agenda folks will sniff it out. It's a bore. Think about how you feel when someone knocks without invitation. There's nothing less appealing than being pressured on my own front porch. Trust me, they feel the same way no matter how intimidatable/low-self-confidence they are or how poised and self-confident you are. (If you've outmanouvered a homeowner with your, 'overcoming objections', '12 habits of millionaire salespeople' then you're really there without permission IMO.) Imagine how refreshing it would be to answer a cold knock at the door and be met with a real person from down the street, humbly asking a favor of the King/Queen of the land (instead of a nervous/overconfident face using transparent and newly learned ' skills' that fake that earnest favor request). Sure, sales talent will get you in the door, but do you really want to be in the yard/field of the poor soul you've 'convinced' to be there while reminding them, on a beautiful Saturday morning, how mentally weak they are? Make a friend, the world's full enough of counterfeits.

TBS, I do think it's important to tell the homeowner where I live and if we have acquaintances in common. Remember, you're asking to trespass and dig holes on their property. Be nice. Smile. "Hi, I'm Bobby from down the street. Your neighbors friend. I was wondering, and feel free to run me off, but I was wondering if you'd allow me to metal detect in your yard? If they look confused, expain what your asking. If they say no, accept that no means no and that they have good reason to deny your request and move on. If they say yes, thank them.

If someone's given you permission of their own volition, and upon their own reflection, then you've made a friend and a contact with their neighbors/associates. If you've 'obtained' permission with any pressure whatsoever, then you've just gained access. Nothing more. Everyone feels pressure. We're tuned to it. They know they're being muscled no matter how slick you are and in their hearts they can't wait for you to leave.

No offence to folks who make a living convincing people, but if you're reading this thread you're asking how to get past a 'No Tresspassing' sign and violate the sanctity of someone's private space.....with a shovel.

Don't convince. Ask.

You'll feel better for it.

The goal isn't finding a place to detect, it's finding someone who will give you a place to detect.

Just one man's opinion..

I'm with you on this one....

In my humble opinion, it's not that important to convince someone they should allow you to hunt on their property. If you ask and they say no, end of story as far as I'm concerned. I don't feel it's necessary to "soft sell" your way onto a persons' property.

HDD

This is one of the few threads I have had the opportunity to read completely through. I find refreshing to have someone willing to share such insight and perspective.

Thank you!

Thought I'd bump this thread. Just came across it whilst doing some research and found it quite informative. Maybe someone can learn something from it too. :)

Great advice. Should be a sticky

I also vote for this as a sticky. I've been on here for years and somehow never read it. Best write-up on the subject I've ever seen! When the new printer arrives, I will copy this for sure. A huge thanks to the author. HH, George (MN)

Back
Top Bottom