Water hunted underground today...

zeemang

Forum Supporter
Myself and Canadianguy got together and took a short road trip to hunt some cenotes, basically sinkholes in the limestone shelf that makes up the entire Yucatan peninsula. There are 1000's of them here and they are popular swimming holes...I've wanted to get around to hunting a few of these for awhile now... Digging is extremely hard, not really digging at all, more like fanning the dirt off the bedrock and then pushing gravel and hopefully the target in to your scoop... Very difficult places to hunt, but i really doubt anyone has hunted them before...
Found mostly older coin from the 40's on up and two junk rings and a piece o bling...
Fourth pic is another cenote we visited that was in the same area, but did not hunt, just a great photo....
Something different and a fun day out in the country!

Attachments

• P280212_08.48.jpg
    P280212_08.48.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 486
  • P280212_08.49.jpg
    P280212_08.49.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 472
  • P280212_08.50_[01].jpg
    P280212_08.50_[01].jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 487
  • P280212_11.29.jpg
    P280212_11.29.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 480
  • P280212_15.11.jpg
    P280212_15.11.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 478
That looks like an awesome place to hunt,good luck in the future,i am sure you will fine some good stuff in one of them holes!!:wow:

Wow, I've never heard of anyone hunting a spot like that, Zee.

Cool pics.....It instantly reminded me of the famous Guatemalan sink hole.

HH,
Raphis
Dan

Attachments

• Guatemala-City-sinkhole.jpg
    Guatemala-City-sinkhole.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 454
Very cool pictures Scott! You did well for the first time hunting one! Did this one have a lot of stalagmites and stalactites? The one I saw at Valladolid was crazy. Hope you get to do some more hunting at them, good luck buddy.

You've changed my ideas on sink holes Zee. Never would have thought they would swim in sink holes but has to be a cool place to spend those hot summer days. Nice finds.
Watch out for Gollum :lol:

That looks like an amazing place to hunt, bad place to park your truck though... :lol:

I love scuba diving in the cenotes down there! Never know what you might find, I have seen video of ancient pottery and other items found in cenotes.

What an idea, detecting underwater!

That reminds me of a show I saw recently where some archaeologists were cave diving. I can't remember which continent they were in (THINK it was somewhere in North America, possibly South America), but the caves were unbelievably deep. People used to dump their dead in the holes because they believed that was where life came from. They found remains of a dead diver, and a turtle as well as the croc/gator that killed it (neither could get out of the hole)!

They had an excursion out of cozumel on the carnival ships and such that went to a cenote around there. You should find out where that one is and detect at that one! lots a tourist activity! :D

Major Maya settlements required access to adequate water supplies, and therefore cities, including the famous Chichén Itzá, were built around these natural wells. Some cenotes like the Cenote of Sacrifice in Chichén Itzá played an important role in Maya rites. Believing that these pools were gateways to the afterlife, the Maya sometimes threw valuable items into them. The discovery of golden sacrificial artifacts in some cenotes led to the archaeological exploration of most cenotes in the first part of the 20th century. Edward Herbert Thompson, an American diplomat who had bought the Chichén Itzá site, began dredging the Sacred Cenote there in 1904. He discovered human skeletons and sacrificial objects confirming a local legend, the Cult of the Cenote, involving human sacrifice to the rain gods (Chaacs) by ritual casting of victims and objects into the cenote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cenote

Hopefully you find some Mayan gold, watch out for angry archaeologists...

Back
Top Bottom