My Curse Continues

mnhunter

Elite Member
At least it feels that way. Don't get me wrong. I'm very happy with all that I've found. I've found 4 silver rosies, a 40% Kennedy half, an 1867 shield nickel,a silver ring, a gold ring..:D...but the mercs, silver Washingtons, and Barbers elude me...:( I know I'm hunting in the right spots, but I just can't seem to hit them. Wheaties of the time period and an IH, but no old silver....feeling cursed. OK, the whining is done, got three 30's wheaties tonight from the same spot I got the shield nickel. I think I may be on the money now. It just got too dark to do more searching. Gets dark so early after work. Did a bit of research and I think I found where most of the coins will be found. It's an old site, in the woods, hard to hunt, but a lot of fun. Pics.

A 35, 39 D and 30 though you can't see the date in the pic. The 1939 is going to my mom since it's the year she was born.

100_2826.jpg

100_2824.jpg

I have found 2 Mercs, one rosie and a couple of wheaties and one beat up Indian head...that's it in the old coin department.

Great stuff is all around us, I have researched and found great sites, but it is impossible to get deep enough to find them with any detector except maybe a PI type due to our extremely bad soil.

Don't complain, I would kill to find stuff like that nickel.

Also, a watched pot never boils.
Just go out and have a good time and it will probably happen for you when you least expect it.

Keep searching! If you are finding wheat pennies other old coins will show up!
If the area is very old, check around the large trees. Try to envision what the area looked like years ago! This has worked for me in the past, locate an old aerial photo. They started taking photos in the mid thirties, check out historic map works! Good Luck! HH..C-Dog

i have been the chief investigator for two countys and i specialized in drug enforcement. i gave a lot of classes and speaches at differant places schools, war vets, community events and ect. i always had to start off by exsplaining why marijuana is a gate way drug. well after getting into metal detecting i have found that wheat penneys are the gate way drug for us who md. lol

Last edited:
Whats wrong with you?

Hey..you are doing just fine..the coins you talk about elude many of us. Man you've gotten a shield..a shield. You think they happen everyday? I'm pulling your chain here but honestly..you are doing well.

Very long, and maybe boring reply

Thanks for the comments and encouragement. This post was mainly tongue in cheek really. I am more than happy with everything I've found. The shield nickel is so over the top I don't know how to act. I realize how lucky I am and that I'm on a really great site. Did a lot of research to find this place. This area had no coins before the mid 1850's, maybe the 1860's so the shield is an amazing find for me and so early in my detecting addiction.

Tonight a friend of mine and I went back to the site. I found no coins, but he hit two wheaties. A 1914 and a 1911. We had split up and when I met him at the car I asked him what he had. He said "just a couple pennies." I checked the dates and the conditions of the wheats. They looked like they had just been dropped with a bit of embedded dirt, no real corrosion that I could see. I said the him "Do you know that you are probably the first person to touch these in 90-100 years. These are great finds!" Then it hit him. I saw the look in his eyes. He looked at the coins again with a whole new appreciation. I think the 1914 was a 1914 D which means it may have some value. I need to call him in the morning. I told him not to touch them and just put them away. Hope he did just that.

Tonight when I came out of the woods I met my friend on the road and he was talking to a bow hunter who I met in the woods about a week ago. Very nice guy. I met him the same day that I found the shield nickel and I showed it to him at the time. Turns out he makes videos for Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine. He thought what we were doing was really cool. I had found a shed antler in the woods and when I told him what it looked like he said that he knew the of buck and had been looking for this shed for a couple years. He collects sheds and had the sheds from this buck for a couple years, but couldn't find this one side. I gave it to him (had it in my truck) since I have a huge collection of sheds already and it was a buck he had been following for a while. He in turn gave me permission to hunt his yard (big yard, very old house) all I wanted and told me of a couple other choice sites in the woods there that I should check out.

All in all it was a amazing after work hunt. Although I didn't find a thing I got to hunt with my best friend, he found a couple old coins, I met a new friend, he gave me permission to hunt a new very choice place and I saw an amazing sunset with coyotes howl for background music. Doesn't get much better than that.

Oh, BTW..The ground isn't close to being froze. I'll hunt until it's too hard to dig.

Keep searching! If you are finding wheat pennies other old coins will show up!
If the area is very old, check around the large trees. Try to envision what the area looked like years ago! This has worked for me in the past, locate an old aerial photo. They started taking photos in the mid thirties, check out historic map works! Good Luck! HH..C-Dog

Thanks for the info. Oldest aerial photo is 1939. There were no trees then. This area was denuded for the lumber with no thinking of saving old tress, it was like a prairie. I have checked the oldest trees with no luck. I do have a few historic pics to go by so I know what the area was like back then in fact the 1867 nickel was found right outside the back door of an old building that was here although there is no trace left to be seen. I did look for the old roads and trails and found the 1930 wheat back on the middle of an old road.

I was thinking that Merc's were going to be the one coin that eluded me! I was joking to Silverseeker that somebody must be teasing me because my last 2 silvers were a '48 and then a '46 Rosie.

Then I find 2 Merc's in a week. Just like someone said earlier, just have fun and it'll just happen!

Back
Top Bottom