• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Metallic "rocks"??

jwebs

Elite Member
So, I went out to a local park that has been around for quite some time now(since the late 1800s), and I wandered into an area where I found these "rocks". Each one rang up as 80+ on the F2, ranged in depth from 2" to 6", and were all contained in about a 300 sq. ft. area. They are very light for their size to be metallic in nature. They are NONmagnetic! The picture in which im holding one and you can see a small amount of the interior is where I tried to cut the rock with a small handheld grinder type device that I got from harbor freight....any ideas on what this might be?? I have about 4 more, ranging in size from about the size of a quarter, to about 3"x3"x2".

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Looks like melted aluminum. People throw them into fires and they melt to a blob. You said light right?

They seem pretty light...lighter than a piece of iron would be at the sizes. I don't have a scale on hand to weigh them, but they seem like they should be a little heavier than they actually are for metallic rocks of their sizes.

They seem pretty light...lighter than a piece of iron would be at the sizes. I don't have a scale on hand to weigh them, but they seem like they should be a little heavier than they actually are for metallic rocks of their sizes.

Probably Aluminum Blobs as others have stated... I've found many 'weird Blobs' such as this, with many of them being quite 'heavy'. Most of them appear to be made from lead, but others are definitely 'copper'. However the copper / bronze ones 'came to be' are a 'MYSTERY' to me since a LOT of heat would be needed to create them (A campfire/house fire wouldn't be enough).
Anyway, I have several of them and 'all' Blobs of metal are fun to find. :)

Cheers,

Update

So, I tumbled the blobs, and this is what they generally came out looking like:
Up close they have a nice glittery, scintillating look to them...not very unique finds, but still pretty cool to have :)
picture.php

Back
Top Bottom