Newbie trying to get a MT (trying to avoid a GARRET VS OTHER BRANDS fight)

31-coinshooting

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I've been collecting coins for almost 15 years, and years ago I started rock collecting thanks to my daughter who got me interested. If you put this two ingredients together... I would like to start with metal detecting focus in current and old coins. Going to parks, lakes, old houses, beaches, rivers, you name it... but like I said before, focus mainly in current and old coins to add to my collection!!!)

I've been doing research for which machine to get and I know for newbies like myself this can be overwhelming and tentative (NOX 600/800) because there always going to exist a better machine for a little more money than what you are planning to spend an sometimes discussions in forums can confuse you even more. I'm a very dedicated person I do not mind spend time to get to know a MD :cool:

Which MT would you recommend me to get to find coins anywhere (not necessarily waterproof but I will need it for shallow water)
under 500$?

... I live in Maryland just as a reference.

Used at pro,equinox 600,whites mx sport,kruzer ..all used in the $500 range or less..Get your coil over it and you’ll find it with them all,,one might find a nickel another won’t if your that hardcore about not missing anything..lol

If you are just starting I would definitely say Equinox 600. It is pretty much turn on and go and powerful. I don't know that I have seen any as low as $500, but you're getting really close.

I don't think you'd do too badly with a Teknetics T2+ or G2+. I found some good stuff with my F19, which is the same as G2+.

My advice, (which I am not too good at following) is to get a detector and learn it well before upgrading. In this price range you can get something that you can use for a few years and not miss too many targets.

D

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I need to explain myself a little better.

First, I'm removing completely the beach from my places to look for coins, I do not know If I need a waterproof MD, since I'm just going to use it in small streams where the water is very shallow, a waterproof coil should do.
Second, I'm not going to spend more than $500 (maybe $550 including the pointer but that is it.) So, I'm definitely not getting the NOX 600 right now.
Third, what do you guys think about the AT PRO, X-TERRA 705, TEKNETICS T2 CLASSIC, White's TREASUREpro, and FISHER F4, which one will you get based on my needs, previously explained?
Finally, anyways after my first MD (still do not know which one) I will save money to eventually get the NOX 800.

I have the AT PRO and the X-Terra 705. I will pick the AT PRO over the X-Terra 705 in some parks because of the can slaw. Both of them separate good in trashy iron. The X-Terra 705 detects deeper than the AT PRO.

I agree with above. for that price range and what you listed look into at pro.

Fisher F-44 you can get it wet but not waterproof,you can't dunk it under water and you will have money left for a pin-pointer.

If you're going to be using your machine around water a lot (even shallow water) then you should just go ahead and get a waterproof model. It's going to be difficult to dig targets in a river while trying to keep you're machine from getting wet.

:fmdfwelcome:... from the Land of 10,000 Lakes - Minnesota! :grin: We're glad that you have joined us. Happy hunting! :mder:

For the price range you quoted, I would look for a good used ATPro. You may have enough left over to get a decent pinpointer.

X2 That is what I would recommend as well. :mder:

Talk to Jeff at Quality Metal Detectors(a sponsor here.) He said Garrett is starting a deal with a free pinpointer today. Might be able to swing the AT Pro with a free pinpointer.

salt water and the at pro not good just to let you know. Youd need something for the salt water and iron ore black sand so your not going to get false weird beeps etc. IDK just ask a dealer or find a good pulse machine which will work anywhere basically.

Talk to Jeff at Quality Metal Detectors(a sponsor here.) He said Garrett is starting a deal with a free pinpointer today. Might be able to swing the AT Pro with a free pinpointer.

A lot of dealers have had the pin pointer and more in packages for a long time.

Dollar for dollar the Makro Racer 2 is about the best bang for the buck. If you call a dealer you may be able to get one for less the the MAP of 424.00.

You have the ability to save settings, a large screen that is easy to read, it is easy to set up and change settings with, it is very well made and it goes deep. To me it is the best thing there is for the money on a brand new unit under 450.00 period.

Back
Top Bottom