Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 06-09-2019, 02:50 PM

Default Cheap metal detector

Anybody ever try the el cheap from China that cost like $36 shipped on EBay. For that price, I had to try it. It does detect metal, just have not had a chance to run it yet.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:54 PM

Probably.. but the toxic chemicals in the handle will make your hand rot off.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:16 PM

I suppose I could wear gloves.....

Old 06-13-2019, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by K&T View post
Probably.. but the toxic chemicals in the handle will make your hand rot off.
you should get a job for CNN -

http://www.earthscan.co.nz/detector-information

Old 06-13-2019, 09:30 AM

No..seriously. I bought a pair of garden gloves that were made in China and they started making my hands itch and I threw them away. Hands are still itching and its been weeks ago.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:07 AM
Supporter

For the amount of time I get to detect (very little) with my too busy lifestyle, I feel like having a decent machine (Compadre on up) isnít too much of a financial stretch to not feel like Iím risking wasting my time and not getting full enjoyment out of this hobby.

I donít see a single thing wrong (aside from potential intellectual property theft) with the idea if you have the time and interest however, for me, thatís why I wonít be doing that anytime soon.

EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2019 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $108.75 ($943.96), Silver coins: 16 (22), Wheats: 49 (96), Gold: 1 (25), Plat: 1 (1), .925 15 (74), Rings: 17 (205), Oldest Coins: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 06-13-2019, 11:38 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
..... I feel like having a decent machine (Compadre on up) isnít too much of a financial stretch to not feel like Iím risking wasting my time and not getting full enjoyment out of this hobby. ....
(
Agree 100% and even after 10-20 years you can usually recoup most of the purchase price back (all if bought used) by selling it.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:57 PM
Elite Member

The Teknetics Eurotek is a US made quality machine and a lot of detector for the money. Itís available direct from Teknetics and if you have a discount code itís $149 (your favorite dealer can give you one - or just use 1485) .

Old 06-23-2019, 03:36 AM
Elite Member

I agree the ETP is a killer detector for the price.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:07 PM
Elite Member

As you put more effort in to the hobby you start asking yourself if I'm going to invest my body, legs, back, shoulder etc in to all this work I want the better or best machine I can afford.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:10 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by lytle78 View post
The Teknetics Eurotek is a US made quality machine and a lot of detector for the money. Itís available direct from Teknetics and if you have a discount code itís $149 (your favorite dealer can give you one - or just use 1485) .
This. All the way.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:20 PM
Elite Member

If you buy cheap you may not get the full benefit of detecting. Also if all you are finding is very shallow fresh drops then you will not be getting the targets that make you smile. I started out with a high quality machine and once I learned the machine I love the hobby. Also you can sell a quality machine .
quicker and closer to cost than you will be able to do with one of those pieces of Chinese Z*&*&

Old 07-02-2019, 06:44 PM

it was not the gloves
it was what was inside them poison oak
china is know for that in cheap gloves
it is part of the trump deal with kim jung uen..

Old 07-02-2019, 08:33 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by georgeinsc View post
If you buy cheap you may not get the full benefit of detecting. Also if all you are finding is very shallow fresh drops then you will not be getting the targets that make you smile. I started out with a high quality machine and once I learned the machine I love the hobby. Also you can sell a quality machine .
quicker and closer to cost than you will be able to do with one of those pieces of Chinese Z*&*&
No doubt, this is spot on. If youíre looking to just find a ring quick and you know itís on top of the grass, then cheapo might work. IF youíre looking to get into the hobby for a HOBBY....do ALOT more reading about them. As with anything, having a great piece of equipment that is central to what youíre doing makes that ďanythingĒ a whole lot more pleasurable. Buy the best you can afford right now if youíre looking ďlong termĒ.