tonights hunt. Unbelievable find

gameoftag

Forum Supporter
I have had such good hunts this year, and tonight was another amazing hunt. Believe it or not, this was another sidewalk tear out. 4 more indians, a bunch more shell casings, and................ a dime. I'll let the pics tell the rest.

indians 9-23.jpgreal indians.jpg

seated dime dirty1.jpg
seated dime dirty2.jpg

I'll get these cleaned up, and post them in a bit. I'm so excited to see the dime cleaned up, I can barely stand it.

I really hope that it's just damaged and not counterfeit. What ID did you get on your machine? Great finds. I hope that seated is real. Those are amazing finds. Get those cleaned pics up now! :yes:

I really hope that it's just damaged and not counterfeit. Great finds. I hope that seated is real. Those are amazing finds. Get those cleaned pics up now! :yes:
Not damaged, it was just really dirty. Hadn't touched it with a drop of water yet when i took those. Not counterfeit. Just been stuck under a sidewalk on main street for many years, so it has a gray sulfide buildup.

What ID did you get on your machine?

I have a tracker 4, so there is no ID. All I knew was I had a coin. detector upgrade this spring.

Here is a little cleaner pic.

seated dime cleaner.jpg

I'm not sure how much more i want to do to it. I want that gray off, but DO NOT want to damage the coin. Any Tips??

Not damaged, it was just really dirty. Hadn't touched it with a drop of water yet when i took those. Not counterfeit. Just been stuck under a sidewalk on main street for many years, so it has a gray sulfide buildup.

I have a tracker 4, so there is no ID. All I knew was I had a coin. detector upgrade this spring.

Here is a little cleaner pic.

View attachment 115638

I'm not sure how much more i want to do to it. I want that gray off, but DO NOT want to damage the coin. Any Tips??

Since it isn't worth THAT much ($25 give or take) I'd put some toothpaste to it. Keep in mind it'll leave tiny hairline scratches if you clean it with anything. I like the results of toothpaste though for heavily tarnished silver. NICE finds!

Very nice!!! I look for tearouts but never seem to find them. Great job, and way to capitalize on an opportunity!!

you could also try electrolysis to clean it without any scratches. I have used that and it works well on black silver, great finds! did indians clean up?

She's a beauty of a dime!

If you do decide to clean it, I would start with using boiling water and baking soda and tinfoil method. This pulls out much of the sulfides from the silver

After the sulfers are removed, use a paste of baking soda and water to rub it between your fingers, or scrub with a toothbrush, as a very gentle cleaner.

You may have to repeat the above proceedures a couple times depending on how deep the tarnish is.

WOW and WOW, awesome finds! Can we see the bottle cleaned up! Those are just some fantastic finds, you are just on a super streak with those sidewalks. Congrats on the seated and the IH. As Jason said try the tinfoil method for sure, that I sent you. That dime and your Barber quarter are perfect candidates for that method. The key is to be patient and go very slow and the gray sulfide will dissolve and come off. Again CONGRATS!

you could also try electrolysis to clean it without any scratches. I have used that and it works well on black silver, great finds! did indians clean up?

A couple of the Indians are pretty bad, but i got dates on a couple. (1866 and 1882) I'm trying a method on the dime that Milco showed me, and it is working. The best part, no scrubbing so no scratches. I'll post pics when it's done. It's a slow process.

WOW and WOW, awesome finds! Can we see the bottle cleaned up! Those are just some fantastic finds, you are just on a super streak with those sidewalks. Congrats on the seated and the IH. As Jason said try the tinfoil method for sure, that I sent you. That dime and your Barber quarter are perfect candidates for that method. The key is to be patient and go very slow and the gray sulfide will dissolve and come off. Again CONGRATS!

Bottle will be posted later today, when i get a couple minutes to do so.

J. H. Lockwood

1860 US Census - Fond du Lac City 2nd Ward - page 40

J H Lockwood - Grocer
Susan

2011-09-24_123039.jpg

1870 US Census - Fond du Lac City 2nd Ward - page 46

J S Lockwood - Restaurant
Susan

2011-09-24_124406.jpg

1860 US Census - Fond du Lac City 2nd Ward - page 40

J H Lockwood - Grocer
Susan

View attachment 115674

1870 US Census - Fond du Lac City 2nd Ward - page 46

J S Lockwood - Restaurant
Susan

View attachment 115675

Where do you get this stuff. :) Here is the bottle a little more clean. Still needs some work, but at least you guys can see it. Wish the top was still in tack. Would love to see a blob top on that.

Attachments

• bottle 1.jpg
    bottle 1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2,497
  • bottle 2.jpg
    bottle 2.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 2,519
Too bad that bottle is not intact, still a cool find! Did it come out of that trench where that little trencher was parked? I bet a bunch of that dirt they spread around came from out of and around that trench.

Back
Top Bottom