What did the CTX 3030 miss?

spenglure

Elite Member
Hey guys, hit a small park that has been hit hard and thoroughly grided many hunts by a CTX 3030. Hunted about 2.5 hours. I was swinging my T2 right next to some of their holes and picked up some great finds. Both the silver quarter and silver dime were two feet from plugs dug previously by the 3030 hunter. Ended up with three silvers (one was a war nickel), a buff, wheat penny and a tiny gold plated pin. I think the 3030 is a great detector. I am not knocking it but moral of the story - never give up on a area because someone says a Minelab has gone through "many, many" times... cause everyone misses stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_7830.jpg
    IMG_7830.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_7754.jpg
    IMG_7754.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_7756.jpg
    IMG_7756.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_7766.jpg
    IMG_7766.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_7755.jpg
    IMG_7755.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 429
Check out the buffalo nickel on edge! T2 locked onto it perfectly. Also found a gold plated Sunday school pin.

Attachments

• IMG_7733.jpg
    IMG_7733.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_7748.jpg
    IMG_7748.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 496
T2 classic is a beast.Found probably the deepest coins I ever dug with one,,and that's after I took the etrac through there..
Congrats on some great finds,no place is hunted out and no machines obsolete.

Nice finds! I don't think many spots are ever truly hunted out regardless of the type of detector used. Way too many variables that determine whether or not a target is detected. For example, angle of approach: A target can be masked in certain directions and just a couple of degrees can make a huge difference. Even grid searching an area doesn't come close to covering 360 degrees. Other variables are ground moisture, incorrect settings, EMI, and targets shifting in the ground just to name a few.

You can probably go back to that spot on any given day and find more targets that even you missed the first time around. I do it all the time.

Some times is about changing ground conditions or EMI, or frost heave or who knows what else.

I have a site that gave up a LOT of old silver and indians. My partner and I hunted it until we couldnt find anything else. I went back a year later trying it again and still couldnt find diddly-squat. Just happened to be nearby for work the next year so I went there to kill some time and began digging silver after silver after silver. Same site that we hunted dozens of times (with CTX, DEUS, AT-PRO, E-Trac) and then one day its just starts spitting coins again.

Some times is about changing ground conditions or EMI, or frost heave or who knows what else.

I have a site that gave up a LOT of old silver and indians. My partner and I hunted it until we couldnt find anything else. I went back a year later trying it again and still couldnt find diddly-squat. Just happened to be nearby for work the next year so I went there to kill some time and began digging silver after silver after silver. Same site that we hunted dozens of times (with CTX, DEUS, AT-PRO, E-Trac) and then one day its just starts spitting coins again.

Makes sense. I have a spot like that too but it’s not silver after silver. But I can say good stuff mixed with silver. Ground conditions are key.

Nice finds! I don't think many spots are ever truly hunted out regardless of the type of detector used. Way too many variables that determine whether or not a target is detected. For example, angle of approach: A target can be masked in certain directions and just a couple of degrees can make a huge difference. Even grid searching an area doesn't come close to covering 360 degrees. Other variables are ground moisture, incorrect settings, EMI, and targets shifting in the ground just to name a few.

You can probably go back to that spot on any given day and find more targets that even you missed the first time around. I do it all the time.

Thanks I agree.

T2 classic is a beast.Found probably the deepest coins I ever dug with one,,and that's after I took the etrac through there..
Congrats on some great finds,no place is hunted out and no machines obsolete.

I love my T2. For the price it seems to really rock. Found tons of good things with it the last two seasons!

Hey guys, hit a small park that has been hit hard and thoroughly grided many hunts by a CTX 3030. Hunted about 2.5 hours. I was swinging my T2 right next to some of their holes and picked up some great finds. Both the silver quarter and silver dime were two feet from plugs dug previously by the 3030 hunter. Ended up with three silvers (one was a war nickel), a buff, wheat penny and a tiny gold plated pin. I think the 3030 is a great detector. I am not knocking it but moral of the story - never give up on a area because someone says a Minelab has gone through "many, many" times... cause everyone misses stuff.

First, congratulations on a great hunt!! That is fantastic series of finds....

Second, I have to echo previous posters, it is about the ground....BUT what is almost as important is the type of hunter and other environmental conditions. No matter the type of machine, most can find the "goods", the operator is sometimes in question, time factors (is the hunter in a hurry, distracted), whether or not it had rained recently, how much moisture is in the soil, sand, etc.

After doing this hobby for over 10 years I have to say I have seen $150 machines "sniff out" silver in places that have been hit by machines 10 times as much. You have to really understand your machine more than the type of machine it is.

OH and LADY LUCK plays a BIG hand in it too :D:D

Slight rant over......

First, congratulations on a great hunt!! That is fantastic series of finds....

Second, I have to echo previous posters, it is about the ground....BUT what is almost as important is the type of hunter and other environmental conditions. No matter the type of machine, most can find the "goods", the operator is sometimes in question, time factors (is the hunter in a hurry, distracted), whether or not it had rained recently, how much moisture is in the soil, sand, etc.

After doing this hobby for over 10 years I have to say I have seen $150 machines "sniff out" silver in places that have been hit by machines 10 times as much. You have to really understand your machine more than the type of machine it is.

OH and LADY LUCK plays a BIG hand in it too :D:D

Slight rant over......

All makes sense. Great post. I am just happy to know my machine can produce well after the ultra expensive stuff rolls through!

Now this is a good report! Two feet from the other guys plug, and he was using "X" machine. Silver GW's aren't really known for hiding from 3030's. :laughing: You are doing well with the T2. Nice finds!

Now this is a good report! Two feet from the other guys plug, and he was using "X" machine. Silver GW's aren't really known for hiding from 3030's. :laughing: You are doing well with the T2. Nice finds!

Thanks. I literally went to this place thinking I would get the skunk. Pleasantly surprised by the finds!!

Nice finds, Congratulations. As primarily a coin shooter anytime I find silver it is a GREAT HUNT. The T2 IS A BEAST. I have used them and seen them in action . Very under rated machine in my opinion.
Point to consider: The title of this post is "What did the CTX 3030 miss?". I think better said is "What did the operator of the CTX 3030 miss" ? As a user of the 3030 and many hours of experience with it there is NO DOUBT in my mind, if you get the coil over a coin, IT WILL TELL YOU. I have found coins, (deep coins) in the same plug as nails, tin, foil, etc with the 3030. That being said MANY machines will tell you when you are over a coin IF you get the coil over it. Consider your out hunting with your buddies, you find a coin, lets say a silver coin. The first thing you want to do is walk over to your buddies and show off your newly found "treasure". So, you go back to your machine, tools, fill the plug, etc... stand up and take off in a different direction, or you get off your grid or whatever. My point is if your coil swing misses a target by a fraction of an inch, YOU missed it, not the machine. I am not sure everybody understands this but lets say you are using a 17" coil. That doesn't mean you can swing at 17" intervals. You HAVE TO get enough of the coil over a target for the machine to tell you there is a target there. I personally try and over lap at least half my coil size on every swing.There are many reasons targets are missed as others have stated.
That all being said, I have went back to almost EVERY site I have hunted and found targets I had missed on my previous visit. It wasn't because of my machine, it was ME as an operator.

I am not trying to be disrespectful to you or anybody else but the analogy YOUR T2 found something the 3030 (or any other machine missed), is in my opinion, invalid, for many reasons. Just food for thought and sorry for the rant.

Nice finds, Congratulations. As primarily a coin shooter anytime I find silver it is a GREAT HUNT. The T2 IS A BEAST. I have used them and seen them in action . Very under rated machine in my opinion.
Point to consider: The title of this post is "What did the CTX 3030 miss?". I think better said is "What did the operator of the CTX 3030 miss" ? As a user of the 3030 and many hours of experience with it there is NO DOUBT in my mind, if you get the coil over a coin, IT WILL TELL YOU. I have found coins, (deep coins) in the same plug as nails, tin, foil, etc with the 3030. That being said MANY machines will tell you when you are over a coin IF you get the coil over it. Consider your out hunting with your buddies, you find a coin, lets say a silver coin. The first thing you want to do is walk over to your buddies and show off your newly found "treasure". So, you go back to your machine, tools, fill the plug, etc... stand up and take off in a different direction, or you get off your grid or whatever. My point is if your coil swing misses a target by a fraction of an inch, YOU missed it, not the machine. I am not sure everybody understands this but lets say you are using a 17" coil. That doesn't mean you can swing at 17" intervals. You HAVE TO get enough of the coil over a target for the machine to tell you there is a target there. I personally try and over lap at least half my coil size on every swing.There are many reasons targets are missed as others have stated.
That all being said, I have went back to almost EVERY site I have hunted and found targets I had missed on my previous visit. It wasn't because of my machine, it was ME as an operator.

I am not trying to be disrespectful to you or anybody else but the analogy YOUR T2 found something the 3030 (or any other machine missed), is in my opinion, invalid, for many reasons. Just food for thought and sorry for the rant.
Well said! I've gone back to spots with the same detector and found stuff that I missed.

Well said! I've gone back to spots with the same detector and found stuff that I missed.

No that makes total sense. The 3030 user may have missed them. Perhaps that’s more what I meant. I’ve also went back to the same spots over and over again. I know a lot of it has to do with conditions, etc. But this guy also has a lot of experience with the machine, and I found these targets in his small grid zones (three of them) were right in between five of his plugs a long a narrow strip they worked many, many times. Some of the items we’re slam dunk easy signals like the quarter. Just saying.

Local park that has been detected by a variety of machines over the years. First time I completely covered it I found a respectable amount of clad and one silver Washington.

Subsequent visits have yielded 4 more silver coins. I had trouble believing that I had missed four silver coins.

Property next door gave up a number of wheat pennies the first time I covered it completely. No silver. But subsequent visits have produced 9 silver coins.

I thought that I was covering everything carefully but obviously I did not.

Back
Top Bottom