I Think I Set A New Personal Record

beephead

Elite Member
19 wheat pennies without finding a single silver coin. I did some serious digging today and I went back over the site several times using the CTX and Deus. There was no shade and it was hot, but I just knew finding that many wheat pennies I needed to keep digging because sooner or later I was going to get my search coil over some silver. NOPE!

I started the day off detecting at a site where I had previously found numerous silver coins. Right off I found some type of meter cover and showed it to the old man sitting on the porch. He asked if I wanted him to take inside and wash it off for me, so we could read what's on it.

While he was inside the house I noticed a lady across the street was taking her dog for a walk before she left for work. Her car was parked on the street so I worked my way down towards the street with my detector. As she was heading for her car, I said good morning and asked her if it would be alright if I detected her yard. I guess she has seen me detecting other yards up and down the street, because didn't hesitate when said it would be alright.

Even though I didn't find any silver I did manage to find a Buffalo nickel, 19 wheat pennies, a transit token, a dollar coin, a car token and bunch of clad. I'll be resting up before I head back out into the heat again. Plus we need some rain to soften the ground. Lucky for me today most of the coins were really shallow. Some of the wheat pennies were only an inch or two deep.

PS: This would have been the perfect day for me to use the HF search coil on my Deus, but I left it at home. The AC window unit at the site was causing severe EMI problems for both the Deus and CTX. I bet that the 28kHz would have been super smooth. I'm going hit that site again to see how it fairs.

beephead

Attachments

• IMG_2225.jpg
    IMG_2225.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_2226.jpg
    IMG_2226.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_2227.jpg
    IMG_2227.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_2228.jpg
    IMG_2228.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 436
Looks like some good hunting spots you have found. With finding the wheat's and buffalo I think you are right about there should be some similar dated silver around. Once it rains good and you go back I bet that some of those silvers will sound out better with the better conductivity due to the moisture.
Congratulations on a Great hunt !! One to be proud of.

Last edited:
I found a silver coin today... '52 Rosie-- but that Pontiac coin and the streetcar token are both FAR cooler! I'd say you had a good day!

So weird not seeing a silver on your bucket. I've grown accustomed to seeing silver on every hunt. :laughing:

Still killer hunt with lots of cool finds. :D

Looks like some good hunting spots you have found. With finding the wheat's and buffalo I think you are right about there should be some similar dated silver around. Once it rains good and you go back I bet that some of those silvers will sound out better with the better conductivity due to the moisture.
Congratulations on a Great hunt !! One to be proud of.
Thanks! I'll be hitting it again, but after some rain. I'll be using the Deus HF search coil in 28kHz to battle the EMI from the air conditioner window unit.

Even without the silver that's still an excellent hunt, Love the tokens, Congrats!
Thanks! Oh, I had a great time, but I just find it unusual that I found that many wheat pennies and not find a single silver coin. Front yards on that street have loaded me up with some really nice silver coins. The 1920's homes have given up several SLQ and Walkers plus a lot of buffalo nickels and Mercury dimes.

Nice finds! I would take a Buff over a silver!
Thanks! Me too!

Great Hunt !!! That's a bunch of diggin. Congrats on all your finds and the Wheat Penny record.
Thanks! That's not the most wheat pennies that I've found on one hunt, but I believe it's the most that I've ever found without finding any silver.

Great hunt with good finds even without a silver. Congrats
Thanks! I'm going back!

The buff seems to have a mintmark even, Nice hunting beep!
Thanks! I'm wore out today, so I'll be resting for a day or two before I head back out.

I found a silver coin today... '52 Rosie-- but that Pontiac coin and the streetcar token are both FAR cooler! I'd say you had a good day!
Thanks! I like finding those streetcar tokens. Someone said that the Pontiac token was from the fifties. I need to read up on that. The GTO was a standout muscle car in the sixties.

Still a great hunt, that Pontiac token is really cool. HH Mark
Thanks! I'm getting ready to do some research on it.

Nobody noticed the small piece of gold chain laying on the meter cover.

beephead

Still nice finds Beep! I've had those streaks, once I think about 25 Wheaties over the course of a few days with no silver. Made up for the next day with only 2 Wheaties and 3 nice silvers. The tide will change soon, knowing how well you detect!

When you get a yard with 45 wheats and zero silver get back to me, :laughing::laughing::laughing:

That Pontiac token is nice!

Nice finds beep and that is a LOT of digging!

I was surprised how crusty the Susan B Anthony dollar was! Is that typical for the coin?

Still nice finds Beep! I've had those streaks, once I think about 25 Wheaties over the course of a few days with no silver. Made up for the next day with only 2 Wheaties and 3 nice silvers. The tide will change soon, knowing how well you detect!
Thanks, I had good time! I think I'm going to hit that yard again tomorrow. I just find it hard to believe that there's not at least silver coin there.

When you get a yard with 45 wheats and zero silver get back to me, :laughing::laughing::laughing:

That Pontiac token is nice!
Thanks! I'm not giving up on that yard yet! lol I've got a battle plan. My rest period is over, I'm ready to get back at it.

Nice finds, thanks for sharing.
Thanks! You're welcome.

Nice finds beep and that is a LOT of digging!

I was surprised how crusty the Susan B Anthony dollar was! Is that typical for the coin?
Thanks! I dug more than I wanted to, because I was after at least one silver coin. Our non-silver coins don't fair well in our soil for some reason. Sometimes I'll find a wheat penny or a Indian Head penny that's in decent shape.

That's a water meter cover. Congrats on all the finds!
Thanks! I checked on eBay and found that people collect them. lol

That's just a crazy big pile of targets đź‘€.

Very impressive post!
,Dew
Thanks! I'm going to have to start pacing myself better since hot weather has gotten here or I'll burn myself out.

beephead

Back
Top Bottom