70+ years older than anything I've found! (Only 1899)

Logo1924

To start, before this my earliest find was only from like 1970. I went to a local park where an old building was torn down a few years ago. I found this within my first hour, but found nothing the rest of the day. My one good find from my hometown before I move away. I am sad that it's in such bad shape.. I think it's a liberty head nickel.
a19caf35bddf1a1440a487d68821eaf8.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Forgot the back side which is in even worse condition. Could I clean it up any or is it too risky?
e8fd8a4fd3a82bb8c9346d7b182abb8d.jpg

Good find, and I have found them way worse than that.
I found 2 that were so worn you could hardly fell what they were and others so dirty it took a huge amount of scrubbing to identify them and even after cleaning they looked way worse than yours.
Appreciate what you find, some day you will find others and realize how great this one is.

VERY nice find. Congratulations

ETA: I've read that an ammonia soak or even Worcestershire sauce (then rinse of course) works wonders....HOWEVER: I've never tried either myself. Your coin isn't extremely valuable depending on the mint mark (dollar wise that is....to you it's VERY valuable)...so try at your own risk

Congradulations on the sweet V ! A bucket lister and your in the 1800's đź‘Ť
It looks great also. It's been in the ground 100 years.
Well done .
,Dew

VERY nice find. Congratulations

ETA: I've read that an ammonia soak or even Worcestershire sauce (then rinse of course) works wonders....HOWEVER: I've never tried either myself. Your coin isn't extremely valuable depending on the mint mark (dollar wise that is....to you it's VERY valuable)...so try at your own risk

You are definitely right, this is my treasure despite it being worth almost nothing. I will definitely look into those cleaning methods, thank you!

Congradulations on the sweet V ! A bucket lister and your in the 1800's [emoji106]
It looks great also. It's been in the ground 100 years.
Well done .
,Dew

Thank you! Feels great to find something in the 1800s even if it's 1899. I thought it was in bad condition but I guess it's not so bad considering it has been in the ground since even before my grandfather was born..

Personally I don't sell coins so I would clean the Carp out of that

I'm glad you guys are siding with me, I really wanted to clean it lol. Let's hope I don't ruin it, I'll try to do my research!

Congrats on your find! That V nickel is in much better shape than the only one I've ever found.

Logo I have found older coins but that coin a "V" Nickle has avoided getting under my coil for my complete career. Yours is in great shape compare to the many I have seen posted. You are truly blessed and now have my envy. Trapper

Congrats on your find! That V nickel is in much better shape than the only one I've ever found.
Thanks! They must be somewhat rare to find then? I am grateful to find it after only a week or 2 of starting the hobby

Logo I have found older coins but that coin a "V" Nickle has avoided getting under my coil for my complete career. Yours is in great shape compare to the many I have seen posted. You are truly blessed and now have my envy. Trapper
I certainly do feel blessed! I would say it was a bucket lister but I've never heard of one of these coins before lol.

That's actually not too bad for a dug V nickel. My first and only V is worn pretty smooth, but looks great! Congrats on the elusive nickel, and keep at it. Maybe try some other settings/programs. There's probably more old coins around there. GL & HH!

That is really cool, you broke into the 1800s. I have never found one of those.Congrats!

Thank you! Broke into the 1800s by 1 year haha I'll take it!

That's actually not too bad for a dug V nickel. My first and only V is worn pretty smooth, but looks great! Congrats on the elusive nickel, and keep at it. Maybe try some other settings/programs. There's probably more old coins around there. GL & HH!
Thanks! I wish my ACE 200 had more settings than just 4 sensitivities and 2 discriminations. Also I probably won't be able to go back since I'm busy moving in less than a month.

I tried gently cleaning a key date nickel and took the date right off. To add insult to injury, it still doesn't look any better.

Very cool find. The first one of those i found you can hardly see anything unless it is wet - an 1890. Recently found another not quite as old in much better shape. Yours is actually pretty good. Funny thing is my goal was to dig a Buffalo and found two Vs but no Buffs. Finally dug a Buff today!

Last edited:
I tried gently cleaning a key date nickel and took the date right off. To add insult to injury, it still doesn't look any better.

That's not reassuring! I already started soaking in Worcestershire sauce. I can tell it's looking shinier but I sure hope I don't end up making it worse..
Very cool find. The first one of those i found you can hardly see anything unless it is set - an 1890. Recently found another not quite as old in much better shape. Yours is actually pretty good. Funny thing is my goal was to dig a Buffalo and found two Vs but no Buffs. Finally dug a Buff today!
Thank you and congrats on your find!

Back
Top Bottom