1916d mercury dime!!!

vargg

Not a metal detecting find but eye popping none the less.just happened to be showing a friend of mine some coins I bought at a pawn shop. Was looking at them closer and noticed the date 1916, letting my imagination get the best of me started to visualize a mint Mark on the reverse flip it over. Shocked to see a "D". Or at least I hope it's a d. Sure looks like the real deal . What do you guys think???

Attachments

• 20151024_223004.jpg
    20151024_223004.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,430
  • 20151024_223017.jpg
    20151024_223017.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,421
I don't know for sure, but it just sounds just too good to be true ..
I mean what Pawn shop doesn't know to look up coins they've bought ?
Plus it's one of the most counterfeited coins ever ..

I wish you luck and hope your dream turns out to be real ..

Great find - definitely worth getting authenticated (slabbed). Like Bigpoppa said there are many altered/counterfeit ones out there. Good luck with it.

Need much better/clearer images to tell. It looks too blobby to be authentic from what you posted, but again your image is blurry so can't rule it out yet.

Send it to PCGS. there's more fakes than real ones, especially raw. Easy way to tell is to take better pics of the MM so we can compare. I hope it's real though. That would be a $500+ score (possibly more depending on overall grade. I think $950 is a stretch)

Can you post a full shot of obv/reverse with a close up (clear) of the MM.

thanx for all the nice replys. under closer examination turns out its an s. weird though the upper half of the s must have been a weak strike because it is toned black and not shiny. must be lower in the strike. really hard to see but s for sure. ahh !@#$% easy come easy go

My dirtfishing buddy dug a '16 D here in lower Michigan a couple years ago.

He also dug a '16 S similar to yours, and fetched $22 for it on ePay.

You bought it at a pawn shop, or bought with other coins?
how much did you pay?

Nice save! I hope to get so lucky.

Back
Top Bottom