Rev. War era grape shot

kbmacgeek

I honestly didn't think I'd ever top my find from last fall (a coin spill which can be viewed here: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=201667 ), but 4 days ago I was hunting in the yard and pulled out what looked like a grape shot upon first glance.

My house isn't even that old (built in 1946/47), and no actual battles took place on the land that I know of. Some of the feedback I received about it was that it looked like an old bearing of some sort. My gut was telling me that it wasn't a bearing, so I went down to the local museum and had them look the item over and they said they were leaning towards it being a grape shot, but, they asked if I could come back on Sunday (yesterday) when a noted historian, author, and Civil War expert was going to be there giving a talk.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the historian expert looked at it and said that it was not Civil War era. He paused, and then said it was much older than Civ. He said he's only ever found one other like this in Vermont before, and said he is 100% confident that it is a Revolutionary War era grape shot.

The look on his face was priceless when I told him I found it in my yard, about 7" down.

Attachments

• IMG_1762.jpg
    IMG_1762.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_1761.jpg
    IMG_1761.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 657
  • IMG_1764.jpg
    IMG_1764.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 660
wow! Thats awesome! I absolutely love grapeshot and would kill to find some. congrats.

I know I often come off as a naysayer, but what reason did this civil war historian give for saying your rusty iron ball, found in a residential yard, is revolutionary era grape shot?

It certainly could be, and I'm certainly no expert, but there seem to be more likely explanations. Especially when you said there were no battles reported there.

Back
Top Bottom