After 4 years i got my Killer B's working again!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Man I am lazy.
On 2/27/11 I went for a hunt with my Vaq and the thing kept cutting out.
I was concerned, it wasn't even a year old at that point.
I came to find out that it was my Killer B's that had the problem, not the Vaq.
I have that warranty but I just didn't have time to send them back right then and I just got a decent cheap pair to use and put the repair process on the back burner.
I really never got around to sending them in, plus hunting in the summer Ala. heat the phones I was using were comfortable so I just forgot about it.
I seemed to find some great things with the Vaq, my F2, my Compadre and for the last year my F70 using low end phones, but every once in awhile I wondered what those better phones could do in the rare cases I came across a site with old and deep targets which doesn't happen often but could in my much better Kansas soil.
A few months ago I even contacted Skiwhiz and asked about him doing the repair because he is a great guy and I would not mind throwing him a few bucks to professionally do the fix even though I do have that lifetime warranty.
I didn't think the repair was all that big of a deal, probably a cord problem, not something technical with the headset itself.
Well I didn't do that immediately either.
Like I said...I am really lazy.
I would probaly be elected the president of the local chapter of procrastinators anonymous club...if we could ever get enough people together for an actual meeting.

So two days ago I was cleaning out some stuff in an extra bedroom and came across my B's.
What the heck, I am pretty handy and I just got it in me to see if I could easily and quickly find the problem and fix it.
Guess what, I did.
There were two broken wires down close to the Jack...a little cutting, a little splicing, a bunch of carefully wrapped electrical tape and they are back in action like they were brand new.
One day I will get a new jack and use some solder and shrink tubing and make it all look more professional but yesterday I took them out on a hunt with the F70 and I am one happy camper.
I don't want to start a big drama thing here about the advantage of top quality phones vs, cheaper stuff, there have been plenty of opinions and threads about that posted here over the years already.
I have always had the opinion that there is a difference and if you can afford it going with top quality equipment can never hurt.
As I said, I seem to have done pretty well without them, but most of the time I hunt for shallow stuff and not the deep stuff and got pretty good at differentiating signals no matter what phones I used.
However, on yesterday's hunt I realized something else.
It is not only the top notch sound, tones and frequency response that I get, but it is also the quiet setting that might give me an advantage in future hunts since these things do such a great job of blocking out most of if not all the ambient sound around me.
I knew this before but I just forgot about it, yesterday's hunt brought it back.
One thing I noticed was that with my sense pretty high past 90 and my disc set low when swinging over iron, the kind that throws off false high tones but doesn't always drop into iron so I could hear the iron grunt, not only can I tell this is iron because of the jumpy numbers and behavior but past 90 sense on the top end Fishers the manual says you could get some extra circuit hum.
I have heard it before using other phones from time to time, but in these cases just as I got that kind of signal I heard that fleeting hum almost every time.
Didn't ever hear this hum on good signals like coins so this little discovery could save me a bit of time in future hunts and spending less time messing with bad targets might give me could give me more time digging a few better target signals...even a few more signals dug could produce some nice surprises.
As far as I am concerned this is a volume business...he who digs the most targets ends up with the most prizes.
Utilizing methods to up your percentages of digging better targets over bad ones can only increase your odds if just by a little.

So anywhoo, hunting with the F70 just got different and hopefully even better, and I gotta go out hunting with the Vaq again and also listen to my Compadre tones sometime in the near future.
Maybe even get the F2 out of mothballs just to give a listen.

The F70, great phones again, choose a couple of good sites...look out world, nothing can stop me now!

Totally agree with spending a little more $$ on good headphones. Good headphones aren't cheap and cheap headphones aren't good. Good story.:grin:

Sounds like a happy ending. I need to upgrade my headphones, just have a cheapo set that drive me crazy sliding off my head. Now I wonder how many things I'm missing...

"One day I will get a new jack and some heat shrink tubing..."
Procrastinating again? :laughing::laughing:
It just wont ever stop, will it?

Good to know but also leads me to believe that I must be missing a lot, I hope not but probably so. Reason being is, my headphone jack doesn't seem to work and really have no good headphones to start with. My health issues has wiped me out financially so one could say that I am detecting on a shoestring budget nowadays. Hopefully soon, very soon I'll be able to upgrade which will include a good set of headphones.

Good to know but also leads me to believe that I must be missing a lot, I hope not but probably so. Reason being is, my headphone jack doesn't seem to work and really have no good headphones to start with. My health issues has wiped me out financially so one could say that I am detecting on a shoestring budget nowadays. Hopefully soon, very soon I'll be able to upgrade which will include a good set of headphones.

Probably not a lot but a few.
I listen so close to tiny differences in signals and tones using no headphones at all would not work for me.
There are a few great targets I have dug, gold targets surrounded by trash for instance, that I only dug because I heard something quick and fleeting in the multiple and sometimes jumpy tones that triggered my digging instinct.
This was using cheaper phones.
I don't believe I would have heard the same thing out of the speaker to trigger me to do that.
There have been posts by other's in those headphones vs. no headphones discussions that have said they can hear everything out of the speaker just as well as if they used phones.
I don't believe that at all.
That is like saying a Yugo drives just as good as a Caddy...using only the experience of driving the Yugo to form that opinion.
These top quality phones might not be an advantage on every target but I have to believe on a few they might, the deeper whisper types maybe rare as they are for me to come across the way I hunt.
With such a quiet background the better tone qualities of those good targets surrounded by trash type of signals seem even easier to hear, also.
I just can't stand hunting without headphones of some kind, even ear buds are better than nothing, I don't enjoy hunting at all without them.

Probably not a lot but a few.
I listen so close to tiny differences in signals and tones using no headphones at all would not work for me.
There are a few great targets I have dug, gold targets surrounded by trash for instance, that I only dug because I heard something quick and fleeting in the multiple and sometimes jumpy tones that triggered my digging instinct.
This was using cheaper phones.
I don't believe I would have heard the same thing out of the speaker to trigger me to do that.
These top quality phones might not be an advantage on every target but I have to believe on a few they might, the deeper whisper types maybe rare as they are for me to come across the way I hunt.
With such a quiet background the better tone qualities of those good targets surrounded by trash type of signals seem even easier to hear, also.
I just can't stand hunting without headphones of some kind, I don't enjoy hunting at all without them.

Okay, well good to know that I am not missing a lot but as you said will never hear those faint and/or quick and fleeting tones. Back when I hunted a few years ago with my Ace 250 I did have headphones and enjoyed using them as I was able to concentrate more without all the background noise. I hope to get another machine soon (wanting a land/water detector) which will include a good set of headphones. Thanks again for sharing yet anther tip. I appreciate the help.

Totally agree with spending a little more $$ on good headphones. Good headphones aren't cheap and cheap headphones aren't good. Good story.:grin:

I can get decent sounding headphones for $25.00. Killer B's that I've found start around $80. Insane for just listening to a few beeps and grunts and not just "a little more $$".

Glad you got the "B's" fixed !!! I love my Killer B's and have two pair one for the MXT and one for the M6. The sound is just so much better than lower quality phones and like you said the outside noise blocking ability is great. I have used other good phones but the B's are my favorite.
Pesc

Never. :D
By the time I do the permanent fix there will probably be some new star treky method better than shrink tubing.
Right now my "temporary" repair is working great and looks pretty good.

Here's your start treky method!!!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QU5M4MG/?tag=kinjadeals-20&ascsubtag=4ed164b2ac14a7ec31efbb653791ba0331b49a35&rawdata=%5Br%7Chttp%3A%2F%2Fdeals.kinja.com%2F%5Bt%7Clink%5Bp%7C1693552945%5Ba%7CB00QU5M4MG%5Bau%7C5727177402741770316
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTsfwL61CR8&feature=player_embedded

I can get decent sounding headphones for $25.00. Killer B's that I've found start around $80. Insane for just listening to a few beeps and grunts and not just "a little more $$".

Have you ever used a set of phones the quality of those B's?

There are way more to the tones we hear than beeps or grunts.
A ton of tiny little differences that I listen for especially when targets are or might be surrounded by trash.
I did well using decent and cheaper phones...using phones of this quality makes those differences even easier to pick up.
I have learned a ton and gotten way better at this game since the last time I used these things.
Hopefully they will help keep the volume of great targets I find high, the amount of trash I need to dig to find them low, and the enjoyment at or at even higher levels than before.
I have had about 5 hunts with them so far and I am falling in love with them all over again.

I see that in your sig, you list a Garrett AT Pro, F75, and an F2. You could have just bought a "decent" beep and grunt detector for a lot less $$ but you didn't. Being a bit of a hypocrite aren't you?:yes:

I see that in your sig, you list a Garrett AT Pro, F75, and an F2. You could have just bought a "decent" beep and grunt detector for a lot less $$ but you didn't. Being a bit of a hypocrite aren't you?:yes:

He is actually a great guy and I don't think he meant anything by that or was being all holier than thou, I just don't think he has experience hunting with phones exactly like these.
Next time we hunt together he can borrow mine for awhile if he wants.
The only issue with that is if he really likes them he is a beefy guy, younger than me and I might have trouble getting them back. :D
It would probably be a good fight, though, I am still pretty scrappy.

There are plenty of threads here, long ones, with camps on both side of the issue.
There are some that used top quality products but to them it was no big deal and never thought the money difference was worth it.
However there are many more that state in some of these threads and others started by new owners about how they thought exactly the same thing....till they tried on a pair and went hunting and changed their opinion.
All kinds of different people out there so to each his own, and not everyone has the cash to invest in accessories like these, either.
I always recommend new hunters use headphones of some kind and get the best they can afford not only to hear signals better but to extend battery life.
Top quality or low end or anything in between, and I have used all of these, any pair is better than no pair.
In my case I can't believe I waited so long to get these things back into the game considering how closely I listen to the tones and everything else going on around those tones especially in trashy sites that I love to hunt more often than not.
Numbers on a screen are nice to have, but for me it is and has always been more about the tones no matter what I am swinging.
This is probably because of my history starting out with a horrible detector that falsed on almost every swing and then my experience of learning and hunting with a Vaq for hundreds of hours when I was a newbie and then the Compadre, too.
Also the 1000 hours or so I spent with the F2 thought me there is way more to that thing than just 4 basic tones...there are slight differences in those tones, also.

Yesterday I found another feature these things have that I can see will really come in handy for me.
Not so much a feature with benefits in the normal sense, but I am going to use it that way.
On one cup there is a volume control and also a switch.
The switch is only designed to switch between the two settings so owners of most different brands on the market can use them.
I guess half of the brands would set it in one position, the other half the other position.
When mine is up my phone's are on, when I flip the switch down this effectively turns them off using both brands I own, the Tesoros and the Fishers.
This is no big deal when using my Tesoros because I rarely get any falsing with them.
Using my F70 this is a different matter.
I can set the thing to hunt quietly and that is pleasurable, but sometimes at a few sites with some extremely high EMI, or at times when I pretty much max out the settings as I am known to do from time to time in certain situations the extra noise I hear in disc or that threshold hum in all metal just drives me crazy when I find a target lay down my detector and bend over to dig a hole.
This happened yesterday and I just was going to turn down the volume using the knob but then I said to myself, "Hey...just hit the switch", so I did.
I could then recover the target in silence and this was a true pleasure.
This year I am going to take all I learned last year about the F70 and just hunt instead of constantly fiddling with all the settings and see what happens.
So far I am having a great year and it is just beginning.
With my F70 and these B's back on-line and hooked up I think I will not only find some great things but I will have a great time doing it...I hope.

Yesterday I found another feature these things have that I can see will really come in handy for me.
Not so much a feature with benefits in the normal sense, but I am going to use it that way.
The switch is only designed to switch between the two settings so owners of most different brands on the market can use them.
I guess half of the brands would set it in one position, the other half the other position.
When mine is up my phone's are on, when I flip the switch down this effectively turns them off using both brands I own, the Tesoros and the Fishers.
This is no big deal when using my Tesoros because I rarely get any falsing with them.
I can set the thing to hunt quietly and that is pleasurable, but sometimes at a few sites with some extremely high EMI, or at times when I pretty much max out the settings as I am known to do from time to time in certain situations the extra noise I hear in disc or that threshold hum in all metal just drives me crazy when I find a target lay down my detector and bend over to dig a hole.
This happened yesterday and I just was going to turn down the volume using the knob but then I said to myself, "Hey...just hit the switch", so I did.
This year I am going to take all I learned last year about the F70 and just hunt instead of constantly fiddling with all the settings and see what happens.
With my F70 and these B's back on-line and hooked up I think I will not only find some great things but I will have a great time doing it...I hope.

I use the compatability switch the same way on the MXT because I run it pretty hot most of the time and when I set it down to dig it likes to talk to me a bit. It's amazing how much better I can here the pinpointer when the detector is perfectly quiet.

He is actually a great guy and I don't think he meant anything by that or was being all holier than thou, I just don't think he has experience hunting with phones exactly like these.
Next time we hunt together he can borrow mine for awhile if he wants.
The only issue with that is if he really likes them he is a beefy guy, younger than me and I might have trouble getting them back. :D
It would probably be a good fight, though, I am still pretty scrappy.

There are plenty of threads here, long ones, with camps on both side of the issue.
There are some that used top quality products but to them it was no big deal and never thought the money difference was worth it.
However there are many more that state in some of these threads and others started by new owners about how they thought exactly the same thing....till they tried on a pair and went hunting and changed their opinion.
All kinds of different people out there so to each his own, and not everyone has the cash to invest in accessories like these, either.
I always recommend new hunters use headphones of some kind and get the best they can afford not only to hear signals better but to extend battery life.
Top quality or low end or anything in between, and I have used all of these, any pair is better than no pair.
In my case I can't believe I waited so long to get these things back into the game considering how closely I listen to the tones and everything else going on around those tones especially in trashy sites that I love to hunt more often than not.
Numbers on a screen are nice to have, but for me it is and has always been more about the tones no matter what I am swinging.
This is probably because of my history starting out with a horrible detector that falsed on almost every swing and then my experience of learning and hunting with a Vaq for hundreds of hours when I was a newbie and then the Compadre, too.
Also the 1000 hours or so I spent with the F2 thought me there is way more to that thing than just 4 basic tones...there are slight differences in those tones, also.

Beefy?

I prefer manly. :)

I have my limits. I believe in a good detector and a good digging tool and good pinpointer. I don't think I'm missing anything by not buying 80 dollar headphones. I think its one of those "you have to try it to know" things and I'm not at that point where I want to spend the money. Lets face it, this isn't classical opera, its beep, dig.. profit. My ears aren't all that so I think spending this kind of money on headphones would not be worth it for me.

:)

Thanks for reminding me. I need to remove the AT PRO from my sig. :)

If it makes you feel any better, I bought my GGUs from Chuck at Indian Nation Detectors for $63. They came in with a detector trade-in and were basically brand new. There are good deals to be had on headphones that won't set you back $80.;)

Good Job on the repair

According what detector you use, head phone can make or break it being a good day if the targets are deep or in a trashy area. At the beach, one gold ring find can pay for a good set of headphones and a few other goodies.

Back
Top Bottom