Inherited Detector keep or upgrade?

kushwa

I inherited an older Whites 4900DL max, it looks almost brand new. I'm keen on trying this as a new hobby. Should I mess with this detector or has 20-30 years of technology made this thing useless?

I inherited an older Whites 4900DL max, it looks almost brand new. I'm keen on trying this as a new hobby. Should I mess with this detector or has 20-30 years of technology made this thing useless?

Not a bad detector, definitely use it and have fun with it. If you decide this hobby is for you, then consider an upgrade, but the 4900Dl is no slouch and will find you a lot.

Oh, and one thing I would do is get a 950 (9.5in) coil for it. I always hated the 8in Blue Max coils that came stock on them.

Antique

I have one , the one that I started with in 1976, I am sorry to tell you that technology has come far, advanced to were if you purchase a new upper end detector , that one will stay in the closest , Earl

Attachments

• whites coinmaster.jpg
    whites coinmaster.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 437
Wait, is it like the one Surf posted? An old blue box model, or this...

Attachments

• 3390116811_b39c484b4c_b.jpg
    3390116811_b39c484b4c_b.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 423
CoiltoSoil it's like the one you have pictured

That's a good detector then, and while not new, it's a much newer design then the old blue box models. It should do well for you. I'd keep it and use it for awhile, it will find you a lot of stuff.

I agree, use what you got. Lots of people drop out of the hobby very quickly. You just got a decent detector for free so you're ahead in the game! If you are still into detecting after a year, then start looking for an upgrade.

I'd try to find a used blue max 950 coil for it, much better design, and easier to pinpoint with, it also offers more depth and coverage than the 800 on it now. I've seen them sell used for $50 or so.

Is there a certain size coil from the Blue max 950 to look for or did they only come in one size?

Is there a certain size coil from the Blue max 950 to look for or did they only come in one size?

Only one size, the 950 stands for 9.5 inches which is the diameter. It looks like a doughnut, with a hole in the middle. It was a much better coil and design than the BM800. I owned both. You should be able to find a used one for about $50-$70. The came standard on the XLT's and several other White's models in the 90's. They still make it, and I believe the new ones will work, but I'm not 100% sure so contact a dealer on here or White's first and double check. I believe they were 6.59khz?

Also

I here that Whites ( Top Secret) is coming out with 3 new machines, have no clue, but if I buy another machine, it will probably be another Whites , just like the last, a V3i, so I would wait, hunt with that for a while since Coil2soil oked that version, I was thinking it was closer to my 1st version :lol: Old history , but I did slay some good silver with that coinmaster, in the 70s & 80s, happy hunting , Earl

I here that Whites ( Top Secret) is coming out with 3 new machines, have no clue, but if I buy another machine, it will probably be another Whites , just like the last, a V3i, so I would wait, hunt with that for a while since Coil2soil oked that version, I was thinking it was closer to my 1st version :lol: Old history , but I did slay some good silver with that coinmaster, in the 70s & 80s, happy hunting , Earl

haha yeah, you had old 80's technology, the model he has is fairly recent electronics, just slightly heavy, that was the model made right before the slimmer SL models came out. It's not a bad detector, and should do pretty good. White's sold basically the same thing in the SL box until recently. Should do very well coin shooting, probably better than most entry detectors made today as far as depth, but it does lack VID. Any word on the new Whites model? Will it be a land or water unit, will it be high end or mid range? I hope it's a new V3i replacement, and not some mid level mode. The V3i is awesome, I just wish they would package it in a lighter setup, and make it water resistant, or waterproof. It would be hard to top the programming or display though. Another thing I'd like to see is the ability to download programs off my computer like the E-trac has.

C2s

NO, Have no clue, Whites sure has all the lip's sealed , must be something good, well hope it isn't a replacement for the V3i as I just got one the end of the season, I hope - it's like a Ctx3030 only cheaper money wise , and better, waterproof, lighter, less expensive, no cheep gaskets, light, longer lasting battery pack, better ID and target info, FE & Co #s would be nice also, the other 2 detectors coming out No clue.

NO, Have no clue, Whites sure has all the lip's sealed , must be something good, well hope it isn't a replacement for the V3i as I just got one the end of the season, I hope - it's like a Ctx3030 only cheaper money wise , and better, waterproof, lighter, less expensive, no cheep gaskets, light, longer lasting battery pack, better ID and target info, FE & Co #s would be nice also, the other 2 detectors coming out No clue.

I'd assume White's knows that they need a waterproof VID detector after seeing the success of the AT and the CTX. I'd also assume that they would build it off the V3i platform as far as the HD display, and programming, with some minor changes and maybe some waterproof wireless headphones with it? They really need to update their rod design, they are still using 30 year old technology.

Agree

Also the coil covers, the Surf Pi Df, and the V31 D2 10, way to hard to pry off, I also would like Fe and Co numbers on screen , like our e-tracs with less jumper numbers than the V3i, that lock on like the Etrac, and maybe mutable target analysis on targets like the Ctx, the ATX is in another ball park, it's a PI detector, who knows ,what's coming, we will see, :yes::D One thing I have to look in to, on my Etrac the Id # s just aren't responding fast enough between targets for me, the last few hunts I have waited for the numbers to come back, adjusted settings , still a bit slow, welcome to craw swing speed with the etrac bro, you will miss swinging your F75 just for that reason, if you sell it, get the upgrade, I liked hunting with it last week, just for a change of pace, as far as down loading programs on the Etrac, I just make my own, use a little disc, sometimes run with no screen, as hot as I can get, running smooth, I have found on the ultimate 13 backing off to +2 from 3 runs smoother, but I am preferring the Sef 10x12 + 3 better, later bro. Kushwa, I would wait , to see what happens comes out this year, before you upgrade, worth the wait, Earl

Also the coil covers, the Surf Pi Df, and the V31 D2 10, way to hard to pry off, I also would like Fe and Co numbers on screen , like our e-tracs with less jumper numbers than the V3i, that lock on like the Etrac, and maybe mutable target analysis on targets like the Ctx, the ATX is in another ball park, it's a PI detector, who knows ,what's coming, we will see, :yes::D One thing I have to look in to, on my Etrac the Id # s just aren't responding fast enough between targets for me, the last few hunts I have waited for the numbers to come back, adjusted settings , still a bit slow, welcome to craw swing speed with the etrac bro, you will miss swinging your F75 just for that reason, if you sell it, get the upgrade, I liked hunting with it last week, just for a change of pace, as far as down loading programs on the Etrac, I just make my own, use a little disc, sometimes run with no screen, as hot as I can get, running smooth, I have found on the ultimate 13 backing off to +2 from 3 runs smoother, but I am preferring the Sef 10x12 + 3 better, later bro. Kushwa, I would wait , to see what happens comes out this year, before you upgrade, worth the wait, Earl

Do you have high trash turned on? It should give a faster recovery. I also run the display timeout on, not sure if this helps. Most sites I've been hunting have low trash, so I haven't really had any issues yet.

C2s

Trash runs high here bro, most of the time I don't take the sef 8x6 off, to much for the larger coils to take :lol: I would probably be in another world if I hunted up their one day, as it was in Ct with the gang, Earl

Back
Top Bottom