beginner detector?

maineman82

Helli everyone im Gary im 30 have a little girl and am looking to getting into metal detecting . im from maine and figured that i could find some pretty cool things here. but the thing is im completly new to this,i havent even held a metal detector before. what would be a good starter detector for me? i would like to get a waterproof one that i can use in the wet beaches but i dont want to spend a whole lot. like around 200-250 i dont thinkill find a waterproof one for that. What would be a good detector waterproof or not to start with? and arpound how much? thank you for your time

First of all welcome to the forum. The Garrett Ace 150 is used by a lot of beginners and they seem to have success with it! That should be within your price range? You can always purchase a more expensive machine at some time in the future? Good luck!

Welcome, this is the official member vote on best starter detector.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=107109

There are some things to learn about how to recover targets without damaging grass etc. Part of that is having a decent pin pointer which is a small hand held detector to locate targets in the hole. So it is a good idea to start planning for that. They range from $18 to $169 but, F2 is one of the most popular detectors, and they have kindly created a package to solve the pin pointer problem, and also included a sniper coil. Hard to beat. http://bigboyshobbies.net/shop/fisher-f2-pin-pointer-kit/

Good luck!

First of all welcome to the forum. The Garrett Ace 150 is used by a lot of beginners and they seem to have success with it! That should be within your price range? You can always purchase a more expensive machine at some time in the future? Good luck!

Doesn't the Ace 150 lack notching? I think that's why most people who go Ace get the 250.

Welcome.Try and do a search on hear of what you'd like from a machine.Your gonna get all kinds of opinions of what to get and not what to get,everyones needs are different and so are the prices,what works well for 1 person might not work well for the next,it's just like everything else in life.Do your research and read the positive posts about what you want and the negative ones as well.Again welcome.

Milhaus, I'm sure you're right. I would of suggested the 250 but I was thinking of price? In the States the 250 is probably cheaper than in the U.K., so it may be affordable?

+1 on the Fisher F-2. I've had mine 2 weeks and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

However, being a dad with a little girl myself, I know money can be an issue. The Bounty Hunter Tracker IV is a very capable machine and was my first. It will find just about anything a mid price level detector will find but without all the bells and whistles. The coil is waterproof like a lot of detectors which would allow you to detect in water as long as you don't get the control box wet. It doesn't have notching but when you learn the discriminatiion and sensitivity well enough, you'll be able to cut out a lot of the junk. AND you can get one from Hobby Lobby for about $65. (With their coupon, which is available online every week). Good luck and welcome to the forum!

I'm a newb and I use the Garrett Ace 350 and it sure does work well to find things to dig. Very easy nothing confusing on it. You and your daughter would have a blast

Welcome to the forum, Maineman!

I started out with my heart set on a Garrett 250 and had read up on them for about a month or so and was about to buy one. That's when I came across this forum and started seeing the "F2" name pop up. Took me a while to figure out it was made by Fisher. :) Anyway, the more I read and compared (all over the internet, not just here) the more I realized the F2 was right for me. I've seen sponsors on different forums state that the F2 was made after and in response to the 250 with an eye for outdoing it not only price-wise but in some areas of performance that looked good in my book.

Both are good machines. I only have experience with one of them, and I've been very happy with my decision.

DIGGER27 would make a great election campaign manager. Or car salesman. :D

Back
Top Bottom