My mind blowing discoveries from 2010 -2011

CTKidd

Elite Member
I haven't kept track of my finds. I guess maybe I should. From my finds I have bought 3mm chest waders $60, my scoop $100 and my leche $40. That is from 1.5 years of finds. I still have the gold and silver I have found plus the time spent outdoors not to mention a goodly amount of clad.

The MINDBLOWING part though is:

1) In the last year and half I have seen more sun rises and sun sets than most average people see in a life time. Think about it, how many times have you sat on the beach as the sun was setting or rising and just experienced it?

2) I have walked up on so much wild life and been able to sit there and watch it unmolested. Ever hear a buck snort trying to scare off something it can't see?

3) I have been to places in the woods where I couldn't hear a car horn. I have been so deep into the woods hiking and exploring a lead that my phone couldn't get service. When was the last time you were that disconnected from the day to day grind?

4) I have learned more about my local history in this past year that it makes me ashamed that I wasn't aware of it previously. I have found rooms in the library that only a select few people use, and I am now glad to be one of them. I have toured the local museums and seen pictures of what my town used to look like that is just amazing. Did you know that 200 french soldiers camped just north of my town for part of a winter and spring? (still trying to find the exact spot)

5) I have learned to look where I walk, and am amazed at how much people pass by everyday that can be seen with the naked eye. I have yet to take my daughter to the playscape with out eyeballing some clad.

6) Each time I dig there is an element of excitement that is like scratching a lottery ticket. Whether it is on the beach, deep in the woods, or on a totlot recovering a target is just.....fun!

Why did it take so long to discover this hobby?

I haven't kept track of my finds. I guess maybe I should. From my finds I have bought 3mm chest waders $60, my scoop $100 and my leche $40. That is from 1.5 years of finds. I still have the gold and silver I have found plus the time spent outdoors not to mention a goodly amount of clad.

1) In the last year and half I have seen more sun rises and sun sets than most average people see in a life time. Think about it, how many times have you sat on the beach as the sun was setting or rising and just experienced it?

2) I have walked up on so much wild life and been able to sit there and watch it unmolested. Ever hear a buck snort trying to scare off something it can't see?

3) I have been to places in the woods where I couldn't hear a car horn. I have been so deep into the woods hiking and exploring a lead that my phone couldn't get service. When was the last time you were that disconnected from the day to day grind?

4) I have learned more about my local history in this past year that it makes me ashamed that I wasn't aware of it previously. I have found rooms in the library that only a select few people use, and I am now glad to be one of them. I have toured the local museums and seen pictures of what my town used to look like that is just amazing. Did you know that 2000 french soldiers camped just north of my town for part of a winter and spring? (still trying to find the exact spot)

5) I have learned to look where I walk, and am amazed at how much people pass by everyday that can be seen with the naked eye. I have yet to take my daughter to the playscape with out eyeballing some clad.

6) Each time I dig there is an element of excitement that is like scratching a lottery ticket. Whether it is on the beach, deep in the woods, or on a totlot recovering a target is just.....fun!

its the little things in life, that make it all the more wonderful.

Yep I hear ya there todd - only reason I didn't buy a beeper sooner, is because I assumed it would cost a fortune. I had no idea you could get into the hobby cheaply....but naturally you want to upgrade over, and over, and over, with more accessories, over and over....and...You get the idea. :D

My closest neighbor is about a mile away you can't see any sign of another house form mine or a light at night. you can see an occasional car go by. cell phones don't work here either. I would like to be further out in the boonies but this is the best I could do.

I usually get up by 5 am so I get to see the sun come up when I go out to feed the cows, they want to fire the help if they don't get fed at the crack of dawn.

Nice. As for #4 on your list... I had never had any interest in my town. I'm from the MS delta and my wife and I are currently saving to move to the hills of TN (would love a hobby farm up there). Anyways we started going to the geneological (sp?) room in our small local library and the history of this town is amazing. I never had any interest before, but now I'm all about trying to discover the original part of my small town. I never even knew we had steamboats running the rivers around here, and a fairgrounds, and that the island in the river is supposedly a sunken steamboat, etc, etc, etc... So always check up on your history. You never know what you will find.

I started off in this hobby with an ace 250 roughly 1 1/2 years ago. Since then using my finds, I've picked up a Sov GT ($800) and an Etrac ($1500). So with an initial investment of about $450, I owe my finds jug roughly $2730.

But the relaxation and peacefulness of being on the beach at any given time, especially sunrise, is totally priceless.

So agree!!!

4) I have learned more about my local history in this past year that it makes me ashamed that I wasn't aware of it previously. I have found rooms in the library that only a select few people use, and I am now glad to be one of them. I have toured the local museums and seen pictures of what my town used to look like that is just amazing. Did you know that 200 french soldiers camped just north of my town for part of a winter and spring? (still trying to find the exact spot)

CTKidd, you said it all well. The most peaceful times I've spent were watching the sunset. I love the mystery and the puzzle of figuring out what was where and when in the past. And if I find something as evidence that's awesome. I remember as a kid the stories my grandparents would tell about our home town (Parsons, Kansas) and how it was back in the "heyday!" (looked that word up to make sure spelling it correctly and meaning is: the period that maintains the greatest strength or success; the good times.) Population in 40's and 50's was about 30000 and now about 11000. Wish I would have had a pen and a notebook when I was listening, cuz that was the most valuable research I ever could have gotten. Unfortunately, they're all gone now.:( Anyway, I too was a little ashamed about my lack of knowledge of the extremely interesting history of this area. 5-6 miles from where I live in the country was an entire town that was taken over by bandits who killed several of the town people and burned it down. All that remains is a cemetary. All private land. Darnit!! Due to the drought we've had I'm finding things that were underwater (cellar holes, rock fences) and that is so exciting!! Never find much but like to explore and try!! Got a newer/used AT Pro, but having the falsing issues so gonna have to send it to Garrett. Thank goodness still has 1 1/2 yr of warranty left. Hoping get it back before get much rain, even though we do need it, so can take advantage of low water levels. When I hear someone say they're buying/renting a new house or land,etc. I gotta ask, "how old is it? Can I, can I, can I?" Husband and family laugh at me:lol:, cuz say all I ever say is, "That would be a good place for me to detect." I'm a 45yr old metal detecting RN/grandma to 6/sports and college mom to 5 (12 thru 26)/wife/pool player/gardener/etc etc etc... and this is my solace (well besides a few beers occasionally)!!:yes: Sorry this is long-winded and all over the place, but organization is not my best quality, and talking too much is!! Thanks for the reminder of why I started and continued this therapy or hobby.:grin: HH to all! Sheila

Last edited:

This is why I chose the username I did. When I'm detecting, whether it be in a city park or deep in the mountains I am disconnected. HH!
\
Keith

My mind blowing discoveries for Sunday, October 16th, 2011

1. After 4 weeks with no bread and sugar, I have survived and lost weight but am still too fat.

2. I am still bald headed with no chance of improvement

3. It's not a good idea to eat rice cakes with jalapeno cheese spread before bedtime.

4. I am on this forum WAY too much. :lol:

We love this hobby for all the reason's everyone has mentioned in this thread. Only regret is that we wish had started earlier and before we moved from another state (would have been nice to give MD a try in a totally different part of the country).

i've found myself surrounded by peace and quiet, out in the middle of nowhere, sitting on the ground next to a freshly dug hole... i stop, take a breath, and enjoy

I couldn't have said it better myself. I got a little choked up reading it.
It's simply an amazing hobby for all the reasons you stated. The only thing better than visiting these old historic sites with a metal detector would be to visit them with a time machine, but the detector is the best we have in reality, and I'm thrilled to own one.
Thanks for that post.

Talk about exercise i bet you walk 1,000 miles. Happy hunting

Back
Top Bottom