Fishing for elephants.

Doug

Elite Member
A friend of mine owns a small farm which he built a small fishing lake and bird sanctuary.

Some of these finds are from around the small lake, he is not aware of who lost the ring but he will ask around to see if he can locate the owner.

Some of the finds are from another farm.

The pendant with the cross is most interesting but I have had a provisional ID from the FLO (Finds Liaison Officer) and she thinks it may be a Victorian replica.

I will hand it over to her next week because she is not 100% sure for a more accurate ID.

Its possible it may be of the era 5th to 11th century, personally I don't think it is.

I will update the forum once I know for sure.

Thanks for looking..........Doug.

The lake.
ZM3sMYh.jpg

The pendant.
YKBYHFm.jpg

Elephant silver ring, found at the lake.
BDhLNxJ.jpg

Buttons.
wS2Lvad.jpg

Buckles.

cHzjX4e.jpg

Odd bits.

d4Bv53j.jpg

Coins.
JcKsi9Q.jpg

The pendant.
QE6Qx6J.jpg

2nd to 4th century Roman brooch (Broken)

LMSkxw1.jpg

Badge.

KRoLfcg.jpg

Lead bale seal.

nbqENJR.jpg

r5x94zE.jpg

Silver ring.
m2SQ71s.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking grounds there! With some nice finds, too. So many buttons and buckles there...what goes on around that place? ...and the symbolic jewelry? That pendant looks like something a Vampire would wear.
Always enjoy your posts Doug. Thanks.

Nice looking grounds there! With some nice finds, too. So many buttons and buckles there...what goes on around that place? ...and the symbolic jewelry? That pendant looks like something a Vampire would wear.

NO respectable Vampire would be caught DEAD :laughing: wearing a Cross of any Kind.

Most Excellent finds Doug !!

The history alone... Greats finds! Oldest thing around here is last week's button.. sigh.

Thank you.

Congrats on some really nice finds.

Thank you.

Thank you. Reason for so many buttons is 'night soil dumping' human waste collected by horse and cart and spread over fields (fertiliser) or 'shoddy' this being old clothes ground down and spread on fields to break down the clay.

NO respectable Vampire would be caught DEAD :laughing: wearing a Cross of any Kind.

Most Excellent finds Doug !!

Thank you.

You've got some incredible over there! :yes:

Than you.

Great finds Doug! As always...

Thank you.

Cool pendant, lead seal and ring Doug!

Thank you GS.

The pendant I think is a replica of an early medieval *bracteate, I will know more on Tuesday when I take it to the local museum for a hands on ID.

*an ornament or plate of thinly beaten precious metal, typically a thin gold disc.*

Nice bunch of finds! I really like the elephant ring. One of my favorite movies was Elephant Walk, staring Elisabeth Taylor.

beephead

The local museum this morning confirmed what I thought all along that the pendant was a modern replica.

So the hunt goes on for a 'real' one. (Date range 5th to 11th century.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom