Almost as exciting as finding them in the ground!

CJayC

My son was given huge bag of pennies by his great-grandma. In it were a few wheaties. Among them, were these two:

35de6ea7931c2bd56959c726636b9ff0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Unless I'm missing something here, I don't understand why two destroyed low-value coins are 'eye-popping, mind blowing'.

Because one is, and the other is nearing, over a hundred years old. And they just happened to be in a bag of pennies that my son's nana gave to him. Up to that point, our oldest coin was a '43 steel penny.

It's one thing to think about how a coin wound in the ground for you to eventually find. But to think about all the things that had to happen for that coin to instead wind up among a hundred others for you to be given and then found? That's what is eye-popping and mind-blowing for me. And the look on my sons face as we were sorting all the coins… it was something special that I'll never forget.

I don't live in an area that's known for really old things (aside from people), so this was an incredible find for us.

I meant no offense. Maybe I'm just lucky, or more observant than most, because I find old pennies in change so often, I don't even save them unless they're in really good shape. Got an indian head last year, that I did save. Anything silver gets saved of course.

Well worn wheats have almost no market value aside from a few key dates or errors. At least you're enjoying the hobby.

I think it's great your son is interested in coin collecting! I'm assuming he is young. One word of advice: don't ever let him near an IPhone, or let him own one until he's 18. All his other hobbies/interests will go right out the window. Ask me how I know.

Because one is, and the other is nearing, over a hundred years old. And they just happened to be in a bag of pennies that my son's nana gave to him. Up to that point, our oldest coin was a '43 steel penny.

It's one thing to think about how a coin wound in the ground for you to eventually find. But to think about all the things that had to happen for that coin to instead wind up among a hundred others for you to be given and then found? That's what is eye-popping and mind-blowing for me. And the look on my sons face as we were sorting all the coins… it was something special that I'll never forget.

I don't live in an area that's known for really old things (aside from people), so this was an incredible find for us.

I'm sending you a Private message.....

My son was given huge bag of pennies by his great-grandma. In it were a few wheaties. Among them, were these two:

35de6ea7931c2bd56959c726636b9ff0.jpg

woops!

Hey craig, can you delete this post if you see it.

Back
Top Bottom