Quick hunt turns into nice silver with big stone.

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
Met up with a hunting buddy earlier today for a quick hunt at an older park in town. I arrived first and hunted around some horseshoe pits and picnic tables. There was a lot of junk in this area and lately Ive been using my 5" X 10" 18Khz coil because its lighter and narrower at the sides for trashy areas. I picked up a tapering 46 signal on the 705, and at about an inch down out popped this thing:

101_3462.jpg

Eye poppin because thats the largest stone I ever found :shock: Not sure what it is but it looks amazing. Any ideas?

101_3472.jpg

Mind blowing because it is a weighty chunk of silver :D

probably a diamond. i kid, probably glass. beautiful ring!!

Probably zirconium except its got a slight yellow tinge to it. Im not sure about the smaller stones that surround it. Think Ill take it to a jeweler and ask. The conversation will go something like this:

Me: Not sure what kind of stone this is, can you help?

Jeweler: Ummmm, its just worthless junk.......but Ill give you $40 for it.....

Been there :laughing: done that.

The dark stones are marcasite

Probably zirconium except its got a slight yellow tinge to it. Im not sure about the smaller stones that surround it. Think Ill take it to a jeweler and ask. The conversation will go something like this:

I expected that conversation with the gold ring I found. I didn't think it was much more than costume jewelry at first because of how thin it was. Imagine my surprise when the jeweler said the thinness was from wear, and that the ring was solid 14k and likely $350-500 new. It was a pleasant surprise. :yes:

As for your ring, with the size of that stone I highly doubt it's a real diamond. But since it's set in silver, it's probably more expensive than glass. Maybe cubic zirconia as you have suggested. That cut makes for a more expensive ring, in any case. Good find! :D

Back
Top Bottom