Flimsy AT Pro Coil Covers

AndrewCNJ

Elite Member
Having an issue with AT Pro coil covers. They're flimsy and cheap. I probably go through one a month. At $16-17 a piece, that adds up. Anyone having this problem - anyone have a solution?

I've been using electrical tape to cover the cracks and hold it together but it only lasts so long.

Thanks for the input.

It's not like I'm smashing the thing into the ground - just frequent use on all types of terrain - sometimes rocky. I like to keep the coil low.

I've broke mine already as well little less than a week. Mind you could be due to the cold weather. Or could have been broke when I got the detector didn't pay that much attention

The weather plays a big part in plastics being tender. Ive broken 1 only, i hit an old abandoned VW Beetle. Was the 5X8 version

That's strange!
I have been swinging mine in harsh conditions for over two years and nary a scratch.
I have heard others say that the "early" ones like mine were tougher?

Maybe they were tougher. I don't like them anyway I had one on my delta and found it would false a lot if it wasn't perfectly clean and I pretty much off road with my detectors lol so keeping them clean is impossible

Get yourself some Loctite marine epoxy and apply it to the bottom and sides of the coil with a small brush and you will never have to use a coil cover again.

coil covers are made cheap
spend $4.00 and buy some tygon tubeing
and some zip ties i did it on my atpro and works great
you can bang cobble and bounce off it works like a bumper
2" and slit it on the side hope that helps you!:D

Get yourself some Loctite marine epoxy and apply it to the bottom and sides of the coil with a small brush and you will never have to use a coil cover again.

I think I'm going to try this - any problems with false signals or anything of that sort?

:dingding:

Garrett coils are extremely tough even without a cover. I put clear Gorilla Epoxy on my 5x8 and my 8.5x11 coils and cripes man they are never going to wear now.

So I sold my back up coils on ebay after 2 years of them sitting in a box.

:dingding:

Garrett coils are extremely tough even without a cover. I put clear Gorilla Epoxy on my 5x8 and my 8.5x11 coils and cripes man they are never going to wear now.

So I sold my back up coils on ebay after 2 years of them sitting in a box.

Thanks for the info guys, very helpful

I have my 5x8 sprayed with bed liner that I got at O'Reilly auto parts. No issues with falsing. I do have a couple spots where it has come off so I need to do another application, but it doesn't take many coats of bed liner and there is a lot left in the can for several applications. Another alternative is the spray on version of Plasti-Dip. That would leave a smooth finish whereas the bed liner spray is a bit textured.

I like some of the epoxy ideas put forth here as well.

Papa

Wow going through one/month?...may want to try some bedliner spray?

Update:

I decided on the bed liner spray. Got a can at Home Depot for a few bucks and put 4 coats on the coil. Works great! Got out for a 6 hour hunt yesterday and the coil worked fine - no problems. No cracks in the liner. Looks like we solved the problem. Thanks everyone! I would recommend the same if you are breaking coil covers lol

Back
Top Bottom