Old Bottle Help

yacorie

Elite Member
I was hoping someone here could offer an opinion or even better be able to date or ID this bottle. I found this bottle snorkeling in about 20 feet of water off Block Island, Rhode Island. Island has history going back to 1600s and there are 100s of shipwrecks documented around the island.

Found the bottle snorkeling which isn't uncommon and thought nothing of it. However, when I got it home and was looking at it, I realized that it might be older than I initially thought. It could also be modern for all I know.

There are no seams, the glass is pretty thick and the top of the bottle is not uniform. Certainly appears old and blown to me but I also don't really see any air bubbles. I had water in the bottle during the pictures so that is the line you see -its the water line.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

IMG_20140731_084103.jpg

IMG_20140731_084113.jpg

IMG_20140731_084132.jpg

IMG_20140731_084154.jpg

Are you guys able to definitely date the era based on the lip top? Just curious as bottles are not something I've collected. We used to smash them when we found old dumps etc.....wish I had known as a kid about bottles.

Anyway, we always find a ton of bottles out there snorkeling and never bring any up or bring any back - not even sure why we brought this one. My son brought back an embossed diet pepsi bottle that had been in a fire.

I appreciate the info.

Are you guys able to definitely date the era based on the lip top? Just curious as bottles are not something I've collected. We used to smash them when we found old dumps etc.....wish I had known as a kid about bottles.

Anyway, we always find a ton of bottles out there snorkeling and never bring any up or bring any back - not even sure why we brought this one. My son brought back an embossed diet pepsi bottle that had been in a fire.

I appreciate the info.

Yeah as a digger and bottle collector for many years you can recognize the bottle form and easily determine the age of manufacture and use. Many of these wine bottles are European manufacture and as stated yours dates to turn of last century. When I first started digging many of these came home with me but after a while you dig so many it's not worth the effort. Older bottles of this type would be pontiled and/or be free blown. Yours is very etched due to ocean action but is likely a turn mold bottle so any seam is not likely visable . It is however a mold blown technique with an applied top.

I would bring up all embossed bottles of color. Bring up bottles with bubbles in the glass. If you find cork top whiskeys they can be worth a lot!

Thanks guys - I appreciate the information.

Maybe next time we'll bring up all the ones we find. There are a few locations where there are bottles all over the place but we never of bringing them up. Maybe we'll start bringing them home and if nothing else - they can be recycled.

Back
Top Bottom