• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What is it? Update:Identified

Kapi

Forum Supporter
I posted this over in the beach section as I found it deep on the beach near Ponte Vedra while detecting with my new toy the blue Excal 1000.

What is it? Part of a button? It came out of the sand black and I had no idea what it was so decided to tumble it for a short bit with some water and soap and was surprised to see this cool detail. Chose not to clean it further as it looks great to me as it is :)

Update:

A reply from another forum:

Your find is part of a button. Specifically, it is the front portion of a brass 3-piece US Army Staff Officer button. That type was issued from the 1830s to 1902. Yours is the "high-dome" version, which dates it from the 1850s to 1902. Unfortunately, because its back is missing, there no way to time-date it any more narrowly.

Attachments

• unknown 1 9-18-15.jpg
    unknown 1 9-18-15.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 280
  • unknown 2 9-18-15.jpg
    unknown 2 9-18-15.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 281
  • unknown 3 9-18-15.jpg
    unknown 3 9-18-15.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 275
  • unknown 4 9-18-15.jpg
    unknown 4 9-18-15.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 276
Maybe the top (or front) of a General Services Eagle Staff Button. Something like this:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-8.jpg
    FullSizeRender-8.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 273
Maybe the top (or front) of a General Services Eagle Staff Button. Something like this:

Aha! I can see the stars around mine as well. Though mine is in much worse shape, still way cool!

Attachments

• unknown 5.jpg
    unknown 5.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 266
And I believe the regular General Services Eagle Button would not have that rim or stars around the bottom.

Kapidr , congrats on the GSB , and even though it's shows wear , it's still a great button and an awesome find .

I believe that to be correct Reb , and by the way that's a good looking button you have.

Yes, it is one of my favorites. It is just too bad that it is only the front. At least, what is there is in excellent shape.

Back
Top Bottom