civil war button found in Montana

MTJosh

Elite Member
Out west we don't expect to find many if any civil war era finds. detected a logging camp ghost town here in Montana on sunday. Unfortunately first find was a 2007 ATC token (the diggers team). their way of letting me know too bad we have already been here. They unfortunately live 25 miles from me so lots of competition and for those of us with jobs not the time available to hit every spot for miles around like them. I am sure I will find many more of these tokens. No coins found then. But fun relics, headstamps *most 1900-1920 date range), draft horseshoe, suspender clips (one with pat date 1892).
But then a nice military button pops out. it is good shape. full shank and writing on the back. the back has "Hortsmann Bros Co. Phila " Once home look up the company and the data says this was made from 1859-1863. The front appears to be a union general service button. If so this would be my oldest US button (Europe have found older of course) and first civil war era find.
If it is not what I think it is, please let me know.

Attachments

• button front.jpg
    button front.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 506
  • button back.jpg
    button back.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 464
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=218213

I referenced the above because it is the same button you have. It is the button that was adopted starting in 1876.

Thanks. Question - this button the shield is not raised like the one Bailey found. Photo looks odd I know. I will double check when I get back from business trip.
Also the back was produced from 1859-1863 according to the data from button websites I found. did the button companies hold the back for over 13yrs until using it? I assumed with the data from the back of the button the button was manufactured from 1859-1863. I am new to anything civil war related (not many items out west)
Thanks again for the info.

First off, you may be right. I should have paid more attention to the backmark. According to the backmark book, that backmark was used at least in 1860 and until at least 1880. There appears to be more than one backmark in use during that time. We dug a couple of Georgia buttons on a site that definitely was only civil war. On our example there were rays inside the inner circle. Those are generally thought to be civil war era. Your wings are more like the ones make after the war, but that doesn't always hold true. Yours may be a war era one of them, because all the ones post war did have a raised shield on them. That'a a hard one, but I could definitely go along with it being war era.

Nice button but.....

It is post Civil War button. When dating by back marks take into account the backs construction and lettering of the mark. Very few Civil War marks has all capitol letters but, the chicken eagle on this button is a dead give away to being late.

Flying Chicken

Yea, the button is Indian War period but is still cool. Most folks call that style button the flying chicken.

A ton of action happened in Montana so I would diffidently hit that spot some more . Those old soldiers had some tough times and left some good stuff behind. Some great military camps out there.

You wouldn't believe the array of Confederate buttons that were found at the Battle of Little Big Horn.....just saying!

Congrats on the button....hey, everyone loves chicken.

montana

Nice find, I'm on vacation in Big Arm Montana for the month and I've been having fun detecting old homesteads. Going out today for some detecting. Have not found much of anything but enjoying he weather and scenery.

Back
Top Bottom