New Cellar Hole With Maybe A Revolutionary Navy Button

I just dug a bunch of buttons and was wondering how you got that one so clean? That thing is awesome, good luck nailing down the origin!

Thanks. I don't have any magic cleaning trick to offer. Almost all the buttons I dig are nasty. This is just a case of a very high quality button and the design held the gilt. I was shocked when that anchor was shining in the sun.

Usually I use a soft brass brush and olive oil soak will help...repeat until happy.

Only do this if your button has no value!!!

Thanks for clarifying. What happened to the one you use to own??

Sold it. Wasn't something I found so there wasn't the same attachment.

You sort of said it best in another post, and that's you can't rule anything out. It definitely seems to fit the style of being a Naval or Marine officer button but as I said definitely not common.

The button in the Cobb collection is a British Royal Navy Captain's button and has absolutely no connection to GW buttons other than being purchased together. I think they might have been on the same coat for some reason. There's a story why it's there and all other buttons that look like it are just Royal Navy. Note the price... it was actually about right for a non dug Rev War period Navy button. Obviously the bidders didn't really care about it, and what I told you is why.

Very interesting, once again thanks for the clarification. You seem to be very knowledgeable and opinionated, do your crudentials go beyond metal detecting?

Thanks man. These look like good leads and I will follow up with these guys.

I'm curious what it is. Tice as you may know is an American button expert. Tim Bert is someone who just has a general interest and some knowledge in British Naval, Shipping buttons etc.. It's a starting point but I wouldn't be surprised if neither can give you a definitive answer. That said, if Tice thinks you can rule it out as American then you can focus more on contacting British experts.

This is from Don Troiani. (Rev War military button expert) I guess someone had already sent him the picture unless he caught it browsing a forum. Anyway, it's a pretty vague answer but at least rules out Marines, and maybe American. You might have a VERY hard time matching that one, and even if you do, a match means nothing unless there's a reference to go along with it.

"I saw it earler today. Looks British Navy (Marines are always silver) might be post war or a variant."

Update here is some insight on the button.

Below is the response from 3 different gentlemen that work in the field who I reached out to. All the answers vary slightly. I did some research on my own and did find a sea captain existed in the town who did serve in the continental navy revolutionary war....just trying to tie him to the sight through old maps..but no luck yet. I guess what I do know it's absolutely a military button (my first) and before 1812 for sure. I will continue to dig and if I have any definity will keep you posted. I am just happy to have my first military button and a find I won't soon forget.

***First off let me say that I think this one to be English and they are not my specialty field. What I can offer you is not fact, but opinion. This one appears to be a little later than the dates of the coins, perhaps 1790's or later, but pre-1812. It appears to be English made, and I would suggest that it is English. There are scores and scores of English naval button varieties from the late 18th and early 19th Centuries. I am not aware of a good reference or resource that covers them.

***This looks like a button from the American Continental Navy, ship's officer
rank.
You know ... the time when a bunch of colonials kicked out the Brits.
It also fits the time period of the coins you found.
A similar button can be found in the book .... "Military Buttons of the
American Revolution" by Don Troiani ... Page 107, # ACNMe

***A very interesting button. It looks British , probably Royal Navy .From the photo the plating looks like it was gilt correct? I'll have to check a bit further to see if it's a known pattern, might date a little after the revolution .

Below is the response from 3 different gentlemen that work in the field who I reached out to. All the answers vary slightly. I did some research on my own and did find a sea captain existed in the town who did serve in the continental navy revolutionary war....just trying to tie him to the sight through old maps..but no luck yet. I guess what I do know it's absolutely a military button (my first) and before 1812 for sure. I will continue to dig and if I have any definity will keep you posted. I am just happy to have my first military button and a find I won't soon forget.

***First off let me say that I think this one to be English and they are not my specialty field. What I can offer you is not fact, but opinion. This one appears to be a little later than the dates of the coins, perhaps 1790's or later, but pre-1812. It appears to be English made, and I would suggest that it is English. There are scores and scores of English naval button varieties from the late 18th and early 19th Centuries. I am not aware of a good reference or resource that covers them.

***This looks like a button from the American Continental Navy, ship's officer
rank.
You know ... the time when a bunch of colonials kicked out the Brits.
It also fits the time period of the coins you found.
A similar button can be found in the book .... "Military Buttons of the
American Revolution" by Don Troiani ... Page 107, # ACNMe

***A very interesting button. It looks British , probably Royal Navy .From the photo the plating looks like it was gilt correct? I'll have to check a bit further to see if it's a known pattern, might date a little after the revolution .

First reply I believe is good. 2nd is way off the mark, and 3rd sounds on the right track along with number one.

PS: You do know the quote I posted above is the guy who wrote the book right? I don't think he'd miss one from page 107. :yes:

Also you are most likely wasting your time trying to place it with the Continental Navy because the construction of this button is much different than what they wore during that era, but is consistent with the 1790s/1812 time range for the British. And as stated above there is many variants.

That button and the way it cleaned up is absolutely amazing. I hope its as old as you want it to be. It is tough trying to find with a metal detector or even affordably buy buttons from that period. Big congrats!

Going to throw my guess in there and say that it is probably an early Spanish Navy button from around 1812.

Here's a pic of their logo...

Last edited:
Going to throw my guess in there and say that it is probably an early Spanish Navy button from around 1812.

Here's a pic of their logo...

You know it being something other than British or American also crossed my mind. It does look British but I certainly wouldn't rule anything out.

Contact John, his email is on the site.

http://www.artifacts.org/Marked_Buttons.htm

Here is a picture showing one similar enough to say it is possible.

Attachments

• 1793_Navy.jpg
    1793_Navy.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 191
Thanks Ozarks And Iron Patch

I can see how you need to include the Spanish.
Two things that I have noticed, that I think will be key in narrowing this down.
Facing the button the majority I see the rope ends on the right where this button ends on the left. A very unique attribute is also the anchor itself has a ring to attach the rope, but this button has two rings one on the anchor and another on the rope. I'm not sure I've seen another image with 2 rings.

I know it's a zombie thread, but...

Was anyone ever able to completely identify this button?

Back
Top Bottom